Please help me choose a story!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
AngelicCarrot
Regular

Please help me choose a story!

#1 Post by AngelicCarrot »

I'm really frustrated right now... I have so many ideas for VNs and I just can't decide on which to do first!! Here's some of the basic stories:

Salt and Sugar- Magical competition!-

A sweet magic and school romance based VN. You play as Matt, a student at Alpha Academy of Military Magic, who's un a bit of trouble with his grades. He goes looking for help and meets Salt and Sugar, two popular girls at school. They're both really good students, so he picks one to be his tutor (which, you'll decide). Salt and Sugar then start fighting over you, and being extremely good magicians, their battles are pretty explosive. You have to survive magic school and choose which one will be your girlfriend, while also helping protect the school from rival magicians who want the mysterious object that emits a large ammount of power located underneith the school's foundation.

(sorry if thats confusing, ask me if you don't get something)
Gameplay-
Possibly some RPG, mini quizzes (for tests), puzzles, and a point-based system.

Kitten's Cry-

You play as a young man who discovers 3 abandoned catgirls(all with different personalities and ages) in an old house. You get to go on dates with each of them and learn their life stories, which helps you piece togehter why they were abandonded.

Gameplay- Basic VN, possibly point-based and puzzles

Tokyo Mew Mew fangame-

Game based off of Tokyo Mew Mew, play as each mew mew and go through there lives

Gameplay- VN, schedual-based, RPG, dating sim maybe?

(Unnamed yet)-

Your girlfriend gets in a horrible accident and is now in a life-threatening coma. While you wait for her recovery, you talk to her best friend and realize that you love her too. Now it's up to you to decide - The old love or the new love?
(features cute loli-looking girls)
Gameplay- Dating sim VN

Blood Princess-

Lupe, a young man from another demention comes to Earth looking for the only thing that can save the queen of his world- The Blood Princess. She ends up being a young, sarcastic homeless girl with a broken heart. He takes her back to his world, and after they interact more, he falls in love with her. Unfortunately, to save the queen, the Blood Princess must be sacraficed and have her life energy used to make a cure. Lupe must decide- His queen or his love?

Gameplay- VN, maze-based

Thats what I have right now. I like Salt and Sugar-magical competition and Blood Princess the best, but I'd still like opinions on the other ones too.

Please don't tell me to pick the one I like the best, cause like I said, I can't choose between them all. ^^;

Oh, and if anyone else wants to use one of my stories (If I end up not using them) please ask/tell me and credit ^^

Tell me what you think! And if you need anymore explainations, feel free to ask and I shall supply! :3
Life, Liberty and RAINBOWS OF HAPPINESS

http://angelicalchemey.deviantart.com/

Jake
Support Hero

Re: Please help me choose a story!

#2 Post by Jake »

In general:

- If your first project is large, you are less likely to finish it. Sure, it's entirely possible to sit down and work through three billion words and a hundred million images, but realistically you're far more likely to finish something if you aim pretty low. Don't think of it as a proper VN if you prefer, just consider it an exercise, but it helps to have something under your belt.

- The first time you do anything you won't be able to do it to the absolute best of your ability, because you'll be learning as you go. So if you think idea X is a fantastic idea that you really want to do a great job of, then don't do it first; get all your learning out of the way on something throwaway so you don't have to worry too much about it being perfect, and get the experience which will help you make a really good job of your second or third work.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Okay, first let me just say that you really need to get behind the story you pick. Making a VN is a relatively difficult task, and so if you aren't motivated by a story you want to make, you probably won't finish.

That being said, I can still have opinions on some of the ideas.
AngelicCarrot wrote:Kitten's Cry-

You play as a young man who discovers 3 abandoned catgirls(all with different personalities and ages) in an old house. You get to go on dates with each of them and learn their life stories, which helps you piece togehter why they were abandonded.
This is the idea that appeals to me the most. I don't know why, but it seems like the combination of abandonment and an unknown past would make for an interesting combination. Sad girls in snow, and all that. Of course, you'd need a reasonable answer as to why they were abandoned.

(Unnamed yet)-

Your girlfriend gets in a horrible accident and is now in a life-threatening coma. While you wait for her recovery, you talk to her best friend and realize that you love her too. Now it's up to you to decide - The old love or the new love?
Reminds me a lot of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Wintermoon »

In general: pick the one for which you feel the most passion right now. A small project is easier to complete than a large one, but a large project with passion behind it is more likely to be finished than a small project without passion.

Specific feedback:

Salt and Sugar: +2 for magic school
Kitten's Cry: +1 for catgirls, +1 for abandonment theme
Tokyo Mew Mew fangame: -1 for being a fangame
(Unnamed yet): -1 for having the same premise as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, -1 for forcing the protagonist to reject a girl he loves
Blood Princess: +1 for interesting premise, but -1 for really obvious choice

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#5 Post by AngelicCarrot »

PyTom wrote:Okay, first let me just say that you really need to get behind the story you pick. Making a VN is a relatively difficult task, and so if you aren't motivated by a story you want to make, you probably won't finish.

That being said, I can still have opinions on some of the ideas.
AngelicCarrot wrote:Kitten's Cry-

This is the idea that appeals to me the most. I don't know why, but it seems like the combination of abandonment and an unknown past would make for an interesting combination. Sad girls in snow, and all that. Of course, you'd need a reasonable answer as to why they were abandoned.

(Unnamed yet)-

Ah, yeah ^^ I think I'll do that first. I have some really good character designs for it too.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien? O.o Sorry I don't know alot of games xD; (I try to stick to the fantasy-type ones, not the real life dramas)

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#6 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Jake wrote:In general:

- If your first project is large, you are less likely to finish it. Sure, it's entirely possible to sit down and work through three billion words and a hundred million images, but realistically you're far more likely to finish something if you aim pretty low. Don't think of it as a proper VN if you prefer, just consider it an exercise, but it helps to have something under your belt.

- The first time you do anything you won't be able to do it to the absolute best of your ability, because you'll be learning as you go. So if you think idea X is a fantastic idea that you really want to do a great job of, then don't do it first; get all your learning out of the way on something throwaway so you don't have to worry too much about it being perfect, and get the experience which will help you make a really good job of your second or third work.

Actually, this is my thrid project ^^; The other two were little games... One is on the Renpy site, it's called "Be My Master". It has alot of flaws but I learned from it ^^

maselphie
Regular
Projects: By The Lake, Seraphine

#7 Post by maselphie »

"Kitten's Cry" reminds me of my own story. So I'd love to see yours. ^^
I like the magic school one, too, though ...
I have switched accounts to Aleema.

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#8 Post by AngelicCarrot »

maselphie wrote:"Kitten's Cry" reminds me of my own story. So I'd love to see yours. ^^
I like the magic school one, too, though ...
Cool ^^

Ah, your story is about the girl who inherits that large ammount of land, right? :3 And the guy...?

maselphie
Regular
Projects: By The Lake, Seraphine

#9 Post by maselphie »

AngelicCarrot wrote:Ah, your story is about the girl who inherits that large ammount of land, right? :3 And the guy...?
... is at her disposal? xD He's a mystery, too.

I played your "Be My Master" short VN and it made me laugh so much.
The face Serenade makes when I poked her was hilarious -- and then she runs away. xD
I hope "Kitten's Cry" has some cute/funny stuff like that, too. ^^
I have switched accounts to Aleema.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#10 Post by LVUER »

At first, I want to say just pick that means less work for you (just for practice) but after knowing that this is your third project... well, go for it. BTW, why don't you assemble a team for the project?
PyTom wrote:
(Unnamed yet)-
Same thought as mine. But the most important thing is the execution since lots of game/anime/manga are based on same idea.

Salt and Sugar - the most interesting one. I want to see the girls fighting over for the boy (and may be the boy always end up blown up to the sky due to the girls' magic attacks)

Kitten's Cry - sequel of Be My Master ^_^ add up more girls, more stories, and more playing hours, want to see this one too.

honoreixix
Regular

#11 Post by honoreixix »

Salt and Sugar

and Blood Princess...
I'm hidden and no one expects much of me... I just hope I don't disappoint anyone...
I'd rather fail doing something I love than succeed doing something I hate...

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by musical74 »

hmmmmmmmm for me it's a virtual tie between Kitten's Cry and Salt and Sugar...Kitten's Cry because I like the mystery of why they were abandoned and it's a cute premise. Salt and Sugar because I REALLY like the idea of *having successful student tutor student that's barely making it*, not to mention that they fight over the guy AND the rival magicians...hmmmmmm tough call, but PROBABLY Salt and Sugar for me. :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

zephiel
Regular

#13 Post by zephiel »

(Unnamed yet)-

(features cute loli-looking girls)
Gameplay- Dating sim VN
....this looks intresting...loli....hmmm cute.......gah, me like.......
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
......................ZZZ
.................ZZZ zuu, zenthosa nara verr nehi zunu.
.............ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#14 Post by lordcloudx »

The unnamed kiminozo-ish project appeals the most to me. Depending on how you pull it off, I think it has the most potential for drama.

My number 2 pick is Kitten's Cry. It feels a bit generic at this point, but if you can create a unique, semi-realistic, semi-serious atmosphere for the VN's world with a solid plot, I think it'll be an excellent VN.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

AngelicCarrot
Regular

#15 Post by AngelicCarrot »

Wow, thanks for all the input! ^__^ I really appreciate it!!

So its decided- Kitten's Cry first ^^ Then S+S

Speaking of Be My Master, I was actually going to make a Beta version of it, with three girls (Serenade is older and is a little more shy, though) But it was kind of boring to me, so I just stopped doing it xD;