A question about resolution

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
jaybee

A question about resolution

#1 Post by jaybee »

I'm relatively new to the engine and Ren'py games in general, but something I don't see brought up too much is screen resolution. Every game I've played (admittedly not a lot) is locked at a specific resolution with no option to change.

I'm planning a game around a native 1920x1080 with an option to scale down. Will this cause unforeseen technical issues or is the overall low resolution of the renpy games I've seen just an artist's choice?

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

Re: A question about resolution

#2 Post by Tempus »

It's just the developer's choice. 1920x1080 is fine. I doubt downscaling would be a performance issue except maybe if you've got a lot of animation too. Worst case scenario you could just make pre-downscaled copies of the visual assets and switch them out rather than downscaling on the fly.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Tempus wrote:It's just the developer's choice. 1920x1080 is fine. I doubt downscaling would be a performance issue except maybe if you've got a lot of animation too. Worst case scenario you could just make pre-downscaled copies of the visual assets and switch them out rather than downscaling on the fly.
Resolution has actually been discussed a lot on the board! I'm personally very appreciative of anyone doing at least 1080p widescreen.

I think Tempus' suggestion of pre-downscaled copies of the visual assets and switching them out is the most elegant way to control things in a 2D game. I create all my assets in 4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160), just to future-proof things. It wasn't a big switch in my asset creation pipeline, as I'm always considering possible printing needs too.

I probably wouldn't ship a 4K 2D game right now, but I'd be able to easily put out a 4K patch in the future for those that wanted. It's about options.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

I have made a 1080p game and have not received any reports of technical issues related to resolution. So you should be good to go if you make one like that.

jaybee

#5 Post by jaybee »

That's good to hear. I'm hand drawing all my assets and scanning at print quality 300dpi. I've got all the physical measurements perfectly planned out that I can determine what each individual asset on paper would look like on screen. But it's reassuring that some people are planning for ultra HD because my art assets already match up.

Target resolution 1920 x 1080 = 6.4 x 3.6 @ 300dpi (drawing at twice size so 12.8 x 7.2 on paper)
3840 x 2160 Ultra HD format = 12.8 x 7.2 @ 300dpi (perfect ratio)