Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1496
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 pm
- Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition
- Projects: Aeternam Conquest: Judgment, Death Rule: Killing System
- Organization: MESI Games
- IRC Nick: Hizi
- Tumblr: mesigames
- Skype: kurotezuka
- itch: hijiri
- Location: Los Angeles
I've done a minor bit of promotion, and have been trying to get it reviewed as much as possible, but the biggest attractor thus far is word-of-mouth. I often get referrals from forums that linked to the game after someone on the board read it.
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 501
- Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:40 am
- Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Our War Everlasting, Love Bug
- Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
- Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
- itch: aviala
- Location: Finland
It's been out for 2 months, and it was made in 5 days and submitted into the Gay Marriage jam, though that didn't really increase the amount of views much since the jam only had 3 submissions in the end and wasn't well known at all.
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:06 am
- Tumblr: blinkingkills
- Location: nyc
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 30&t=30385 this one basically
I don't have the counts for the dropbox downloads, i'm not even sure if there is a way to find that out, but i did put a mediafire link on tumblr after i remembered i had a mediafire account.
for mediafire at least, my number is 618. Its been out for 8 months
its also been reblogged 800 times on tumblr, some which feature the post that only has the dropbox link. I don't really keep track of my numbers because as i said, i made it in less than a week and all it is a lot of porn.
- Posts: 370
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:26 pm
- Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
- Projects: Brooklyn Idol
- Organization: KONOL Games
FWIW, this is what you get when you draw stick figures, give your stuff away (no pwyw option), and don't advertise/use social media:
Plus another 173 downloads from Mediafire.
I'd like to say I'm following the Fugazi business model... but I think I'm actually just too lazy to keep an active Twitter account.
Also, I was surprised by the breakdown of Linux/Mac/Windows. Linux consistently has more downloads than Mac--I didn't realize Linux was so popular for VNs (or maybe that Mac is so unpopular for VNs?).
- Posts: 451
- Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:06 pm
- Organization: Metasepia Games
- Deviantart: qirien
- Github: qirien
- itch: qirien
- Location: New Mexico, USA
For Our Personal Space, released for free February 14, 2015, we have the following download stats:
Google Play: 42,695 (11% that visit the page install the app)
Android (not on Google Play): 1,479
Downloads for any platform from indiedb: 97
Downloads for any platform from itch.io: 1,070
The game didn't really take off on Google Play for about 8 months, when I think enough people had downloaded and rated it that it was bumped up in the search results or something. I also chatted with some representatives from Google Play at Indiecade; not sure if that had any effect or not!
We got a fair amount of visitors from Rock, Paper, Shotgun and JayIsGames, and many more from the lemmasoft forums.
Given its success on the mobile platform, I will definitely be looking at releasing for iOS next time.
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 572
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm
- Completed: The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
- Projects: The Butler Detective
- Tumblr: katy-133
- Deviantart: Katy133
- itch: katy133
- Location: Canada
- Posts: 218
- Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:48 pm
- Completed: When the Seacats Cry
- Projects: Detective Butler
- Organization: Goldbar Games
- Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
- Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
- Github: GoldbarGames
- Skype: Kinjo Goldbar
- itch: goldbargames
- Location: /seacats/
Because of technical errors we kinda lost the hard numbers for anything before itch.io but I know it reached at least 2,000 downloads (and no profits were made from any of those).
- earnings.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1762
- Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 am
- Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question
- Projects: Slumberland
- Location: Brazil
I've only released it here in LSF. Someone added a link to it in the Visual Novel Database.
TNH received some very positive reviews which I found very amazing, as it was my very first VN effort.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 737
- Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:17 am
- Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
- Projects: Fate's Cafe
- Tumblr: otometwist
- Skype: @otomeran
- itch: ran
- Location: Manila
Here's the stats for Munster Academy, which was released two years ago on itch, for the Monster Mash game jam. And here's for Summer Paradise, which was released three years ago, but only uploaded on itch "280 days ago." I did keep the original stats though. I'm honestly very surprised it reached those numbers, considering it's obviously an amateur work. =) But I guess it was beginner's luck, or maybe I was just lucky to release it in a time when short otome VNs were all the rage. Perhaps it was a little bit of both. Either way, I'm really thankful.
Awww, I loved Toire No Hanako! <3 It definitely deserved all those positive reviews. :")Donmai wrote: TNH received some very positive reviews which I found very amazing, as it was my very first VN effort.
♡ Once Upon A Hallow's Eve is a GxB Halloween otome.
♡ The Thing With Mistletoes is a GxB Christmas otome.
♡ Random VN reviews? Click me! You know you want to~
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:11 am
- Projects: FLY : Forever Loving You
- Deviantart: AjebFLY
- itch: ajeb
- Location: France
When you put your game on the Play Store it's more easily downloaded but when your game is 100% free, you don't get anything, so no earnings ;w; but love and support are priceless
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:48 pm
- Completed: The Festival, a YGO fangame
- Projects: Charming Monsters (WIP)
- Organization: DrawOrDrop Studio
- Tumblr: thooruchan
- Deviantart: thooruchan
- Skype: thooru-chan
- Location: Spain
There are no earnings for now, but I may set up tips once the next demo is out.
And my top 6 referrals:
The lesson learned is that jams are stressing but great boons to get views on a project.
Charming Monsters, the webcomic Visual Novel BL game.
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:26 pm
- Completed: Winter Dreams, Trick & Treat
- Projects: Behind the Void Mask - RED
- Organization: Eternal Night
- Deviantart: Eidolon-Stigma
the first game in the list was released in july 02, the second in may 31, the third one in august 26, and the last one august 10, they are not listed chronology
guys how do you promote your games? do you always do the same or try new ways every time?
In terms of exposure, I posted about AITD here on the lemmasoft forums (my strongest referral). I've also been pushing the game on twitter, and I've been trying to push the Greenlight campaign as well. So far, no let's play video of my game, and to my knowledge, no reviews/articles, aside from ones I've written myself.
One thing that I think adds to your games "download-ability" (yup, that's a word now) is if your game is tagged in a game jam. Game Jam games are highly likely to be linked to one another as recommended games etc.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users