How to start talking to followers

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

How to start talking to followers

#1 Post by ameliori »

A hundred people are following our tumblr recently.. And I wanna talk to all of em and shower them in sparkles and cookies...

...B-But how do I even start?! >___<

I'm a bit awkward in starting convos with people.. I don't think I've ever started one myself (except at gunpoint lol). Once I get through this hurdle though, I've been told that I'm quite fun to talk to. I just don't know how to begin the conversations :< Any tips??
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

Re: How to start talking to followers

#2 Post by kisa »

Start with "Hi"... If that fails... Pull out the gun...

Joking aside... Just say hi and if they know who you are, they're likely to have their own ideas of what to talk about.
Just relax and try not to be too nervous (at least visibly). XD

Also, I hear dumping a bucket of the aforementioned sparkles on their heads and running is a good way to get even more followers... You may even see stars at the end of things. XD
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#3 Post by firecat »

talk to them like any other human being, if that doesnt work then dont push yourself to become a different person. one good advice would be to not reply to every comment because people are not expecting you and no one like a "thanks for following" "thanks for the reply" robot person.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#4 Post by Akitsuki »

I don't really know how tumblr works (I do have one, but it's not really active) but I guess you can ask anything to your followers through tumblr? They'll definitely reply and you can reply back, and so forth.

kitsubasa
Regular
Projects: Inverness Nights
Tumblr: kitsubasa

#5 Post by kitsubasa »

Tumblr isn't the best platform for conversations for a few reasons that it'd take a while to list, but if you want to communicate with people on it, best way is generally to post your work or odds and ends about your life/interests, and see who responds. You'll never get everyone talking with you, or even a majority of them, since for a lot of people they're seeing a deluge of blogs on their dash or they're only interested in specific bits of your creative work. But if you talk about what you're doing/passionate about, at least one or two people are likely to connect with that and reply of their own accord.

(for reference, I have 1.5k followers on Tumblr but I barely talk to any of them or have any contact outside of them reblogging stuff from me. I gained most of my followers through fan VAing for Homestuck, so they don't want to interact outside of listening to my voicing. And that's cool! You just need to be understanding of why people followed and why they might not be interested in communicating.)

TuttyTheFruity
Regular
Completed: A!MGIADSFTDOH!, Palinurus, Our Home., Seeds of Sylvia, Last Continue Customization Prototypes
Projects: Citrus Girls
Organization: Watercress Studios
IRC Nick: TuttyTheFruity
Tumblr: therecettearsarereal
Github: TuttyTheFruity

#6 Post by TuttyTheFruity »

Tumblr is chiefly a content aggregate and interacting with followers is actually fairly hard without direct messaging. Consider advertising other avenues for potential hangouts on your tumblr to see who swings by. Art streams are especially fun and a solid option.
Check out our Maximum Monster Month submission, Ah! My Girlfriend is a Demon Summoned from the Depths of Hell!

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#7 Post by ameliori »

kisa wrote:Start with "Hi"... If that fails... Pull out the gun...

Joking aside... Just say hi and if they know who you are, they're likely to have their own ideas of what to talk about.
Just relax and try not to be too nervous (at least visibly). XD

Also, I hear dumping a bucket of the aforementioned sparkles on their heads and running is a good way to get even more followers... You may even see stars at the end of things. XD
Lol kisa, that's amazing, I'm going to do that.. Err not the gun part lol.

Yeah, it seems that Tumblr is not the best place to start talking to people since they think the "like" and "reblog" are approval enough. What do you think are better avenues to talk to people? Sorry! Not so great with social media!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#8 Post by Kailoto »

TuttyTheFruity wrote:Tumblr is chiefly a content aggregate and interacting with followers is actually fairly hard without direct messaging. Consider advertising other avenues for potential hangouts on your tumblr to see who swings by. Art streams are especially fun and a solid option.
Oooh, streams are fantastic. Whenever I manage to catch an artist I like or such on one it's really fun.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#9 Post by kaleidofish »

ameliori wrote:Yeah, it seems that Tumblr is not the best place to start talking to people since they think the "like" and "reblog" are approval enough. What do you think are better avenues to talk to people? Sorry! Not so great with social media!
I think Twitter's pretty fun, even if sometimes it's like tweeting into a void. XD It also a great way to interact with fellow developers & writers, not just fans/followers. There was another thread with suggestions of who to follow on Twitter as a way to get started.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.