Personality Types and the VN Creator

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Personality Types and the VN Creator

#1 Post by Godline »

Okay, so just this week I've done the Briggs-Myers personality test and found out that I'm ENFP. I mean woo! ENFPs are awesome and we have friends and happiness and rainbows cause that's what we're all about. But seriously... it explains SO much about me as a VN creator/player.

ENFPs get BOOOORRRED easily. And don't have the patience for some things. Which makes sense that I can never play traditional games and video games. I don't like to have to think/use skill. (I know, that sounds REALLY bad). But I can only play chess for like 30 seconds before giving up, you can forget about Sudoku and for other games the moment I die in game or things get too hard I just quit.

VNs are different for the most part. You don't think. You make choices and the game goes ahead. Which is why I gravitate toward them.

As a developer things are tricky.

This is the official position on ENFPs in the workplace:
ENFPs are also a major asset in brainstorming sessions; follow-through on projects can be a problem, however. ENFPs do get distracted, especially if another interesting issue comes along. They also tend towards procrastination, and dislike performing small, uninteresting tasks.
Everyone says don't bite off more than you can chew and to take things one project at a time, but I can't work like that. I try not to get too carried away, and you will bet your sweet ass I'm doing everything in my power to finish everything I start... but I need to have a few projects in the works at once. Because I'll get bored of one, work on another, go back to the other one and so forth depending on my fancy.

If I just have one project I'm like "Okkkay, what now?".

So anyway, people that have worked with me, this explains a little about how I operate (eccentrically, clearly) and how things are different for me than your usual developer. Or maybe they're not. What about everyone else? Any other ENFPs? Anyone finding that there personality type is why they work on VNs? For better or for worse.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Personality Types and the VN Creator

#2 Post by SundownKid »

The last I checked, I am an INTJ. In other words on the chart here, I would be the "architect" type.. so it makes sense that I like making my own games.

Jae
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Academy Life

#3 Post by Jae »

I've been an ENFP since middle school when I first took the test. If I think about it, I was probably an ENFP by the time I gained motor skills as a toddler.

I compiled a 250-page hand-drawn dinosaur book when I was in elementary school. Whether or not the stuff I wrote in there is scientifically accurate is another story :P

That was probably my first "successful" personal project. As long as I'm interested and have the drive to continue working, I won't stop. But if I hit a wall and there's nothing I can think of to fix it, I put things on hold.

More than two decades later, I'm pretty much still the same. Always had an "issue" trying to do too much. The worst is when I take that to the professional world and I try doing all sorts of crazy things that just cannot be done within a certain timeframe. And I'm completely aware of this.

Knowing that as a weakness, I try my best to get things done at some point. Key phrase is "at some point." Much of my "self-improvement" nowadays involves upping my problem-solving skills. I figure that's likely the best way for me to beat down walls and obstacles that have held me back on many projects.

Many, many, many, many projects in the past sunk into development hell (and are still there). Conversely, many projects were completed, much to my satisfaction. Attempting to repeat that feeling is a major driving factor.

As a result, I'm labeled a "campaigner." :P

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#4 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Last time I checked I was ISTJ or "The Logistican" so it makes sense why I'm so dedeicated to my projects, and enjoy making things with goals in mind. It also hinders being very... rule breaking(?) I guess, because I tend not to like things that try to be different for difference sake. I guess that's the whole practical part of me, if it's not broken, and that sort of thing haha

That also makes it harder to form loose teams because I like to give or get clear direction, or just work by myself if I can feasibly handle it. I do get burnt out easily however, and have broken some engagements and relationships recently to try and balance my school/home life (deep commitment), along with my money making and general pleasure (aka making and playing otome trash ohoho)!!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#5 Post by Anne »

Pretty much the same as Hazel-Bun

Fluxx
Regular
Projects: Magnificent//Omniversal Love, Nature's Kingdom
Organization: Natural Freedom
IRC Nick: Fluxx
Tumblr: superfunspacejam

#6 Post by Fluxx »

Godline try being INTP. It's like that X100
CURRENT PROJECTS (Ongoing)
Nature's Kingdom - A Girl Wishes for Utopia -
Web Novel that takes place in the same universe as Magnificent//Omniversal Love.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SundownKid »

After taking the test again, I discovered that I am actually an INTP. Which seems more accurate to be honest.

Fluxx
Regular
Projects: Magnificent//Omniversal Love, Nature's Kingdom
Organization: Natural Freedom
IRC Nick: Fluxx
Tumblr: superfunspacejam

#8 Post by Fluxx »

SundownKid wrote:After taking the test again, I discovered that I am actually an INTP. Which seems more accurate to be honest.

I'm surprised you actually finish projects. How do you do it? Tell me the secret.
CURRENT PROJECTS (Ongoing)
Nature's Kingdom - A Girl Wishes for Utopia -
Web Novel that takes place in the same universe as Magnificent//Omniversal Love.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SundownKid »

Fluxx wrote:
SundownKid wrote:After taking the test again, I discovered that I am actually an INTP. Which seems more accurate to be honest.

I'm surprised you actually finish projects. How do you do it? Tell me the secret.
Mainly it's just forcing myself to continue. I find it easy to lose interest in things halfway through, but I have to use my self control and brute force my way through it despite the pain.

Keinart
Regular
Completed: One Thousand Lies
Projects: Lotus Reverie
Organization: Keinart Lobre
Tumblr: keinart
itch: keinart

#10 Post by Keinart »

Depending of the test I usually get INTP or INTJ, I guess I'm in a borderline there for the P and J with more of an inclination for P. Also every test and person I met have told me that I probably have aspergers, but never bothered checking so I can't tell for sure.

I have like one million ideas and stuff I want to do but can't get too focused and usually end doing something else. My trick to stick to something? I literally have nothing else. I can give everything in my life to whatever objetive I have, and I lost friends in exchange of dedicating my time to what I really want to do or be, what I can't get with focus I do with time, time that I take from everything else. My main issue though is that I can't really handle people and that I'm never happy with what I get.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#11 Post by papillon »

It's been ages, but I'm generally an INFP when tested, really extreme on everything except the E/I, which is right on the borderline owing to being an introvert who likes the stage. :)

Personality 'types' are all really vague, anyway. It's like star signs. Most people have all the traits described for every type in some proportion, but the more you believe that you are a type, the more you will reinforce your behavior and skew yourself in that direction.

If you want someone else's suggestions on improving your writing as an ENFP, you might try here: http://andreajwenger.com/2009/08/22/the ... rsonality/

But going along with what I said, the 'tips' for almost every type include some things that sound like me.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

Every time I do these, i get ISTP and, according to the profiles I often find regarding that personality type, me being a creator seems to be a natural fit.
Also about the parts of breaking stuff apart and putting it back together as something new. If people looked hard enough, you could easily tell what I stole took inspiration from in things like my GUIs :lol:
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#13 Post by Harliqueen »

I get ISFJ, which is either 'The Nurturer', or , 'The Defender', depending on where you look.

To be honest I never really understood how the personality type would impact the way I work :D Though, it apparently makes me reliable, imaginative, hard-working, and enthusiastic, which I'm hoping work in my favour considering I want to turn making VNs into my career!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

alexwhite
Regular
Tumblr: blinkingkills

#14 Post by alexwhite »

I am an INTP.
FInishing jobs is extremely difficult for me, which is why i never take the lead if i can help it. I'm always much more likely to finish something if i know there is someone behind me that will be pissed if i don't.
Or if they are waving cash my way that will also help.

People have always told me that my personality isn't good for being an artist but oh well, I'm graduating with an illustration/Entertainment Arts degree in december so shows what they know.

Kkoro
Regular
Projects: False Elegy, Incompatible Species
Deviantart: 6kkoro

#15 Post by Kkoro »

INFP-t here. The descriptions fits really well with the role I took in the team. As the site says, I created my own story in the form of a a visual novel. Even though I'm the director, I see my position more as equal to my team members, rather than above my teammembers. I run a more democratic team. This could however be a downside as I can be too careful when giving people directions as I might be too afraid of hurting their feelings.
Character Designer and Illustrator
Follow me on social media!