Is it worth having a Mobile version for your game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

Is it worth having a Mobile version for your game?

#1 Post by KittyWills »

I asked this over in my game post, but I wanted a bit more feedback and see what other devs think.

Is there really any reason to port your game to a mobile format? (IOS, andriod, etc) It seems with the renpy community at least that most tend to stick with PC gaming. I'm not sure if it's worth putting the extra work in for something that may only get me a small handful of extra sales.

What do you guys prefer? And have other devs had any luck in the mobile market?

sharkmittens
Regular
Tumblr: corvhush
Soundcloud: corvhush

Re: Is it worth having a Mobile version for your game?

#2 Post by sharkmittens »

I'd actually like to know the answer of this, too. Bumping for better statistics I guess?

Personally, I prefer mobile gaming for the purpose that I'm not always online and I work quite a bit. I like to do things that don't require much effort to access, so I would be more likely to purchase a game on the phone than on the computer.
So I mean, if the game interests me enough to buy it in the first place, I'm going to want it on my tablet more than on my computer.

But I tend to stray from the grand majority, so while I would export it knowing that my crowd exists, I'm not sure how many of us there are.

Zetsubou
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: See my signature
Github: koroshiya
itch: zetsuboushita

#3 Post by Zetsubou »

I'd say it's worthwhile, particularly if your GUI is already touch-friendly.
Exporting to Android requires an additional download, but little effort. It's not like you're maintaining two versions of your game, or making changes to the code (apart from some of your screens, potentially).
I'd be mindful of the resolution of your game and its assets though. Once you go past 720p, many current devices (by which I mean 2-3 year old mid-range phones) will lag noticeably, and you may need to rethink some special effects.

That being said, I have no idea how well that translates into sales. Personally I'd rather play VNs on a handheld device, since I'm usually gaming while in transit or away from a PC. But many mobile gamers seem to prefer free-to-play ad-supported games, as opposed to PC gamers jumping on every Steam sale.

Still, given that you should only need to rewrite a few screens and download RAPT, I think it's worth doing. That's pretty minimal effort considering you'd be opening yourself up to a huge platform.
Finished games
-My games: Sickness, Wander No More, Max Massacre, Humanity Must Perish, Tomboys Need Love Too, Sable's Grimoire, My Heart Grows Fonder, Man And Elf, A Dragon's Treasure, An Adventurer's Gallantry
-Commissions: No One But You, Written In The Sky, Diamond Rose, To Libertad, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails

Working on:
Sable's Grimoire 2

https://zetsubou.games

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#4 Post by firecat »

yes its worth it, people are busy meaning there's less time to play PC games. mobile is way more friendly to indie than you think, if you think about the games we build, they only last for a few days, weeks or month. this is not to say its a bad thing but more of how everyone expects indie games to last compare to MMO, AAA games, publishers, etc. watch this video for better explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeTjr4q_grE

this is for touchscreen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHircZu5EI

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

UnknownWriters
Organization: Unknown Writers Gamestudio

#5 Post by UnknownWriters »

It's definitely worth it. I (Odin) rarely play console- or PC-games nowadays, so my first Ren'py VN was played on a smartphone. :) Since that game was so well made, it opened my eyes to Ren'py.

I believe in mobile gaming as long as the games are well made.

wraithseeker
Github: wraithseeker

#6 Post by wraithseeker »

Is there really any reason to port your game to a mobile format? (IOS, andriod, etc) It seems with the renpy community at least that most tend to stick with PC gaming. I'm not sure if it's worth putting the extra work in for something that may only get me a small handful of extra sales.
It depends on whether your game is free or paid. For paid it's not going to be worth it unless your game is already well-known. As for the latter, definitely go for it as you'll reach a wide audience.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#7 Post by mugenjohncel »

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

"POOF" (Disappears) :cry:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Android is a no-brainer, at least if your game is serious. iOS is harder - it requires access to a mac, and a yearly subscription fee.

My big goal for the month is to replace Ren'Py's default gui with one that is mobile-friendly by default.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Miyuu
Regular
Completed: Iris Dream

#9 Post by Miyuu »

Personally, I've played VNs on my Android, and I quite enjoy them, but I'm not sure whether they are made with Renpy or not. Either way, mobile is a good platform if you want to expand. I've seen some successful VNs on mobile, most of them are free but with paid access to some features. I don't know if you can do it for Renpy though.

xelestial
Regular
Completed: Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons, To the Edge of the Sky
Projects: Mystic Destinies: Echoes
Organization: Aeon Dream Studios

#10 Post by xelestial »

We're porting our VN, Mystic Destinies over to mobile right now. Steam support has been good.

It's been a headache, actually, just to get it on Android. Lag and random crashes and screen jumps. Can't say why specifically, as I'm not the programmer, but it's not as simple as we had hoped. Gonna try for iOS, but we'll see. Not a single programmer I've spoken to is confident about Ren'py support on iOS unfortunately.
Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons, an urban fantasy otome visual novel.
Website| Twitter| Facebook| Patreon

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#11 Post by firecat »

xelestial wrote:We're porting our VN, Mystic Destinies over to mobile right now. Steam support has been good.

It's been a headache, actually, just to get it on Android. Lag and random crashes and screen jumps. Can't say why specifically, as I'm not the programmer, but it's not as simple as we had hoped. Gonna try for iOS, but we'll see. Not a single programmer I've spoken to is confident about Ren'py support on iOS unfortunately.
IOS is impossible market to get to as a indie, you have to pay apple to put it on the store. you can't upload to any apple's products without the user jailbreaking the device.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

xelestial
Regular
Completed: Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons, To the Edge of the Sky
Projects: Mystic Destinies: Echoes
Organization: Aeon Dream Studios

#12 Post by xelestial »

firecat wrote:
xelestial wrote:We're porting our VN, Mystic Destinies over to mobile right now. Steam support has been good.

IOS is impossible market to get to as a indie, you have to pay apple to put it on the store. you can't upload to any apple's products without the user jailbreaking the device.
We've already gotten permission to become an Apple developer. Our app just has to pass their standards test, which may not be possible for Ren'py. The hardest thing is that no one knows what their standards are. But it's not impossible for an indie in general - and it doesn't cost much to become a developer.
Mystic Destinies: Serendipity of Aeons, an urban fantasy otome visual novel.
Website| Twitter| Facebook| Patreon

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#13 Post by MimirollCookie »

Well in my opinion, yep! ^^
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Saitoki1582
Regular
Completed: Fluff Hood's Adventure, The Halloween Night
Projects: Mechanoid

#14 Post by Saitoki1582 »

wraithseeker wrote:
It depends on whether your game is free or paid. For paid it's not going to be worth it unless your game is already well-known. As for the latter, definitely go for it as you'll reach a wide audience.
Agree with this. I have seen some Winterwolves games on android, so it would be nice to have their opinion on this.

One problem with commercial game is how you sell the game: set it behind a paywall or have some chapters for free and the rest can be bought by in-app purchase.Each have its own set of pro and cons:

-Set it behind a paywall limit your audiences, as player can't try before playing to know how good it is.
-use in-app purchase might widen your audiences, but it require more coding skill than just running a simple port and replace your icon.

Also android user are too used to free app, many of them give bad rating to in-app purchase app for "not being really free", or ask for the app to be made free. Similarly, since android app are generally really cheap, a normally $20 game on pc when port to android at same price won't be welcomed unless it's by a well known company, or cartering to a certain audience, or already famous in other media (pc, novel, anime....)

For free game, it would be a no-brainer though. More exposure is always good, unless you don't have $25 to pay for developer fee.

jQ_theeNHK
Regular
Projects: theNetwork

#15 Post by jQ_theeNHK »

If the goal is to make money, I say go for it! You already did the hard part, u created the game world! If all it takes is some extra coding and maybe some changes to port it, go for it. It could not only help u with your current game but gain loyal followers for future game sales as well! I think I remember seeing somewhere, or someone telling me, the iOS contract is like $100 a year or something like that, not too bad.