Horror VN gameplay ideas

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
morg
Regular
Projects: Cupid's Affair
Tumblr: n-morg

Horror VN gameplay ideas

#1 Post by morg »

Hi! I'm thinking of making a horror visual novel soon, and I've got a nice story prepared, but I think the story requires the player to just sit and listen? Of course I don't want that, I'm currently trying to figure out what gameplay features I could add that would keep the player interested yet also go nicely with the storyline. 'Finding the hidden items' wouldn't really fit with the story in my opinion, and neither would walking around/exploring . Without spoiling too much, here's the general plot ;
A 21year old girl is sure someone else is in her house. Despite her having no friends or family. More and more evidence appears supporting her wacky idea, and it slowly drives her nuts . A key item to the story plot is that
she suffers from a mental illness causing her to have severe hallucinations, yet that isn't revealed to the player. Also note that the story is told through her perspective so naturally we won't have a protagonist with orderly thoughts that make sense
the suspension and mystery are the main horror factors in (it won't be someone attacks you /battle type of horror)

I'm not planning on making it a moving around explore the place type of game, I'm not really sure how I feel about that yet it may work? Of course I don't have any 3D graphics or any of that. I'm not really supporting the idea of the protagonist dying at some point, I don't think that will add story factor at all but rather just cutting it off pointlessly and to add that nobody likes having to restart the game because they died.

What I mean is, what gameplay features so you guys think I should add that will attract the player yet not be the type of features that give the player the ability to change the story path because there is only one path.
I'm really flexible about the gameplay since I haven't even started ,so if you think adding more routes or MC death would be a cool thing then mention that.
Ideas are also welcomed and thanks in advance

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Horror VN gameplay ideas

#2 Post by trooper6 »

You don't have to have gameplay elements. There are lots of Kinetic Novels that don't have any gameplay elements at all. If gameplay elements are not organic to the story you want to tell, don't force them in.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Ozitiho
Regular

#3 Post by Ozitiho »

I understand why you would think a horror game needs gameplay in order to immerse the player. I'm far from an authority on the horror genre, but I don't think that is the case. I'm sure you can write and script your game in a way to make the player feel the tense atmosphere you want. And by god you won't even need jumpscares to do it. Leaving that aside though, you pose a real challenge. A gameplay that adds to the story but with no ability to affect it. Honestly I'm inclined to suggest you just make a kinetic novel if you want to present a story, but I'm sure there are games that can add to the story somehow.

You could make a play on her hallucinations and mental state. Play some sort of game to help her focus her mind when things get strange. There was this indy game called "Irisu Syndrome" that did something similar. It had quite a cult following, if I remember right. Or you can do some sort of logic puzzle to help her put the pieces of the mystery together, if you're into that sort of thing. But in my opinion, any sort of gameplay would probably take away from the suspense. I'm sure people don't mind to "sit and listen" if it's good. I mean, you are asking in a visual novel forum.

KuroOneHalf
Regular
Completed: Cuttlebone
Projects: Somewhere In The Shade
Deviantart: KuroOneHalf
itch: kuroonehalf

#4 Post by KuroOneHalf »

morg wrote:but I think the story requires the player to just sit and listen? Of course I don't want that
What's wrong with sitting and listening? The best horror books and movies require little more than keeping your eyes open (some movies are even terrifying with eyes closed!) Visual novels really aren't very different.

And in general visual novels aren't a very interactive medium. The single most common form of interaction presents itself in the form of branching choices, that can be trivial or actually make the story branch into different versions of itself. If you intend to tell a kinetic story, unless you want to pull a The Walking Dead where they play with the illusion of choice, then branching choices are mostly out the window. That leaves trivial choices, or choices that don't make the narrative branch into unique timelines. It's really up to you whether you think those add anything to the experience you want the players to have.

Either way, I think it might be too early to be thinking about this. You should get started on writing the script itself first, getting an art style down, then worry about this sort of stuff later.

Kailoto
Veteran
Completed: No VNs, but a few novels. :D
Projects: Artificial, Seven Deaths (inactive)

#5 Post by Kailoto »

Kuroonehalf wrote:
morg wrote:but I think the story requires the player to just sit and listen? Of course I don't want that
What's wrong with sitting and listening? The best horror books and movies require little more than keeping your eyes open (some movies are even terrifying with eyes closed!) Visual novels really aren't very different.
I will second that, and add that interactivity in a horror/thriller game is less important than tension. You'll find that in the best horror games, a lot of the time nothing happens - you're just walking around, or looking for artifacts, or examining objects. What the developers are doing is increasing tension, so that when you do encounter some eldritch being, the suspense is shattered and your adrenaline kicks in, heightening your perceived fear.

So... can you create tension through just sound and words? Of course! Atmospherics play a big part in creating that tension, and that includes sound effects, background music, and the style of writing. Add in art direction for your visuals and you have more than enough to create an excellent horror story, sans any gameplay.
Things I've Written:
Sakura (Novel, Self Published, 80,000+ words)
City and Girl (Novel, First Draft, 70,000+ words)
Loka (Novel, Third Draft, 120,000+ words)

A layabout writer and programmer with lots of problems and even more ideas. Hyped for Persona 5.