Voice Solutions?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

Voice Solutions?

#1 Post by EwanG »

OK, I was very lucky for Senior Year to have found some great voice actors, and I found another great set for my YKK fanimations I've been releasing.

However, the reality is that as a creator I am always ahead of my voice talent - and then there's having to deal with their real lives - which can impact "my" schedule. Given what I'm paying (credits only), I hardly have any room to complain. But while I can create my own art, do my own video editing, find plenty of creative commons licensed music, and write my own scripts I still can't do my own voices. Oh, I could if I only had male characters with deep voices, but that's kind of limiting.

So, am just wondering if there have been any breakthroughs in text to speech or in voice altering software I wasn't aware of? I don't want to replace the actors on my current series, but for the next one I'm lining up, it would be so much more convenient if I had more control of when the lines got done :D

Thanks!
Working on something... might even be something good :D

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Voice Solutions?

#2 Post by Cybeat »

I don't know, but I think I know some that might fit. Hatsune Miku is for singing, but it might work for female characters. In FL Studios, there are some voices that can be used. All you do is text what you want the program to say. That's all I know.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#3 Post by sake-bento »

The unfortunate reality is, there's really nothing as advanced as that yet. The closest I can think of is getting everyone's favorite Vocaloid, Hatsune Miku to sing your OP, but that won't translate over into voice acting (her voice is pretty flat and lifeless for spoken words).

For getting voice actors, there are a couple ways to handle flakiness, busy lives, etc. The first is to note in any audition posts (I assume you use the Voice Acting Alliance as your main source of talent) that this is a long and ongoing project and you only want people who have the time and resources to invest in it. While this won't eliminate everyone or account for Grandma Pearl dying suddenly, it does thin things down a little. Second, cast an understudy. That way if the lead can't do the voice, you have someone on the side who can step up pretty quickly. The third thing is to use shorter scripts and shorter deadlines. A large script with plenty of time to record will probably get pushed back until it's too late, and then the person will need an extension. Breaking up the script into logical portions with two-week intervals to record usually helps.

These are only my own observations, so your mileage may vary. Hopefully it helps? ^_^;;

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by EwanG »

So has anyone actually tried the "AV Voice Changer" software that I see advertised everywhere? Their "demo" is next to useless - which is a bit of a red flag for me as it is. However, while I appreciate the tips above, I'd rather have a consistent sound even if it's a tad off, then end up with a series where two or three people end up doing the same character.

I suppose holding off until I can save up enough to pay people is also an option - but I suspect I would have to be willing to pay quite a bit per episode before folks started taking it any more seriously than they do now. And if I do that, well it becomes something I can't do just because I want to :D

FWIW

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Cybeat »

If I had a microphone, I would help free of charge. I never have the money to buy one, though. By the way, would a vocoder work for your game (no, I don't have one)?
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

klang

#6 Post by klang »

For voice editting, try looking up Audacity. It's free and while not amazing, it can do most of the basics (or so I've heard). I also heard that Sound Forge is pretty good audio software, but the cost scares me.
= 口=

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by sake-bento »

I have not tried the voice changer. I would not put too much stock in it, though. Digitally edited voices will always sound a little bit off. Same goes for digitally generated voices. Audacity is only a sound editing software (I use it, myself). You can do things like change pitch, but that's about it for changing how a voice sounds. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going for a fake sounding voice, though.

#8 Post by Guest »

There's a way to alter voices in Adobe Premiere. You can change the pitch of sounds you use in it. I'm sure other software has this capability as well, I'll look into it for you.

You could always find people who are good at altering their own voices (like impersonators do) or just have a voice that fit the character. I'm sure there's also plenty of people on the internet that have microphones and would love to help you.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by EwanG »

Well, the "folks who have microphones" option proved to be as big a bust as I was afraid it would. On the first week, I only had one person late. On the second week, I had three people late. On the third week I had half the folks late. By the fourth week almost everyone was late, and I never did get voices from some folks even days later - at which point I pulled the plug on the project.

I did purchase a couple of voice altering packages, and you can probably pull a couple voices out if you're willing to spend time on pitch and tone. Which tells me that my first instinct was unfortunately correct. If you're going to have a large cast, you HAVE to be able to pay people, and be able to pay them enough to make it worth their while to get it done.

Just my .02 worth...

maselphie
Regular
Projects: By The Lake, Seraphine

#10 Post by maselphie »

EwanG wrote:Well, the "folks who have microphones" option proved to be as big a bust as I was afraid it would. On the first week, I only had one person late. On the second week, I had three people late. On the third week I had half the folks late. By the fourth week almost everyone was late, and I never did get voices from some folks even days later - at which point I pulled the plug on the project.

I did purchase a couple of voice altering packages, and you can probably pull a couple voices out if you're willing to spend time on pitch and tone. Which tells me that my first instinct was unfortunately correct. If you're going to have a large cast, you HAVE to be able to pay people, and be able to pay them enough to make it worth their while to get it done.

Just my .02 worth...
This post bothers me, as a voice actor and producer who works with voice actors. Amatuer voice acting can be a huge success, and it's usually not their fault if a project fails. If a character drops out, you recast. You don't dump the project in the trash and waste the time of everybody else in the project. Part of an amatuer VA's "payment" is a completed project. And I can't believe you're upset about "late" lines. Some amatuer producers would kill, absolutely kill, for "late" lines. Being upset about a couple missed deadlines should be the worst of your worries. Personally, I wouldn't feel motivated to work with a producer who couldn't understand the sacrifice that VA's make by taking time out of their busy life to record material. You honestly have to remember that these folks are not being paid, like you said, and must be treated accordingly. They're volunteers. They don't really owe you anything, they just opt for a commitment. If it irritates you to no end that someone might actually not churn out (an unspecified amount of) lines at a speed that an unexperienced VA has established, but does it anyway, then I do recommend you supply all the voices you need yourself.

Sorry to sound a bit aggressive there, but I felt like I needed to defend the people who have helped me achieve so much and have become my good companions. There is a way to succeed with AVA's ... it's far from impossible.
I have switched accounts to Aleema.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by EwanG »

FWIW, I outlined the commitment during the audition process, and asked folks not to sign up if they couldn't meet them. I gave them my deadlines, and made sure I got them their scripts when I promised. If it were one person who wasn't keeping up, then I certainly would have recast. When there are 17 characters played by 10 people and after only a few weeks I'm not getting lines, then I don't see the point in trying to put out an animation that has no vocals :D

As I said in my original message, I had concerns about that large a cast on a volunteer basis. Everyone kept telling me that if I was upfront about what I needed and what I was doing that I could expect folks to do what needed to be done. Given my experiences on my other two projects I was doubtful but hopeful. As it turns out, the experiment shows that I was right to be doubtful, and wrong to be hopeful.

If you can get 10 people to commit to doing 12 ten-minute episodes over a period of a few months, then my hat's off to you. But I suspect you're somewhat comparing apples to oranges here. My takeaway from this is that if I want to do something major, then even if the end product is designed to be free, I have to have a budget to pay for the work going in. I'm not nearly as bothered by this as I would be if I'd been paying for the privilege.

My .02 worth...

maselphie
Regular
Projects: By The Lake, Seraphine

#12 Post by maselphie »

This is most definitely not apples to oranges, and I'm quite insulted by the suggestion.

Believe me when I say 10 people are a managable cast list. I've organized and completed full length projects (much larger and more complex than your project's scale) with cast lists of over 35 members. I would be lying if I said I didn't have problem people, but then there's those who go above and beyond what I ask for as well. I don't hold anything against anyone. I move on. So somehow, miraculously, my projects continue and I have amazing finished products (if you want proof, I'd be more than willing to provide). But that's not wholly true, it wasn't really a miracle these things get done. I know exactly why they succeeded, and the first reason was that I didn't get frustrated and quit. And I'd like to note that I have completed such projects on my first attempt.

Any unpaid team-oriented project must be considered a labor of love, as everyone is a volunteer who contributes when other things do not prevail them. Even if you state what you require for your team members, it's still just a hobby. Hobbies take time. And that is what you were unable to sacrifice. Was there any real reason that the animation had to be done within a week? Just that you wanted to? That's a bit selfish for a team project. You need to give things, people, projects -- everything -- more time, especially when they are favors done for you.

Beggars can't be choosers, you get what you pay for, don't bite off more than you can chew, etc. You have a lot to learn, so good luck.

I'd like to suggest that prospective producers disregard EwanG's dismal portrait of the AVA community, because in reality it is a very useful resource with amazing talent and reliable people. His point of view is based from one limited experience.
I have switched accounts to Aleema.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#13 Post by Samu-kun »

Now, now, be nice. :3 From my limited experience with the voice acting community, I've found that there are many talented people there who are willing to work for free. It's just that they need some encouragement to keep working. XD Well, It's very hard to keep the voice actors organized if producer can't focus primarily on them. I know from experience that trying to manage a team of 10 voice actors, drawing the art, writing the story, and doing everything else related to making a visual novel all at the same time takes a Herculean effort. And I can well imagine that the work burden to create an ONA is much, much larger than the amount of work one needs to create a visual novel. I recommend EwanG to complete all the art first, and then get his voice actors to voice it. It's next to impossible to have enough time to simultaneously draw so much art and to manage a voice acting team at the same time. And if maselphie has such a great visual novel or even ONA related projects to show us, then why doesn't she share them on the completed works section of this board? I'm curious as to what other stuff you've released in the past.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by sake-bento »

I was just gonna let this lie, but since I'm fairly certain I've had more dealings with AVAs (being a producer and working for other producers, especially on the VAA) than most here for many, many years, I figured I should toss my two yen in.

Good: Show results. When I record a set of lines, I'd like to see the finished product, and I am a bit wary about recording even more lines for that producer if my previous set seems to have disappeared into thin air. If I record lines for someone and I don't see the results, I'm not going to be in much of a hurry to record more lines for that same person. Producers have a reputation to maintain as well. If your voice actors aren't coming through, posting a trailer featuring their voices is an excellent motivation, and a demo or sample of the game allowing them to hear their voices on the characters is even moreso. The trailer is even better if you post it in a public place so other people can comment on it as well.

Bad: Constant reminders. One email a few days before deadline is really the only reminder that most AVAs find proper and acceptable. Constant email reminders are no good, and AVAs are especially turned off by being asked for lines on any IM. Now if an AVA misses a deadline, the proper response is an individual email phrased something like so:

Hi! This is [name here], and you missed the deadline for the last set of lines for [character] for [project]. Are you still available to voice this character? When do you think you can get your lines in by?

Then that person will arrange a new deadline. If they keep missing deadlines, a polite email informing the person that they appear to be too busy to work on your project so you'll gladly relieve them of one obligation works just fine.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#15 Post by Samu-kun »

Good: Show results. When I record a set of lines, I'd like to see the finished product, and I am a bit wary about recording even more lines for that producer if my previous set seems to have disappeared into thin air. If I record lines for someone and I don't see the results, I'm not going to be in much of a hurry to record more lines for that same person. Producers have a reputation to maintain as well. If your voice actors aren't coming through, posting a trailer featuring their voices is an excellent motivation, and a demo or sample of the game allowing them to hear their voices on the characters is even moreso. The trailer is even better if you post it in a public place so other people can comment on it as well.
I completely agree with this statement. Volunteers like to see the fruits of their labor take shape. Unfortunately, for visual novel and ONA projects, this is very difficult, because in general, it takes many months or even years to finish a single project. That's why short things like trailers and samples are necessary to keep your team motivated. However, on the other hand, on top of all the art, story, and programming that needs to be done for a single project, the producer may simply not have time to keep motivating the team. Anyways, I think there just needs to be more understanding between the voice acting community and the visual novel community. The amount of work it takes to make a complete visual novel is truly staggering, and the producer may not have enough time to keep rallying the team. That's really the biggest problem that I've been having with my own project. My plan is to just get everything I need to get done for my project first, and then put my full effort into rallying my team after I've put together the story, the art, and the programming. Because trying to organize a team of voice actors is truly a full time job. :3