Where should the plot go in a stat raiser?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ark99k
Regular

#1 Post by ark99k »

Should the stat raising trigger an event or should that only happen during free time? I'm terrible at explaining, so I'll give two examples!

Example 1: You decided to go to cooking class. +3 Cooking Skill. You get a cute scene with Anthony who just happens to be in your cooking class.
Example 2: It's the weekend! You go back to school because you think you left your homework there on Friday. Maya is also trying to get into the school. Your lock picking skill is high enough to open the door. Maya is impressed and and you are awarded with a scene with her.

Which is better? Does one feel less repetitive than the other? Are there other ways to present the plot in this sort of game? Should I do a combination of both? Should you get a choice of where to go in example 2?

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

Re: Where should the plot go in a stat raiser?

#2 Post by Kailoto »

For me, I think I'd prefer whichever option makes sense for the context. Both can work; the first is an example of a direct achievement of sorts, while the other is latent. In simpler terms, if the scenario calls for the event to happen right after an increase in stats, then do so. If not, save it for when it makes sense. It's not really a matter of one being better than the other; each structure has a specific use.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.

morg
Regular
Projects: Cupid's Affair
Tumblr: n-morg

#3 Post by morg »

I played an otome game that used these points to determime wether or not the player got a CG. For example, you had to have more than 60 affinity points to earn the ending/CG. The player could accumulate these points by picking the correct menu choices.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#4 Post by qirien »

Personally, I hate it when there is no plot at all while you are raising points. So I prefer to have different plot threads sprinkled throughout different choices. That makes it more fun to go back and raise different stats and see different scenes. However, since the player may or may not have seen them, they generally should be some sort of side plot.

To use your example, perhaps as your cooking improves you and Anthony develop a rivalry, culminating in a final event where you have to decide what to make for a potluck and a mutual friend will judge whose is better.

This does, however, require a dedication to consistency. In the main plot (which may happen after school or on weekends), you may need to check things like:

Code: Select all

anthony "Hi, [player_name]."
if (cooking >= 5):
    pc "Anthony! Your pathetic attempts at cooking are no match for my haute cuisine!"
    anthony "I guess we'll find out at the potluck, won't we?"
    pc "Hmph. What did you want, anyway?"
else:
    pc "Hey, Anthony, what's up?"
Finished games: