Which style do you prefer?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Fenrir34
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Escaping Sorrow
Projects: Crisis Beat,Lynarsia-The Broken Song

Which style do you prefer?

#1 Post by Fenrir34 »

So I'm in a bit of a bind with my artist and her art. She has two really good styles and they both attract me, but I can't decide which I should pick =(.

The game I'm making is a mystery, GxG, drama story with elements of slice of life and comedy. It might be slight horror, but the story focuses more around the pasts of the girls and the main character. When I talked with echs she said the cute style could work since people like moe and I agree. However the more adult style seems to fit to, but I just don't know. So I'm posting because I want to know what you guys think. Please note this is for the Yuri jam. Anyway, let me know what style you think would fit better and why you like it. I'm hoping this post will help with my decision because I can't decide....

Merida- A quite and mysterious girl who always has her head in a book. The only thing or rather the only person who catches her attention is the main character but it's not fully understood why. Personality wise Merida is distant and a bit cold with people. She always has a bored look and seems to want to keep to herself all the time. When she writes though her words our what bring her to life. Sadly very few know of her hidden talent.

Example 1

Example 2

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Which style do you prefer?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I prefer Example 1, because I don't like the Moe style.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#3 Post by Anne »

Example 1 (not sure why but I don't like the second one at all)

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#4 Post by Kinjo »

I like the adult style more. It seems more fitting for the theme and stands out compared to all the other generic moe sprites.

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#5 Post by Fox Lee »

Complicated...

Looking at these examples, I would assume the artist likes drawing the cute style more - it seems to be more confidently-executed, if that makes sense. There are a number of small things, like the positioning of the hands, the shape of the blazer, and the angles of the facial features, that make me think she's more comfortable with that style. If that's true, I would say definitely go with it; you'll get a better result by going with what the artist prefers, and for a jam - unless one deliberately wants to take advantage of it to push one's comfort zones - it's more important to stay motivated and finish a project, than to get a perfect product.

If I'm off the mark with my assumption, let's see... I expect most people will find the first style to be more suitable. That said, I prefer the cute style, and I don't think it looks an awful lot like "standard" moe - the proportions are different to what I'd expect, giving it a slight unnatural appearance which I find rather pleasing for this theme. It reminds me more of western anime-inspired cartoon gothic, than "moeblob". I think it would be quite striking, especially if combined with an unusual shading style.

Either way, good luck on Yuri Jam! :D
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#6 Post by Katta »

I also dislike moe style, but this cute style is ... cute? It somehow shows more personality.

Zylinder
Veteran

#7 Post by Zylinder »

I think example 1's face expresses her personality better, though the gesture of example 2 looks more natural.

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

#8 Post by DarkSin »

Out of the two, the first appeals to me more (I don't like overly moe-ified or "deformed" characters). That being said, the first one is too far on the realistic side. Personally I would prefer something in-between, but since that's not one of the options... Yeah, the first one.

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#9 Post by KuroOneHalf »

I think it should come down to two major questions:
- Which style do you find fits the version of the story you want to tell the best?
- Which style does the artist enjoy doing more?

I don't advise catering to what others want over what you want.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#10 Post by trooper6 »

Kuroonehalf wrote:I think it should come down to two major questions:
- Which style do you find fits the version of the story you want to tell the best?
- Which style does the artist enjoy doing more?

I don't advise catering to what others want over what you want.
Generally speaking, I agree with Kuroonehalf. I always think you should do what *you* like best. It is best not to create art by committee.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Bartulisica
Regular
Organization: ArizonaIdentities
Discord: ArizonaIdentities

#11 Post by Bartulisica »

Style 1, as someone already said, expresses her personality better.
But I think style 2 is executed better, so I believe, your artist feels more confident in second style.
I'd say go with style 2, if you can't pick one you like better.
- ArizonaIdentities

Ozitiho
Regular

#12 Post by Ozitiho »

Seconding again what kuroonehalf said. I'm a sucker for moe, I won't lie. But the reality is they're both fine. Kudos to your artist. Even though most people seem to vastly prefer the first version, you still shouldn't leave it up to majority vote. Although it all works out because it sounded like you yourself preferred the first one anyway.