is recruitment possible...?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
morg
Regular
Projects: Cupid's Affair
Tumblr: n-morg

is recruitment possible...?

#1 Post by morg »

So lately a predicament has fallen upon me ...my laptop's charger has broken T_T

since all i have with me rn is my phone and tablet it basically means I can't program (duh) and i probably cant make a proper looking GUI either ..
but i really want to make my own project, i have some nice ideas and ill be willing to provide the art and recruit a team for the rest (like, people who dont have ripped off laptop chargers x_x)

So do you think it'll be possible to manage a project from my phone? Conisdering the project won't be commercial ofcourse

wendybirdx
Regular

Re: is recruitment possible...?

#2 Post by wendybirdx »

Well, if you recruit, I'm sure you can at least lead your team's members.

If you aren't recruiting a writer and don't feel too bad about writing on your phone, you can contribute with the script, dialogue and team management (though the script might not be as well formatted).

If you're providing artwork and it isn't digital, I'd make sure you have some sort of "workplace" (school, your job) where you can scan your work, as well as make use of proper materials that will give you a good amount of contrast and color without editing too much, like inks, for example. I'd scrap uncolored pencil sketches unless you plan to scan and draw on them when you have your computer back. Of course you can use those if you wish, I just don't think it will be best for your project in terms of attracting readers unless it's very well polished.

Honestly, since you'll probably need your computer eventually and chargers aren't too expensive, I'd just wait until I could get a new one. Especially since you can work on tying the story together and dialogue writing and concept sketches in a notebook or something, which should be enough time to find a way to buy a new charger. That would just be my way of approaching it, though. (:

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#3 Post by firecat »

you can draw on your phone or tablet its been done before and also the one good thing about python is that you dont need to have a code program to write a code. its possible to just type in the code by connecting a tablet into a keyboard with bluetooth then find a notepad to write. once you have the charger for your laptop you can just copy and paste the code.

its all about how you use today's technology, so go find apps that can help you with your project.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#4 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

I think it's still possible to work on a project using a phone (depending on the type of the phone and what it can do)
It'll be pretty hard since it's really easier to work using a PC, but it's still manageable, with efforts ofc
also you need to see what kind of work you can help with.

Art is possible, like some sketches, and probably concept art (hopefully your phone camera is good, since it's pretty difficult to see the drawing if it's all blurry). If you can't access scanner, you can search for a team member who's willing to help with lining and coloring.

Writing probably the most workable using a phone, you still can type using a phone, and contact the members of your team is pretty easy with those app for mobile these days.

I do sometimes contact other people using my phone when I can't access my laptop, it's pretty difficult, but I'm able to help a bit (better than nothing I guess)

It'll be better if you can buy a new laptop charger though, I think there are some for sale at shops, but you can help with things as long as you want to try!

morg
Regular

#5 Post by morg »

oh, yeah, i forgot to mention i do all the artwork using my finger and a helpful drawing program i have downloaded for my tablet ^-^

I was actually wondering how to write with your phone? i'm pretty sure there will be a bunch of errors since renpy is picky about every block...
or do i just write it all however and leave all the dirty work for the programmer? xD

And yeah, i dont think that great of a VN can be done without a laptop, i was just wondering how far you could go without one. I mean, VNs were designed for latops after all. So i'll probably just start going in small steps till i find the charger i need
(which is actually like a treasure. I have a Notebook and if you DO find a charger in the stores were I live it's ripped off...My old one melted actually because they used the wrong material smh)

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#6 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

morg wrote: I was actually wondering how to write with your phone? i'm pretty sure there will be a bunch of errors since renpy is picky about every block...
or do i just write it all however and leave all the dirty work for the programmer? xD
writing the story plot, characters, helping with the script and other person can help edit them into an acceptable format for ren'py?
as I said before, it's possible but need effort, so yeah, you need to edit them out all again, and that's what a team for. It's a lot different if you're aiming to make the VN alone using a phone by yourself.
And yeah, i dont think that great of a VN can be done without a laptop, i was just wondering how far you could go without one. I mean, VNs were designed for latops after all. So i'll probably just start going in small steps till i find the charger i need
(which is actually like a treasure. I have a Notebook and if you DO find a charger in the stores were I live it's ripped off...My old one melted actually because they used the wrong material smh)
after reading this I do have to disagree although using a crazy idea
like making a VN, manually, so you re-draw/rewrite every script, characters and re-scan them again and again/took photo using your phone lol
......it's possible, with a LOT of papers, coloring tools, and tracing papers.... different part for character, BGs, and GUI..
but yeah we need PC to scan the thing to make it acceptable, and again using PC to make it distributive for other ppl //just ignore me rambling
....or the simplest thing is try to borrow a laptop/PC from someone or a friend who might want to make a VN? :lol:

RotGtIE
Veteran

#7 Post by RotGtIE »

Buy a new laptop charger. It'll run you something like ten to twenty bucks.

Can't afford the expenditure? Sell off some stuff you never use or go mow a couple of lawns. It's twenty bucks to replace a busted piece of equipment.

You're gonna need that laptop. Keeping it powered is a worthy expense. Go dive in your couch and scrounge up the change for it.

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#8 Post by Sorakun »

morg wrote:And yeah, i dont think that great of a VN can be done without a laptop
This statement, I'm sorry but just no. You could make an amazing VN with just pen and paper, Can a manga not be great because it doesn't have an electronic copy?
It is all about how much you are willing to put into the project. If you are recruiting others to work on the project as well then you can just get someone who can put together your script into a working program, have an artist add the correct art then have a composer add in fitting music for the different scenes.

Honestly when developing a game you should start with a pen and paper prototype anyway, sketch out your idea, run through it, have a few people look through it and give you their opinion. Make edits depending on that feedback, try again with some new people, make edits. Do this a few times and then start making a digital product. This way you will have a steady ground and know what you are working towards. It will also mean that all your team members can work and not have to wait on eachother as they will already have everything they need to move forward.

[/rant]

Anyway, wish you luck with the project and don't assume just because something isn't the way it is "usually" done, it means that it can't turn out as good.

morg
Regular

#9 Post by morg »

You're right..my laptop is precious T_T
even though the actual challenge isnt the expense, it's just that you cant FIND one in the stores

so i'll just have to free my time up to stop by every electronics store...till i find whoever fits the glass slipper xD

@sorakun: its just because i do pretty much everything with my laptop...if it could receive calls then i'd just throw out my phone...call it old or whatever but i find it extremely convenient. And since i'm so reliable on digital art, programming digital everything really i'm not sure i even remember the last time i picked up a pen and paper..:O

but you know his has gotten really interesting. I'm actually gonna go challenge myself on making a VN without my laptop. See if i make it or break it...something to do over the summer xD

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#10 Post by firecat »

Sorakun wrote:
morg wrote:And yeah, i dont think that great of a VN can be done without a laptop

if i ever have time to make another novel outside my busy work, ill make a VN without a laptop.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#11 Post by Sorakun »

@morg well don't forget to create a development thread and post how things are going. Good to hear you arn't giving up on it

@firecat I love that you copy her quote from my comment instead of hers... xD

morg
Regular

#12 Post by morg »

i'll be sure to make a devolpment and recruitment thread after I tidy up my ideas, get a clear outline of the VN and draw some sprites to advertise for people to recruit

Oh and if anyone else wants to challenge themselves then you're more than welcome. Pretty sure this gonna be super fun

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

morg wrote:You're right..my laptop is precious T_T
even though the actual challenge isnt the expense, it's just that you cant FIND one in the stores
You probably want a universal charger. Amazon has a bunch here, for under $20 - if you don't have a particularly weird laptop, it'll likely work.

http://amzn.to/1HIYeeF
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

morg
Regular

#14 Post by morg »

@Pytom: ones that are under 20$ make the house smell like melt rubber... but thanks for suggesting amazon it's probably the best choice

RotGtIE
Veteran

#15 Post by RotGtIE »

morg wrote:ones that are under 20$ make the house smell like melt rubber...
Smells like victory.