Thoughts on Flashbacks with Choices?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Thoughts on Flashbacks with Choices?

#1 Post by Windchimes »

Hi there!

So recently I've been outlining an idea for a VN project. The story will be mostly be told through flashbacks. Originally, I was planning for it to be a KN, but then I also started entertaining the idea of adding in some game choices to branch into around 2 to 3 endings. But my concern is: considering most of the story comes in the form of flashbacks, if there are game choices for the player to choose from during the flashbacks, would that be too weird (since it's supposed to have happened in the past)?

Any thoughts on this? When there are flashbacks in a VN, do you expect there to be no choices during the flashback?

Thanks!~

PS: If this was posted in wrong sub-forum I'm sorry! I'm still not sure where some posts belong

HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

Re: Thoughts on Flashbacks with Choices?

#2 Post by HiddenCreature »

I don't expect choices in a flashback, unless they'll directly affect current events somehow (also, assuming certain said events haven't already been established). Best middle-ground I can think of here, is to make choices that are only dialogue replies. Even then, the replies can't be too defining, like saying, "I only support this faction."

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

I'm pretty sure I've played more than one adventure game that lets you make choices in flashbacks. So sure go ahead and do it.

But generally speaking, I don't recommend making your art by committee. If you want to do something, go and do it. If you do it well you will find an audience. If you only do what other people say they'd like...then you run the risk of losing your artistic voice. And if I'm going to play your game, I want to hear your voice, not the collective voices of randoms with opinions on the internet.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#4 Post by SexBomb »

Completely agree with trooper6.

I have actually never played a game with a choice in a flashback... The idea is appealing to me, but only if the choice affects the current events, and ultimately contributes to the game end(s). You definitely want to make sure it serves a purpose to the story you are trying to tell.

Skarn
Regular

#5 Post by Skarn »

As long as the past choices do not contradict anything that already happened in the present, I don't see where is the problem.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's a technique I've seen used to show immediately that your choices matter.

For example, a character's shirt is removed, because reasons. Then flashback of an accident that happened when they were little. With choices in the flashback. Of course, the character cannot die in the past, but if they got badly hurt during it, when the narration goes back to the present, the reader discovers they have a scar on their torso.

That creates a "you're the consequences of your past decision" feeling that is not uninteresting. Sort of interactive Butterfly Effect, without the need for a supernatural element.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#6 Post by Windchimes »

Thank you for all your comments!

trooper6 wrote:I'm pretty sure I've played more than one adventure game that lets you make choices in flashbacks. So sure go ahead and do it.

But generally speaking, I don't recommend making your art by committee. If you want to do something, go and do it. If you do it well you will find an audience. If you only do what other people say they'd like...then you run the risk of losing your artistic voice. And if I'm going to play your game, I want to hear your voice, not the collective voices of randoms with opinions on the internet.
That is a very good point. Thank you ^^ This is going to be my first VN project, so I'm rather unsure about the style and format and all that, which is why I posted to ask. But you're right. If I don't even like what I'm doing for my VN there's no point right? I'll keep that in mind while I'm working on the project. Thanks again~