How is your project going (or not going)?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Juno
Regular

Re: How is your project going (or not going)?

#16 Post by Juno »

Slowly, but surely.

I planned on taking the summer off to work full-time on this project but instead ended up taking a full-time+ job. I end up texting my partner a lot throughout the day with project developments.

We've been working on this project since December, but plot block put us at a stand-still for a while. Now plot block has been thoroughly defeated and I'm feeling pretty confident as we move forward, however slowly.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#17 Post by YonYonYon »

I outlined the story from the beginning to the end, finished GUI and drew most of the sprites. Also my friend agreed to work with me as a co-writer and I hope it'll make me actually finish the thing.
ImageImage

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#18 Post by noeinan »

I've got quite a few projects that I've done a lot of work on in terms of setting, plot, character design, programming, and completed art.

However, most of these I'm working on by myself, or with writers who are not too focused on side projects at the moment. And writing is kind of the most important part of a vn, so it's difficult when that's the only thing you're not so great at.

I'm thinking that I may need to get new ideas, and put them out there with completed art, then see which ones attract dedicated writers and which don't. The ideas that can't attract partners are probably going to go on the back burner in favor of the ideas that do attract partners. (And maybe I can pick the others up later, when I have some completed projects under my belt and can attract partners more easily.)

That's my current plan, at least!

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#19 Post by Donmai »

Well, my very first project was 'Slumberland' (and it still is), there is a demo of it buried somewhere on the Demos & Beta Testing section. Since I started working in 'Slumberland' I have finished several other projects you can see listed under my avatar, and also a little contribution to the now extinct 'The Worst VN/KN Ever' series: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 95#p273895
I'm always working in several projects at the same time. Haven't you ever lost interest in a project for some time? When that happens to me I just start another, then return to the first after some time, then start a third when inspiration reaches low level again. You will think I'm crazy, and probably that's what I really am but, as you can see, that had not prevented me from completing at least one project each year (Crap, I missed NaNoRenO this year). Currently I'm still working on 'Slumberland' (only the graphics for day two, already finished the soundtrack and I can only write draft text, as English is not my language). I'm also working on a sci-fi opus called 'The Maker', on an adult story about conspiracy theories entitled 'No Dice!' and a sentimental and nostalgic story named 'Green Martians and a Blue Lady' (no, don't be fooled by the title, in this case that's not a sci-fi story). Each project is very different from the other so I can always have something to keep interest on, for some time.
projects.jpg
What's closest to completion? For now I would say 'No Dice!' and 'Blue Lady' are easier to finish. The others are more complex narratives with branching.
What if I momentarily lose interest in all of those projects? Well, I will simply start another and work on it for some time :) .
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#20 Post by Hijiri »

It's going...pretty badly. We had a release date set in spring, but because of personal issues that have been affecting me, I had to delay. I feel pretty embarrassed.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#21 Post by somestrangecircus »

One project is stalled, the other is gradually being written. Sigh.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#22 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Getting there. The sprites are taking me ages because they have so many outfits. Next VN I get to, everyone will only have one outfit. Lessons learned! :lol:

Honest Critique

synedraacus
Regular
Github: synedraacus

#23 Post by synedraacus »

It's going... probably. Maybe more "crawling" than "going", but that's still some movement. Inventory system is working, screens look slightly less like manure and more like screens, script is getting written. We even got to balancing things and deciding how much of content should be seen in (any|every) single walkthrough.
Still, there is about a month of actual hard work before there is something to make WIP thread about.

annpan
Regular
Projects: Death Pledge -Wish of Blood-
Organization: Broken Wisteria or Qian.
Tumblr: waterlilyvn

#24 Post by annpan »

I'm dragging myself on the game on making my first game's storytelling immersing. The story is going to be a long one... Every character is going to count in this one. <-- Sucks, the cast keeps getting larger. Different paths and such, the female and male having a lot of split paths with different scenes link to them. Using the fact that if you played as male and female later on or vice verse in story connects the dots of each character's background story. Implementing six kingdoms to belong to that creates more path driven plots and a lot of writing. Three good and three evil battling, deceiving, caring and losing for each other. A battling system carefully planned out made of rock-paper-scissor which is annoying! I'm go through hell and back leaning on myself mostly!! Beta 1 will be out for July with maybe fully voiced characters!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#25 Post by Aviala »

Tbh, mine is not going too well, mainly because I'm suffering from a lack of motivation. I pushed myself too hard when I tried to get the 2nd demo finished for a convention, and when we couldn't finish it, it completely drained me of energy to work on Skyfish. I've been working on it so hard and for so long that there's no way I'm cancelling the project but apparently my intended "short break" will probably be a bit longer summer break. I just can't bring myself to work on it right now. I'm trying to get back to writing in a few days, but we'll see - I probably can't yet.

On the other hand, I'm taking part in some other projects to earn some extra so I can a) fund my project better and b) live. It's nice to work on some other stuff once in a while, and I might even get a proper job as an artist out of this if I'm lucky. That would mean less time for my own projects, but I can't think of anything better for me right now than landing a job in the industry.

octacon100
Regular
Projects: Regeria Hope
Organization: Golden Game Barn
IRC Nick: Octacon100

#26 Post by octacon100 »

It's not as fast as I was hoping. Moving house and having a newborn has slowed things down considerably. Hoping to get some writing done now the move is almost over and I can get internet access at home. Maybe during this weekend holiday some writing can really flow.
Current Digital Projects -
Regiera Hope Completed Game Forum Post

renoa-heartilly
Regular
Completed: مقهى الضائعون, Arabic Translations for Ren'py, Pretty Please
Projects: حور, BB project, dentist drama
Organization: stanza studio (creative circle)

#27 Post by renoa-heartilly »

hello!
good luck with your projects everyone!
as for me i've only made 1 finished game in the past which was super short just to test out the arabic functionality when it was super new.

so this summer i'm trying to finish a somewhat longer game (but still very short and basic) to help my friends understand the concept of a visual novel with choices ^^ hopefully more arabic speakers will be interested once they realize it's charm! (there's like 0 visual novels in arabic at the moment, and the only novels people might have heard of are the super duper popular japanese ones that got made into animes or console games)
my current game is about a (seemingly) normal lady who finds a job in an office, and slowly discovers that each one of her coworkers is a type of supernatural creature from local folklore :lol:
up until now i have the basic bones of the story with like 30% of the dialogue. my friend might help me out with the backgrounds and we can sketch out the character designs together once the script is drafted.
as for music, i might need to use some overused-but-beautiful free music tracks from the generous people in the creative commons section :D
i don't know what i'm gonna do with the GUI, i actually like the default Ren'py GUI and might keep it the same with only the text box changed to make it easier to read over the character sprites.
is a creative GUI really important in the evaluation of a game?

The Wombologists
Projects: First Test Game-simple story.
Tumblr: viataf
Deviantart: viataf

#28 Post by The Wombologists »

Ive just revived this account and am hellbent on beginning my first official vn....But i have to re-ingratiate myself with the renpy engine....Which ive been putting off. After planning out my steps and getting great advice from Extra Creditz (great youtube channel i suggest yall check em out~), ive decided to make a very simple game based off of a children's story i favored when i was a child. Its not very long and i dont have to write and proof read the story, its mostly a way for me to get familiar with the process of making a VN and so my first game wont be so.....crusty. *cringe* Anyhow it gives me some time to work on my actual story to keep it real but fun and to develop a healthy viable relationship between the characters (which is harder than it looks, on that note i thank springhole.com, they know what they are doing..)

But other than that ive been kicking my but into gear and trying to make progress slowly but surely, which isnt always easy.

Ill keep at it as best as i can though :)
ANGELS ARE METAL

godman85
Regular
Organization: Black Sands Entertainment

#29 Post by godman85 »

Lesleigh63 wrote:Visual novels can take a long time to make and I sometimes come to the forums just to get a bit of a boost knowing that others are working on their projects and encountering ups and downs like I am.

I'm writing at the moment (been doing so for the last five months). Really slow progress but it's growing day by day - 19000 words at the moment.

So, how's everyone else doing? I'd like to hear.
I am DOMINATING.

Atleast that is how I feel. Top 20 on slideDB and hovering up and down in the top 100 in indieDB every now and then. Jeez. IndieDB is so competitive though that its super hard to stay in the top 100 over long periods of time without a released game.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/black-sands-origins

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#30 Post by Caveat Lector »

So now that Blackbird is going to be a KN, I'm going through the script to give it one, last edit. Then I'll go over it with ColaCat to double check for any inconsistencies, and then, hopefully...the writing portion should be finished! Ooohhh, I've got the chills...
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete