Changing your visual novel's title/name after it's announced

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PrismProjections
Projects: CE-5
Soundcloud: Prismproject

Changing your visual novel's title/name after it's announced

#1 Post by PrismProjections »

New developer here! I jumped into the deep end of making a visual novel just last month and somehow managed to finish my first 'demo' game within 30 days for a game jam.

Now, as I'm expanding on the work I did, I find that I don't like my game name. It's, ironically, alienating. (My game is about said aliens.)

Currently, the game's name is "CE-5," which is short speak for Close Encounters of the 5th Kind. I don't imagine people outside of a very niche audience would know this term and I'm worried it might intimidate players looking at the game.

Lately, I've been feeling a stronger pull towards calling the game "City Lights." It pins down the location and hints at the main issue. It's just a better fit. However, I've already made development blogs for "CE-5" during the Game Jam period and I worry that changing the name of it now would be seen as fickle and ill-planned on my part.

My question is this: Has anyone changed their project's name early in development and found it causing problems further down the road? Any tips or advice from those that have gone through this?

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Changing your visual novel's title/name after it's annou

#2 Post by SundownKid »

You could just write "so and so, formerly known as so and so" for the first news bits so people have a chance to realize it.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#3 Post by Ghost #9 »

It is not at all uncommon for a game to having a "working title" that is ultimately changed by the time of its full release, even within major studios. If you feel that another title would better suit your project, I'd say go ahead and change it.

For a bit of fun, here's an entire list of various works (comics, movies, games, etc.) that began production under a different name: Click Me!
It's a TV Tropes link. Don't get lost. : P

PrismProjections

#4 Post by PrismProjections »

SundownKid wrote:You could just write "so and so, formerly known as so and so" for the first news bits so people have a chance to realize it.
Thank you, that's a fantastic idea. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

PrismProjections

#5 Post by PrismProjections »

Ghost #9 wrote:It is not at all uncommon for a game to having a "working title" that is ultimately changed by the time of its full release, even within major studios. If you feel that another title would better suit your project, I'd say go ahead and change it.

For a bit of fun, here's an entire list of various works (comics, movies, games, etc.) that began production under a different name: Click Me!
It's a TV Tropes link. Don't get lost. : P
You've got a great point and I had a lot of fun reading (getting lost) in the page for a while. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Jae
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Academy Life

#6 Post by Jae »

Square Enix changed "Final Fantasy Versus XIII" to "Final Fantasy XV" after five years of development, so I think you're okay on your end.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#7 Post by Laiska »

Jae wrote:Square Enix changed "Final Fantasy Versus XIII" to "Final Fantasy XV" after five years of development, so I think you're okay on your end.
It was actually seven... But I think that just proves the point more xD

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#8 Post by sake-bento »

Edge of Tomorrow aired in theaters under one title, then changed its name to Live Die Repeat for the home video release. In an attempt to stave off some of the confusion, the movie is officially "Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow" where the original title is now the subtitle. Your game could be City Lights: Close Encounters of the 5th Kind so anyone following you would still see the original title and know what it's referring to.