Personality Types and the VN Creator

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

Re: Personality Types and the VN Creator

#16 Post by Counter Arts »

Yeah... I'm an INFP. Used to dive deep into the stuff too.

Then I heard about the Five-Factor model and there seems to be some science behind that. (Like correlation of ratio of brain lobes or something)

Here is a test. Interestingly related since they study gamer profiles which might be interesting in market research.
https://apps.quanticfoundry.com/lab/

My Personality profile
chart.png
My Gamer Profile
chart.jpeg
chart.jpeg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#17 Post by SundownKid »

Here's my "profile chart".. hehe.
chart.png
I'm rarely a completionist.. only for stuff I really enjoy.

EDIT: And my personality profile:
chart(1).png

Kkoro
Regular
Projects: False Elegy, Incompatible Species
Deviantart: 6kkoro

#18 Post by Kkoro »

Well I think you guys can figure this out.

The only thing that bothers me is that I scored high on design(85%), but low on immersion(18%). I love character designing and I love to roleplay as my designed character
Attachments
chart (1).jpeg
chart.jpeg
chart.jpeg (10.18 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
Character Designer and Illustrator
Follow me on social media!

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Counter Arts »

Wow... remarkably similar.

Kkoro
Regular

#20 Post by Kkoro »

Counter Arts wrote:Wow... remarkably similar.
Now that you mention it, they are really similar indeed.

Gaming profiles seem to have a low correlation with personalities. Maybe because games allow you to have a different persona.
Can I ask what kind of games you usually play?

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Counter Arts »

Kkoro wrote:
Counter Arts wrote:Wow... remarkably similar.
Now that you mention it, they are really similar indeed.

Gaming profiles seem to have a low correlation with personalities. Maybe because games allow you to have a different persona.
Can I ask what kind of games you usually play?
Final Fantasy XIV, Other Final Fantasy Games, Freedom Planet, Shovel Knight, Call of Duty, Business-Sim games, Visual Novel stuff, Call of Duty.

I think the details are lost of the gamer profiles because each part appears to be split between two factors. Like mastery is split between challenge and strategy.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#22 Post by Ran08 »

In all the personality tests I've taken, I've almost always gotten an INFJ, which people think is dubious because they say I'm one of the most talkative people they know. =) However, I am a secret introvert (what? hahaha) in a sense that I'd rather have quiet times with friends than go to a party, and I'd rather stay at home and read a book than go outside just for the sake of going outside. I'm also rather shy in person (with terrible stage fright, too!), so that's that, I suppose. Hahaha. No complaints about the NFJ part, though.

Oh, and I took the personality/gamer type tests! Thank you for the link. It was quite fun! :")
gaming-style.png
personality-5.png
I noticed that most of us kinda have the similar results, haha, don't you think? So cool~

P.S. Counter Arts, I couldn't help but notice your very well-rounded gamer profile there. =) Hahaha.

RotGtIE
Veteran

#23 Post by RotGtIE »

I took one of these kinds of tests and came to the conclusion that I am a SKEPTIC. Introspection to a point can be a healthy way to pinpoint personal flaws so that they can be consciously addressed and corrected, but beyond that, excessive self-examination breeds narcissism. Never mind that a battery of similarly-worded questions with answers ranging from "Strongly Disagree" to "Strongly Agree" can only work to discern so much about a person's character, especially if the questions are phrased carelessly (as inevitably happens when you try to find ten different ways to ask the same question that will determine how "outgoing" someone is so you can slap a percentage on it). I wouldn't make a serious judgment of someone's character on the basis of one of these tests.

The personality assessments from these tests, in my opinion, are barely a step up from horoscopes, and are worded very similarly. Take note of the vague language that is broad enough to apply to large numbers of people, especially when such statements only have to be true some of the time - a mood that is perfectly normal and experienced by nearly everyone can suddenly become your "personality," as determined by the less-than-thorough internet-based examination which took you and a script about fifteen minutes to complete. Not the most thorough or well-thought-out source, and from it, no particularly useful determinations. Just another thing that, like other wide-spectrum ego-boosters, makes you feel like you're being individually evaluated and given a degree of personal attention that you really aren't.

I suppose it's one way to relieve boredom, but I wouldn't recommend taking it too seriously. Otherwise, you're liable to be led to believe that you also have an IQ of 115+, just like everyone else who took the same kind of internet IQ test. I guess humanity just happens to be breeding a generation of geniuses. Lucky us.

Kkoro
Regular

#24 Post by Kkoro »

Ran08 wrote:In all the personality tests I've taken, I've almost always gotten an INFJ, which people think is dubious because they say I'm one of the most talkative people they know. =) However, I am a secret introvert (what? hahaha) in a sense that I'd rather have quiet times with friends than go to a party, and I'd rather stay at home and read a book than go outside just for the sake of going outside. I'm also rather shy in person (with terrible stage fright, too!), so that's that, I suppose. Hahaha. No complaints about the NFJ part, though.
I'm mostly introverted around people as I rather listen and observe than talk. With my friends I'm one of the most talkative persons though. So I do have the social skills to have a good time, but I keep my deepest thoughts and feelings to myself. I rarely talk about them with friends or family. I'm also similar in that I have terrible frage fright, even though I've played competetive piano for 10+ years. I think it has to do with the fact that I don't like to dissapoint people with bad play.

Kkoro
Regular

#25 Post by Kkoro »

RotGtIE wrote:I took one of these kinds of tests and came to the conclusion that I am a SKEPTIC. Introspection to a point can be a healthy way to pinpoint personal flaws so that they can be consciously addressed and corrected, but beyond that, excessive self-examination breeds narcissism. Never mind that a battery of similarly-worded questions with answers ranging from "Strongly Disagree" to "Strongly Agree" can only work to discern so much about a person's character, especially if the questions are phrased carelessly (as inevitably happens when you try to find ten different ways to ask the same question that will determine how "outgoing" someone is so you can slap a percentage on it). I wouldn't make a serious judgment of someone's character on the basis of one of these tests.

The personality assessments from these tests, in my opinion, are barely a step up from horoscopes, and are worded very similarly. Take note of the vague language that is broad enough to apply to large numbers of people, especially when such statements only have to be true some of the time - a mood that is perfectly normal and experienced by nearly everyone can suddenly become your "personality," as determined by the less-than-thorough internet-based examination which took you and a script about fifteen minutes to complete. Not the most thorough or well-thought-out source, and from it, no particularly useful determinations. Just another thing that, like other wide-spectrum ego-boosters, makes you feel like you're being individually evaluated and given a degree of personal attention that you really aren't.

I suppose it's one way to relieve boredom, but I wouldn't recommend taking it too seriously. Otherwise, you're liable to be led to believe that you also have an IQ of 115+, just like everyone else who took the same kind of internet IQ test. I guess humanity just happens to be breeding a generation of geniuses. Lucky us.
I think it's good to take these tests with a grain of salt. But just for your information, this 16personalities test was a recommended personality test in my psychology study at the university of Amsterdam for whenever you need to use one.
As for the of my test, it was pretty accurate:
  • I'm a creative person and writing a story would fit me.(Coincidentally I started to create my own VN.)
  • I like to use metaphors. People always told me I always do this.(This one was awfully specific)
  • I'm afraid to disappoint people.
  • I'm really picky in romantic relationships.
  • etc.
It does sound like a horoscope, but it's a pretty specific horoschope. I've shared the 16personalities test with 10 friends of mine and they all agreed that it's an accurate test.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Counter Arts »

Five-Factor model there has been research done at least... This one was seeing correlations between amount of grey matter in a particular brain lobe and a personality trait.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 5/abstract

What games do you play Kkoro and Ran?

Kkoro
Regular

#27 Post by Kkoro »

Counter Arts wrote:What games do you play Kkoro and Ran?
I used to play a lot of Assassins Creed, Call of Duty and other pc fpshooters. Now I mostly play League of Legends, Blazblue, Minecraft, some MMORPGS, and Visual Novels. I generally like to play action games with friends which requires skill. I like a bit of competition in games (:

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#28 Post by Ran08 »

@RotGtIE
I'm currently taking a Psychology course in college, and the different personalities of human beings (and a variety of other things related to that) are something that psychologists have been studying for a long, long time now. Introspection is one of the things that we're taught is important when it comes to self-development, hahaha. (As a matter of fact, just recently, my university had us participate in a research study where we did a self-check of our personality traits, preferences, etc.) I wouldn't go as far as saying that taking these exams [even "too much"] could breed narcissism, though. "Too much" is never too much when it comes to personality quizzes! And I honestly don't think people take these exams just to have their ego boosted and to feel like they are being given personal attention. As a kid, I've always loved answering quizzes in magazines like, "What's the perfect summer getaway for you?", "What's the perfect animal for your personality?", and even, "Who's the perfect partner for you?" (<-- which I only saw in my Mom's women's magazines) I think, perhaps, like me, people also take those exams because they're curious to find out if the answer matches them. There's something about matchy matches that fascinates humans(which is why coincidences interest us so much), I think. Hence the fun in these exams. You don't actually believe every word that you read in the result, but instead, you compare it with what you know about yourself, and even if only a little bit of it matches, you feel happy, thinking, "Oh, this is exactly me! How cool was that?" and then get on with your life without thinking about the exam ever again. =)

@Kkoro and Counter Arts
Wow, that's nice, Kkoro! I used to play Left4Dead (and L4D2) a lot, and some CoD, but I don't have much time now because of school. Oh, and how's LoL? So many people tell me to try it! People often compare it to DotA, which I used to play a lot back in high school, though I sorta fell out of the DotA2 hype. =) The graphics are simply not my type. Anyway, my all-time favorite games are all RPGs though, hahaha. Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Harvest Moon are my Top 5 favorite games (okay, series, hahaha) of all time. And of course, otome visual novels!

Kkoro
Regular

#29 Post by Kkoro »

Ran08 wrote:Oh, and how's LoL?
It is similar to DotA but more straightforward. I personally like LoL more than DotA. It's one of the best games to play with friends. I play it competitively a lot (ranked) and the game feels more frustrating than fun but it's still a challenge I keep coming back to :/ I love to watch the world championship that is going on right now as well! It's pretty cool.

Kkoro
Regular

#30 Post by Kkoro »

Ran08 wrote:Oh, and how's LoL?
It is similar to DotA but more straightforward. I personally like LoL more than DotA. It's one of the best games to play with friends. I play it competitively a lot (ranked) and the game feels more frustrating than fun but it's still a challenge I keep coming back to :/ I love to watch the world championship that is going on right now as well! It's pretty cool.

And I love pokemon so much. I wish I had a 3DS