Anyone know good scenario planning/flowchart software?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
psy_wombats
Regular

Anyone know good scenario planning/flowchart software?

#1 Post by psy_wombats »

Hey all, I'm looking to get back into VN development and I've got a pretty large script (200+ scenes) kicking around that I'm trying to rewrite/organize. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on software that could make this a little less daunting? I'm basically looking for something to replace the the by-hand spreadsheets and flowcharts I've got now, probably going to be shuffling things around a lot. Or if there's some industry standard I'm not familiar with that'd be good to know too haha.

I've looked into ChatMapper and played around a bit but I'm not sure it's really suitable for a big VN script and maybe more oriented towards planning out individual scenes. If anyone's used it before would love to know if it's worth the learning curve and time to get all my stuff converted, because it does seem like a nifty tool.

Thanks!
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

Klawzie
Regular
Organization: Kappa Creek
Tumblr: klawzie
Deviantart: klawzie

Re: Anyone know good scenario planning/flowchart software?

#2 Post by Klawzie »

I've seen Chatmapper recommended around here. Haven't used it myself, though. I just went with Twine and it's working really well for me.

psy_wombats
Regular

#3 Post by psy_wombats »

Klawzie wrote:I've seen Chatmapper recommended around here. Haven't used it myself, though. I just went with Twine and it's working really well for me.
As in using Twine to plan rather than the engine itself? Twine looks pretty straightforward so I'll at least try it out, thanks.
@psy_wombats - Hobby dev of VNs, RPGs, roguelikes, and other junk... professional phone game dev :/

KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

#4 Post by KittyWills »

I second TWINE. It's really easy to use and makes planning out branching paths way easier.

VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

#5 Post by VimislikArt »

I also gotta throw my hat in for Twine - it's super intuitive, has a nice visual layout for your flowcharts, and the best part is, you can export a working version of your flowchart for game testing. It's what I'm using right now to get everything arranged.
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#6 Post by kaleidofish »

Two other options besides Twine are FreePlane and draw.io. I haven't used either of them, but they have been recommended on these forums before.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

psy_wombats
Regular

#7 Post by psy_wombats »

Thanks, Twine is working out well so far, started to get things moved over. Might use draw.io for some work/programming flowcharting though haha.

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#8 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

I used yEd Graph Editor and it works amazingly.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#9 Post by Morhighan »

kistnerelizabeth wrote:I used yEd Graph Editor and it works amazingly.
I second this.