Getting Discouraged... :/

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
taupah

Getting Discouraged... :/

#1 Post by taupah »

(I'm not sure where this should go, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot)

When I was about 15, I was really into Ren'Py programming. I spent hours upon hours of programming. I'm 19 now and tried to get back into it, but for some reason I can't remember much of the program language at all, and what I do remember-- and disctinctly at that-- seems to no longer be correct. I have a lot of issues with my memory so I feel very hopeless and sad, like I'll never be able to program again unless I'm using something like TyranoBuilder... :(

It just feels like even basic things have changed, like putting up a sprite or bg image. I don't know if things have actually changed in these four years or if my memory is still declining.

I dunno. Anyone feel similar or have any advice?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Getting Discouraged... :/

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I suppose my only advice would be to make a really simple game with free resources that doesn't do much of anything besides:

Has some sprites that enter and exit.
Has some text.
Has some menus and branching.
Play some music.

Just some really basic stuff so you can a) get used to Renpy again and b) get some confidence.

It is all just practice.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

taupah wrote:(I'm not sure where this should go, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong spot)
Yes, this should go here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=8 but don't you worry, that's not a big problem.
taupah wrote:It just feels like even basic things have changed, like putting up a sprite or bg image. I don't know if things have actually changed in these four years or if my memory is still declining.
Ah, are you having problems showing your images? Yes, some things have changed for the better, and somehow that's the origin of some temporary confusion. Read here for the explanation, and for a solution: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =8&t=33785
Tyranobuilder? Argh! :)
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Aratzne
Deviantart: Aratzne

#4 Post by Aratzne »

Hey, taupah!

I just started programming in Ren'py in the past year, so I can't say much as to whether it's changed.  I have been through a similar experience though, switching between two similar programming languages and feeling frustrated with being back at square one.

My advice is: don't give up on it!  Sometimes you might have to approach it like you're learning an entirely new language, but that's okay.  Think of it as a new chance to experience all those feelings of accomplishment when you figure out a tricky piece of code.  If you work at it, you'll be able to master everything again!

There are some really helpful tutorials and cookbook pieces on these forums, they can definitely help you to get started again.  I will second trooper6 and say you should start off with a simple game you're not too invested in.  Then you can keep adding features as you go along and get more comfortable.  Once you've got this framework, it'll be easy to copy the elements over to your main game.

Final piece of advice: use comments!  Comments can be invaluable, especially if you have memory troubles.  Explain to yourself what certain lines or blocks of code do, then you can easily refresh yourself or search for certain pieces when you need them.  That's what I do, anyway.  You could also try making a cheat sheet for yourself so you can refer back to it.

Good luck!
Current Project: Supernaturalis: No More Fear (thread pending)

Ozitiho
Regular

#5 Post by Ozitiho »

Yeah, things have changes. Tom is still working tirelessly to improve Ren'Py. Personally I've only known the language for about two years so I'm hardly an authority on updates. But I'm sure any changes that have been made only improve readability of the code.

This unlearning is a thing programmers are faced with all the time. Luckily, learning a new language isn't that much of a task when you already know the basics of programming. And now it's even easier thanks to the tutorials that come with the Ren'Py client. If you read the code of "The Question" you can see how to use all the basics. The tutorial will teach you all the advanced stuff in a very comprehensible way. If you give these a good study I'm sure you can figure out the basics in no time.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#6 Post by netravelr »

The thing about learning to code, is after you've done it once it's a lot easier to get back into the whole thing. Something that programmers may need to do is jump into a new programming language for some job, or perhaps you were working in one language for one job, and then another for another. I know it may seem like a lot now, but like the others mentioned, take it in one step at a time and you'll get the hang of it in no time. Good luck!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#7 Post by curry nochi rice »

I started with Ren'Py when I was 16. Played with it little by little but it was mostly just UI and stuff. The real battle was when I was 20 and I sort of literally picked it back up from the grave. Screen Language was a new thing back then and that threw me off guard. It took me a while but I was able to work with it.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

franny

#8 Post by franny »

My first encounter with Ren'Py was when I was 13 or 14, but not having coding skills, I gave up before getting very far. Now, at 18, I want to learn it seriously. We're in the same boat, I guess. There really is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not that bad with the help of Google. :D

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#9 Post by SundownKid »

Renpy script is quite simple (maybe not screen language but the text part of it), the best way to understand it is to look through the source code of games and see how they programmed it.

Kate
Regular
Projects: Blackout
Organization: Moonlight Otome

#10 Post by Kate »

I've been here only since Screen language was implemented, but I'm taking Java classes to help me learn how to think like a programmer. It's interesting going back and forth between the two languages (while I personally think it's so narrow to only focus on the math of a program like my Java teacher does, instead of implementing a bit of HTML or making windows pop up and such!) And I've already learned a few things that I'll try within my game.

My advice? Do what the others have said- start with the basics, try one new thing at a time and don't be afraid to post the code you're stuck on if you need help! The wonderful sensei-s of coding are kind and patient and are very helpful :)
Current Project:
Blackout [VN][Romance][GxB][Mystery][Suspense] http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=34118
"It is the duty of authors to make the fantastic seem ordinary and the ordinary seem fantastic." - K. Auer

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#11 Post by sendo »

Have you tried playing through the tutorial game? It covers the basics of renpy coding and should get you up to date with the some of the latest stuff.

As for learning programming, try to practice with a goal in mind. Make a short game with 2 choices that split to 2 endings. After that, perhaps add a 'love/affection/etc' variable that increases or decreases depending on the choice of the player and that same variable determines the ending. These don't need to have a story or anything - the goal is to get used to coding. Like others have already said, start with something basic and build up from there.

It's also good to read code of other renpy games. But the best way to get better is to code yourself. Once you do it enough, writing renpy code will become second nature (the basic stuff at least). That said, I highly recommend creating new projects for each practice session and using comments to explain the code. It's good to have something to look back to when you get stuck. Adding comments may seem laborious at first, but this will help you understand and even re-learn code you wrote later down the road. Good luck!
Finished VNs:
Image Image

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#12 Post by qirien »

Yes, looking at code of Ren'Py games can be very helpful!

Here is a list of open-license Ren'Py games, though there are others that are not posted.

I know looking at the code of Night at the Hospital (fairly simple code), Win The Game (more complicated map code), and The Madness (screen code, animations) helped me a lot!
Finished games: