Route types

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Charlie599
Regular
Projects: (letters of) Devotion; Afterland

Route types

#1 Post by Charlie599 »

Hello ^-^
This is a very broad topic but I'd like feedback on whether or not people prefer clear/obvious Actual Routes in their games? Yes/No/Why?
It doesn't have to be specific to any genre, but the most apparent would be in romance vns.

What I mean by routes, is a set path that you pick and stick to - Routes that can completely change the story (like Nameless), or ones that show you who you've chosen to pursue (like School Festival).* Or possibly a game without set "routes" at all, where the player can flit through characters for the majority of the game? (Has that ever been done?)

*I loved both games by the way <3

Thanks for reading :D
Last edited by Charlie599 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dylan_Bain
Regular
Organization: Dylan Bain Games

Re: Route types

#2 Post by Dylan_Bain »

Look at it this way - do you know what happens in life?

This is what I mean, and one of the main reasons I don't love Dating Sims -- in real life, you are likely to fight with a girlfriend, or talk to girls other than her. However, doing either of these things in a dating sim just make it harder for you to date her.

I would love the idea of unobvious endings, it makes it more interesting.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52#p365552 Curently NOT Accepting Commisions!

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#3 Post by Alera »

For me the only time when I want obvious routes is when I'm trying to get all the endings and I'm too lazy to think about it. :lol:

But I usually don't like them as much. Especially the first time I play the game, I always want the ending and outcome to be a surprise. Then after that I start to reflect on my choices and think about which ones affected my route and how.

But there's also another danger- having a game that is too chaotic and people can't read your patterns at all. There has to be some logic to all of it and it should be something not that hard to pick up.

It also depends on what mechanic you're going for. If you're going for pure dating, don't make it complicated and give the player what they want- the boy/girl they want. If you want to tell more of a story with a fairly complex narrative, then I think choices can be a bit subtle and the routes- 'hidden'.
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Charlie599
Regular

#4 Post by Charlie599 »

Dylan_Bain wrote:I would love the idea of unobvious endings, it makes it more interesting.
Alera wrote:Especially the first time I play the game, I always want the ending and outcome to be a surprise.
Same here :D
But what I'm getting at is more the coding of routes rather than their content; not their endings or even how you get their endings, but when and if you actually Pick them as your route - the person you're essentially stuck with until the end of the game.
Do people enjoy that? The knowledge that you're on the path for that person or completing that persons' story? Or would you prefer a "common" route that branches to the others, but has the ability to turn in on itself?
For instance, maybe he's a stalker and you dump him halfway through the game to find another guy; that would allow more freedom of choice but eliminate the need for routes.
I digress. >.>

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. :oops:

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#5 Post by Alera »

Hmmm...well definitely don't force people to stick with jerks or stalkers, creeps and others, I would say. Guess it's a good idea to let them switch routes then and dump the guy they don't like. But then if it's known that the guy is a stalker and his route is unpleasant, who would want to ever play their route till the end? Unless the ending is where you punch the guy xD

I usually don't mind choosing a route and sticking to it this way, but sometimes the choice itself might be hard. Yet millions of people every time have to choose whether to get Pokemon A or B and that seems to work for them. *shrug*
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

#6 Post by Ryuushiro »

In my opinion, I think both games were the love interests have distinct routes and games where the love interests kinda 'share' a common route can be good! I have no preference, really.

But I don't like to feel stuck in a route. If I feel like the LI I chose is being a jerk, I would want to leave them and go to another route. For that I usually start a new game though, we don't really see the option to change routes very frequently.
But it would be a very nice addition to a VN!

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#7 Post by trooper6 »

I don't care as long as a) my choices matter, b) the writing is good
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Charlie599
Regular

#8 Post by Charlie599 »

Thank you for the replies ^-^

Also, thank you trooper6 for putting that clock recipe in your signature! I needed it so bad :shock: :D

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

No worries! Just a note, I think I wanted to do one more tweak to the clock...which I hope to get to over the weekend!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978