Virus - ideas help? o.o

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
EccentricKarma

Virus - ideas help? o.o

#1 Post by EccentricKarma »

Heya. I finally got some time from irl madness to work on games a bit. Currently, I'm drawing for someone else's game, but I'm also in the middle of drafting my story and characters out. And wondering if I could get some help. :oops:

It's called Virus, and if I'm successful with this, it'll have multiple games, so there's a second title attached to the first one. This one is going to be called Virus+Infestation. It's completely in nvl mode. It's a boy/girl game, but it's not a game that focuses on romance. It's a thriller/horror game... of course, it's only a visual novel, so there's only so much I can do.

But anyway it's about a boy named Gabriel who has fallen into a coma from an unidentified sickness. He was moved into the house of Sir Sigismund during that time, and then wakes up a long time later in that very house. During his coma, his hometown apparently "changed" and strange events including townsfolk going "crazy" and murders start happening. The basic point of the plot is to figure out what's causing the town to act like this and try to find a way to stop it before Gabriel loses his mind as well.

I hope that made sense. I can write long stories, but I'm no good at summarizing things into small descriptions. -_-; But well... anyone who knows Higurashi or Resident Evil 4 will kind of get an idea of what kind of story it is. I know that's gonna turn alot of people away from it, but that's the kind of imagination I have.

Anyway!! On to the questions! I was going to have four heroines in the story, but I can only think of three. I'm hoping to make one more so I can have more violence I mean so the story can last longer. But any ideas on a fourth girl would be greatly appreciated! Here's the list of main charas I have so far (ps, everyone has a dark side for when something goes wrong in the game):

Gabriel- Main chara. Terribly ill health.

Fleur- A new resident who just moves into their town after Gabriel wakes from his coma. She has a real cute personality and she starts to visit Gabriel after meeting him once. She starts to grow increasingly worried for his health.
Dark side: She becomes extremely obsessed with Gabriel and grows violent towards anyone else. She believes that Gabriel can get better if he stays in town. After finding out he doesn't want to stay there anymore, she grows violent towards him. Wields a cleaver.

Victoria- Gabriel's childhood friend. She quiet and cool-headed and dresses very properly. They lost contact after he got sick, but after he woke up, she found him again and claims she wants to take him away from the town, as she's suspicious about the people in it.
Dark side: (Eeh.. this is only supposed to happen if Gabriel starts going crazy.) Victoria finally believes that Gabriel can't be saved and decides it's best to kill him. And then she believes the entire town is also onto her. So she develops a deep state of paranoia.

Seven- She lives in the same house as Gabriel, though she isn't related to Sir Sigismund at all. She seems really soft spoken and sweet at first (and she's very short for her age), Though she's the most mysterious character and seems to know why everything is happening.
Dark side: Gaah.. can't reveal that because it spoils everything. Let's just say.. she gets really creepy? D:

So that's them. I was wondering what other kind of girl would fit into the story, so all kinds of ideas will be welcomed! Thankyou!! ^^;

Scooter Fox

Re: Virus - ideas help? o.o

#2 Post by Scooter Fox »

EccentricKarma wrote:But well... anyone who knows Higurashi or Resident Evil 4 will kind of get an idea of what kind of story it is. I know that's gonna turn alot of people away from it, but that's the kind of imagination I have.
It certainly won't turn me away, actually I like it much better than a usual love story, though I can't get rid of impression that Fleur = Rena and especially Seven = Rika. ;)
EccentricKarma wrote:But any ideas on a fourth girl would be greatly appreciated!
How about this then: she's main character's neighbour (or anything else that would allow him to meet her from time to time without being her friend or relative) and a year or two older than him. She's known as a rather antisocial person, maybe an anarchist wannabe. She's neither shy nor quiet. Rather than that she openly shows her contempt towards others and because of that she prefers not to talk to anyone. If she's old enough, she could be living alone. He never knew her well; in the past she either ignored him or was impolite (if not hostile) towards him. When Gabriel wakes up, he gradually realizes that everyone changed for worse. This girl however seems exactly the same as she was back then. He eventually loses his faith in everyone around him and seeks her help because he considers her to be the only not affected person besides him. In case the player fails to achieve a good ending, she could turn out to be an insane serial killer, but with a mind clear enough to lead the main character into believing that he can completely trust her. Just imagine the possibilities of how creepy this ending could be. ;) This path could be hard to pursue as the main character never thought of her as his friend. It could also be a reversal of Victoria's path - here it would up to Gabriel to convince her that they should leave the town as soon as possible.

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#3 Post by Hyperguy »

I'll PM you my ideas for additional characters so as not to spoil revealing information about them.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

Wow, I loved Higurashi, and this premise looks very interesting. As for a fourth girl, I think it would be interesting to have a girl that nobody else seems to know about or see. Ghosts are cool too. @_@

EccentricKarma

#5 Post by EccentricKarma »

Scooter Fox wrote:I can't get rid of impression that Fleur = Rena and especially Seven = Rika. ;)
Aha.. yeah.. I thought it might look that way. XD; Thankfully, I designed Fleur so that she doesn't look a thing like Rena. And Seven has a more gothic lolita look to her. I'm happy to say that Seven's background and what she is is completely different from Rika. So hopefully I'll be able to get some rough sketches up soon. I just need to design Victoria.

I REALLY like that idea of your girl. If I may ask, are there any images in your mind as to what she may look like? ^^ I think she could fit in the story very well by the way you put it.
Hyperguy wrote:I'll PM you my ideas for additional characters so as not to spoil revealing information about them.
Thankyou. Character idea are gratefully welcomed!
sake-bento wrote:Wow, I loved Higurashi, and this premise looks very interesting.
Thanks! I'm a little more relieved to know that there will at least be a handful of people who will be interested. XD;

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#6 Post by Hyperguy »

Catarina - A foreigner from a neighboring town. She encounters Gabriel for the first time when she visits Sir Sigismund. Distant and possessive, she has an unusual interest in the town and Gabriel also.
Dark side: Out of frustration she blames Gabriel for his illness and decides the only way he'll get better is if she's the one taking care of him. Her frustration turns to sadism as she punishes Gabriel when her recovery methods fail.

Additional information PM'ed.

Scooter Fox

#7 Post by Scooter Fox »

EccentricKarma wrote:If I may ask, are there any images in your mind as to what she may look like? ^^
I'm afraid visual part of character design isn't my strong point. That's all I had in mind: http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/4303 ... izenz5.jpg. Add to that a dark T-shirt and some worn out jeans and voilà - a generic design is ready! ;)

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#8 Post by Kura »

This sounds pretty awesome, although I'm not very familiar with either Higurashi or Resident Evil. As for a fourth girl, I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions of my own, but I really like the ideas already given, especially Scooter Fox's.

I'm willing to give a hand with character design sketches, though.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

EccentricKarma

#9 Post by EccentricKarma »

Thanks guys! The number of responses has really made me excited just to start working on it. ^^ I'm not going to make a thread for it yet in the game progresses topics yet because I haven't done a whole lot towards the game yet. But in the meantime, here are a few sketches.

Gabriel-
(he only has one portrait with a few expressions because he only appears in screen once or twice throughout the entire game):

And then there's Fleur.
(UPDATED)

She's gonna have quite a few different portraits/poses. Mehh.. I'm trying to think of another outfit for her.. but my fashion sense plummets below the earth.. though I'm into vintage clothes like these.

Anyway! I've decided on a fourth heroine, thanks everyone! ^^ Now I needa build up a list of side characters. So suggestions are like I said before, gratefully welcomed!
Last edited by EccentricKarma on Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#10 Post by sake-bento »

Wow, you have very nice art. Hmm...from the description I imagined Gabriel would look younger. Ahh, the joy of actual visuals.

In my mind, every good story needs twins. If it's horror, then preferably a boy twin and a girl twin who are very possessive of each other and lash out against anyone else who comes close. But I have a huge bias towards twins because I am one. >.>

There should be at least one more male character, I think. Possibly someone who can start out as the "best friend nice guy" type but who holds a lot of his own secrets or is using the protagonist for his own gain.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by monele »

Very nice art indeed ^^... One bishie and one moé to go! :D

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#12 Post by Deji »

the conce`pt sounds nice =D
I wouldn't have given away the "dark side" information, thou, it's too spoilery! hehe X3
And your art is love <3
I'll be looking forawrd to this project =D
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

#13 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

I'd love to beta test and if i could help with special FX i'll do so too. You may have seen my skills or not so go to my topic on "Star Trek: Voyager NOW RECRUITING" and you'll see my work (with the aid of other online sprite makers/video games/renders). As for ideas, I don't have any as of yet however if i get any (which a scatterbrained person like me ALWAYS gets) you'll get some soon ;) thats it for now ^^; peace! (^^)v
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png