Detours

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dade Finch

Detours

#1 Post by Dade Finch »

So, please feel free to move this around if I'm posting in the wrong part of the forum, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. Well, I've had an idea for a visual novel I've wanted to pursue for awhile, one taking place in the American mid-west with a surreal modern theme, and a plot mixing elements of Fargo, Hot Fuzz, Signs, Higurashi, Tsukihime, Silent Hill, and American Beauty, called Detours until a better title presents itself. Yep, it's convoluted. I'm not here to ask for plot specifics, as it were, as I've had the general plot and characters fleshed out for awhile, or scripting, as I'll be using RenPy, and I happen to have used Python before so I should be good. I'm asking if such a story'd be appreciated in a visual novel? I can give more specifics if people are interested, but, well... I don't know how the community's been since I was here last. I want to tell a very nontraditional sort of story for a VN, I've even been thinking of using weird effects on the art and all, and, well.. Uh, do you supposed it'd find a readership niche somewhere? Also, if somebodies already done it well, I don't want to remake the wheel or anything... But besides that, I'm really raring to go, finally having free time is empowering, heh. Thanks for your feedback!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Detours

#2 Post by DaFool »

Mmmmh... too little detail there. :?

If you make it, people will play it. Sometimes its the execution that matters, not necessarily the initial idea...

parvenue
Regular

#3 Post by parvenue »

Dade Finch wrote:Uh, do you supposed it'd find a readership niche somewhere? Also, if somebodies already done it well, I don't want to remake the wheel or anything... But besides that, I'm really raring to go, finally having free time is empowering, heh. Thanks for your feedback!
Yeah, I would think it would find a niche...if you would add more information about the visual novel itself, rather than all of its influences. The best way to gauge your audience is to write more about your VN so you can check out more responses. As it stands, people are probably gonna skim and click away without replying. :?

Surreal modern plot sounds good - just needs more details.
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<

Need a PREMIUM Rapidshare host? PM me - I'll host your files free of charge.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

It does sound interesting, as I am a fan of some of the influences you mentioned. I am curious to see more about it, especially any artwork. I tend to be rather visual, so that means a lot to me. Also, we're always pretty open to different ways of storytelling using this medium, so you'll definitely get people to play.