Hetero or homo?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

Hetero or Homo?

Hetero love
55%
Homo love
45%

Total votes: 199

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Hetero or homo?

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

For a VN, I have some questions...

The first one is in the polls.
What do you think about shounen-ai or shoujo-ai?

In my culture that's totally prohibited, but I just wanna know these thingies, never played 'em before.

Sin
Veteran

Re: Hetero or homo?

#2 Post by Sin »

This is a thread where guys will vote hetero and girls will vote homo. I haven't met a girl yet that didn't like Shounen-ai.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#3 Post by Vatina »

Sin wrote:I haven't met a girl yet that didn't like Shounen-ai.
Well then I will be the first :P
Shounen-ai (especially yaoi) really annoys me. It seems so pointless. That's not to say that I could never like a story that features shonen-ai - as long as it's not done for the boy-on-boy love alone, then it could be interesting. But most of those stories are nothing but pointless fanservice.... <_<;; And what I hate even more, are fangirls who think I hate gays or have homophobia because of this.
And the slashing! Don't get me started on that :evil:

I hope I'm not offending any shounen-ai/yaoi fans out there or sounding too hostile, it's nothing personal against you, and I won't hold it against you. One of my very best friends is a huge yaoi fangirl. It just really bugs me sometimes when some people keep shoving it in my face....

Yeah I know there are pointless hetero stories as well, such as the many sappy comedy romance movies out there, and I avoid them as well.

Shoujo-ai.... the same I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFD-_1shvRs

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

I have nothing against shounen-ai and I am a guy :twisted: That rhymes! That rhymes!

However, I agree with Vatina. I didn't vote for hetero or homo because my opinion is that the story need not even be limited to hetero or homo as long as it works. It can touch on a wide range of issues such as religion, sexuality, morality, politics, racial discrimination or whatever the author pleases as long as it works.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#5 Post by azureXtwilight »

Sin wrote:This is a thread where guys will vote hetero and girls will vote homo. I haven't met a girl yet that didn't like Shounen-ai.
Then I'll be the second!
I don't know, but I don't like something like this.
I'm a girl myself,but looking at a preview of a shounen-ai makes me don't want to play it.
Personal taste? I guess...
Vatina wrote:And what I hate even more, are fangirls who think I hate gays or have homophobia because of this.
And the slashing! Don't get me started on that
I don't want to get those thoughts too! :(

Uh, I'm just asking for your personal taste, lordcloudx...

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#6 Post by Hime »

Sin wrote:This is a thread where guys will vote hetero and girls will vote homo. I haven't met a girl yet that didn't like Shounen-ai.
Nice to meet you (number 3, uhuhu, both Azure and Vatina posted while I was writing), I don't enjoy it a slightest bit. :D I can't stand it enough to watch any shows with it either, ugh... Gays are fine and cute in real life (though I've seen a man kiss another only once), but the shounen ai/yaoi industry and its fandom are obnoxious.

Shoujo ai is fine, though. Somehow a pair must include a girl or it won't be interesting to me: I guess it's more easy to relate to girls as a girl. I actually like boy/girl and girl/girl equally. But if it's a VN with straight pairings, then I prefer bishoujo games over otome games.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

That was my personal taste. As long as it works, I don't care if it's yaoi or shounen ai or shoujo-ai or Ai Enma or whatever :twisted:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Karasu_Noir
Regular

#8 Post by Karasu_Noir »

Well, I choose hetero...

I hate shounen-ai and yaoi, that's all.
A life is a life, there's no need to rush anything.
Just sit back and relax.
But don't take too long.
.............Or darkness will eat you.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#9 Post by chronoluminaire »

Hmm... Well, I like BxG, GxB and GxG, but not BxB. Which means that on average, I prefer hetero. :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Karasu_Noir
Regular

#10 Post by Karasu_Noir »

Why GxG over BxB?
A life is a life, there's no need to rush anything.
Just sit back and relax.
But don't take too long.
.............Or darkness will eat you.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#11 Post by papillon »

I don't like shonen-ai. I do like shoujo-ai. I wish there were more GxG or GxB/G (choice!) available.

I don't *hate* yaoi, it just doesn't do much for me in anime/manga. Somehow, whatever makes m/m cute to me in other contexts tends to vanish in anime, especially when sometimes it's written by people who really truly have no clue about the relevant anatomy and are basically just writing a hetero scene and pretending the girl is a boy.

storm-and-fire
Regular

#12 Post by storm-and-fire »

Well, I think I could like everything as long as it's well written, so none of the options represent me. I would be more bothered by totally unrealistic Mary-Sue-ish characters than two men or two women getting together.

Oh, and no hentai for me. In any form.

Jake
Support Hero

#13 Post by Jake »

And I don't think I've heard from a guy yet who had anything against girl-girl stuff. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by lordcloudx »

I just changed my mind. I don't like yuri or shoujo-ai. So there! :twisted:

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

Jake wrote:And I don't think I've heard from a guy yet who had anything against girl-girl stuff. ;-)
Well, that would be me, then. With some exceptions, like the brilliant
Cell Phone Love Letter.
In general though, much like Shounen-ai, I can't relate to it. And I'm not particularly fond of GxG love scenes either. I don't hate BxB or GxG, but I can only have it occasionally, and am not particularly seeking it out.