Something-studios-like name when licensing a VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
chaotiqueparadis
Regular
Deviantart: chaotiqueparadis

Something-studios-like name when licensing a VN?

#1 Post by chaotiqueparadis »

Let's say I want to release a free VN under creative commons license. I could use my registered pseudonym, but want to use a name such as 'something-studios' (specially because I won't be the only one working on it). If the VN goes well, I'll start making commercial ones.

The problem is: registering a company name or trademark is expensive (like $150 in my country). Also, if I register it as a company, I have to make lots of paperwork every month and definitely don't want that. I want a name I can use without worrying someone else will steal it. How you creators do it when you have to deal with this? Should be enough to have a something-studios.com site?

As far as I know, I can use web urls when using creative commons, but I can't do that if I want the VN to be 'privately registered', right?

For now, I think my best option is to release the first VN under my pseudonym, but after that, If I want to make commercials VN, how can I do it?

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Something-studios-like name when licensing a VN?

#2 Post by namastaii »

I don't think anyone on this site actually pays for business licenses and trademark etc. (and if I'm wrong, kudos to them)
I think most people just hope that others respect that they chose a name and that nobody will steal it.
For instance, I have a media (same type of studios thing you're speaking of) company name I came up with. I will probably change it in the future anyway. I think you're fine to use your name to watermark your work or put it as a website for your team/company.

It's kind of like choosing a username for a website.

I think the only time you need to register a company name is when you have a huge company or a company that is going to hire employees and pay taxes. This is more of hobby right now so I wouldn't worry about it, you know?

Edit: And I'm pretty sure there is some default law somewhere that will somewhat protect you if someone wants to try to take your VNs and sell them as their own. I haven't heard of that happening though. I think that is a rare case. There are a lot of good people in the visual novel industry and I think everyone (at least most) have a respect for others and their work.

Building a website and registering a domain name is probably the best thing you could do. You own that name now and godaddy.com sells domain names for super cheap. Most are only a dollar or two a year.

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

#3 Post by SinaAzad »

as much as i know , you dont need to register a company or trademark unless you are going to REALLY focus on building visual novels and make a big group.
like namastaii mentioned i think the best thing you could do is making a website with the name you are interested in. i did the same ... dropoftea-studio.com but i dont think thats the safest thing .
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

chaotiqueparadis
Regular
Deviantart: chaotiqueparadis

#4 Post by chaotiqueparadis »

That's good to know! Thanks @namastaii and @SinaAzad for answering :)

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

#5 Post by namastaii »

No problem, so go ahead and do what your heart desires ^^ lol

verysunshine
Veteran
Organization: Wild Rose Interactive

#6 Post by verysunshine »

I've been doing the same thing, using a name without having it formally registered. If I want to make something commercial, I probably will, but as my current project is free I don't see the need.

Build the basics first, then add all the fun bits.

Please check out my games on my itch.io page!

sjgriffiths
Regular
Projects: Acquittal: Induction
Organization: Procella Games
itch: procellagames

#7 Post by sjgriffiths »

Usually, these names are just used as a label as hearsay in hobbyist projects. If you intend it as a commercial venture of any scope, however, things might be different. You may not need to outright incorporate as a company (which brings a lot of complexities and obligations) but just exist as some form of business, e.g. register as a sole trader. Self-employment like this allows a recognised business name (often quoted as [name] t/a [business name], meaning 'trading as') but with fewer complexities than a limited company.

Other options in this vein include partnerships. If you don't want to get into business at all but want to protect your brand name, then as you mentioned, a trademark registration is possible... but, to be honest, trademark registrations are extremely expensive and generally out of scope for hobbyist ventures and even small businesses, especially when you consider that trademark/copyright are just automatic laws and registration is merely an added layer of protection for the companies that can afford to splash out on it, which may have intellectual property that's worth enough to warrant having such expensive protection.