Summer Novel Festival Discussion Thread [Jul - Aug Gamejam]

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Summer Novel Festival Discussion Thread [Jul - Aug Gamejam]

#1 Post by Laniessa »

SuNoFes is a Summer Novel Festival for both developers and players alike to read visual novels and interactive fictions.

It focuses on new release than the development process although you're more than welcome to treat it as if it's a month jam.

If you have any unfinished work in mind, you're invited to use this festival for completing.

Remakes and adaptations are also welcomed.

You can also start working on a project before the festival begins. No one is required to start their work from scratch unless they want to.

There's no prize, voting, nor theme. It's entirely open-ended and however you like to schedule.

With the amount of time given, your project should be well-polished and free from bugs that will render the game unplayable.

If you're unable to create assets of your own, you're free to use the Creative Commons as resources.

You're allowed to work in teams or individually.

The festival ends on August 10th, though there is a week's extension in case you have a little work left to do.

- Takes place during July and August
- Adaptations, remakes and sequels are okay
- You can start working anytime you see fit
- Polished works are encouraged
- Creative Commons Resources are fine
- There are no "winners." Anyone who reaches their goal during the festival has completed SuNoFes, though it is encouraged to submit a game.

Have fun and enjoy the rest of the summer!

itch.io page up here! You can submit your games through this platform if you wish!

Feel free to ask questions or post development progress here! I will also check the #SuNoFes tag on twitter, so please tag it so if it's SuNoFes related!
Last edited by Laniessa on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

Re: Summer Novel Festival Discussion Thread

#2 Post by HiddenCreature »

So what happens when it's over? You said there were no prizes or votes. Do you host the submitted visual novels somewhere for others to see?

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#3 Post by Alte »

HiddenCreature wrote:So what happens when it's over? You said there were no prizes or votes. Do you host the submitted visual novels somewhere for others to see?
Similar to NaNoRenO 2015 on itch.io. It promotes exposure. Posting in the completed games of the forums is fine too. It's best to keep options open.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

#4 Post by HiddenCreature »

Sounds like it could be fun. My department has traditionally been writing. But now I'm starting to learn what makes the Ren'Py engine tick, and can actually make a game (couldn't say that two weeks ago, lol). I might give it a try.

noctos
Regular
Projects: Aeris
Tumblr: noctos

#5 Post by noctos »

It sounds like a really good idea. I've been wanting to jump into something like this to get my feet wet, but I'm swamped with work this summer ;^; I realize others probably are too, but it's my first job, so I can't afford to let my focus drop.

I hope a lot of people join, though! I imagine summer vacation is a perfect time to work on a project like this.
Tentatively working on my first project ☆

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#6 Post by YossarianIII »

As someone who attempted but quit a classics minor in college, I just want to say I'm pleased to see there's an option to read the rules in Latin but distressed to see how little Latin I remember...

Image Image

Facelord
Regular
Projects: Codebreaker, Tiresias, XoX
Organization: GoCoPro

#7 Post by Facelord »

Sounds like a good exercise. I'll think about it, maybe consider putting some time into a short VN. I'd wanna be able to pay artists who contribute to the work, though, and I don't quite have funds for that at the moment, so I may just wait until next year to do this.

I need all the experience I can get, I wish these events were timed better with my budget.

Elmvine
Regular
itch: elmvine

#8 Post by Elmvine »

Ahh, I want to give it a try.
I have a little idea I'd want to work on to familiarise myself with the writing side of things. ^^ Plus. Summer Vacation.

Blackrune

#9 Post by Blackrune »

I happen to have just the right project for this kind of thing. Let's hope I can get it done in time!

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#10 Post by sasquatchii »

YAY!! It's the end of Week 1, how's everybody feeling? I feel like this week went by so fast, but we've still got 7 weeks ahead of us :)

I've been making good progress on my game!

Feeling pretty confident that there's a good chance I might even be able to finish it!
ImageImage

Facelord
Regular
Projects: Codebreaker, Tiresias, XoX
Organization: GoCoPro

#11 Post by Facelord »

I actually began writing a really intriguing visual novel idea that popped into my head a couple days ago, I'm a few thousand words in. Unfortunately I can't afford to pay an artist to assist me, especially for a free product. I only need three backgrounds, one CG and zero character art outside of that CG, and I'd like two songs - one with three variations based on the primary emotion depicted in a given scene, and one for the final scene/credits.

Like I said, though, I have no money for an artist or musician, and to be honest I feel uncomfortable accepting the free labor tons of artists offer. I'm probably going to write it and code it without any assets(should be complete within a couple weeks, since I also have a retail job), and then release it after my big VN is completed in between 6-9 months(expected completion is 6 months, 9 months account for potential delays).

SeventhStranger
Regular

#12 Post by SeventhStranger »

I have an idea for a short game that I'm hoping to finish in time for this... I'm starting a little late as I just decided today to participate, but ever since college I've been a pro at pulling all-nighters ;)

poeticallyblind
Projects: The Witch's Curse

#13 Post by poeticallyblind »

Oh, this is perfect. I'm working on my first visual novel right now - though no coding has actually started just yet - and this will be a perfect thing to churn it out for. Awesome!

Ultra_HR
Regular
Completed: Surkea, Arcadia, Cerulean
Projects: Missing Stars
Organization: Somnova Studios
IRC Nick: Ultra_HR

#14 Post by Ultra_HR »

Hey, I've noticed the itch.io page for SuNoFes is down! Is that deliberate?
I'm the writing lead for Somnova Studios and the Annaliese route writer for Missing Stars. You can play Act 1 now. I also co-wrote Arcadia and did programming for Cerulean.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#15 Post by Alte »

Ultra_HR wrote:Hey, I've noticed the itch.io page for SuNoFes is down! Is that deliberate?
Yes, it's deliberate. I don't want anyone to associate with me for this game jam.

For alternatives:
Please see July Jam, A Game By It's Cover, or upcoming Yuri Game Jam.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.