Make some organization to automate RenPy Coding

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
tanix
Tumblr: TanixBR

Make some organization to automate RenPy Coding

#1 Post by tanix »

Hi Guys,

I'm a Developer and I'm trying to make things easier for who is not comfortable with Coding and other technical Stuff.

I'm thing in some idea to make a Spread Sheet (Excel) that who is designing the Game can enter whatever it needs in terms of how the game should flow and the references (Characters, Background, Music, etc). This will become easier for a developer to understand how it will be Design this game.

Other future Development will be Create a PHP Framework that the user will upload this Excel and it will be stored in the database and the server can process it and generate the game. Bla bla bla..... To Sum up the user will do the excel and somehow it will become a file that will be able to put direly on RenPy.

What you think about it?

Please comment if you think that is good, bad, or what I should take in consideration, what are the drawbacks

Thanks
Attachments
Template.zip
Template
(11.76 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

Suika
Regular

Re: Make some organization to automate RenPy Coding

#2 Post by Suika »

From an automation standpoint, I like the concept. I'm not sure how many people use excel to write their scripts on account of lacking technical capabilities, but I'm sure there is some demographic that would benefit. You might consider writing a macro in VBA to convert the file to a ren'py script though, rather than creating a web app for it. In the first place, you wouldn't need to parse xlsx with a php library, and everything would be self-contained.