Recently I've been working on a new website called StoryDevs. It's designed to help developers of visual novels, interactive fiction, or other story-oriented game types to find one another. It will allow you to make and search profiles based on criteria like availability, role (artist, writer, etc.), type of compensation (volunteer, commission, etc.), whether individuals are comfortable with adult content, and so on.
When you perform a search on the talent database the results will appear on the right and your search criteria will remain saved on the left in case you decide you want to change them. You don't have to specify everything—as you can see below I didn't specify the compensation type I'm looking for, nor whether I want someone comfortable with adult material.
After you select a result, the search column on the left will collapse and the profile column will expand. (You can expand the search again later if you want—your search criteria will remain saved). The profile column will give you details on whatever you have selected. The page won't refresh when you do this so you don't have to worry about losing your place in the results.
In the above image you can also see an "+ Add To Collection" option. This allows you to add profiles that you like in a list so that you can look at them later. Your collection will be able to be searched the same way you would the database except that it's limited to the things you put in it. Unfortunately, since registrations aren't open yet you won't be able to do anything with it as it requires an account.
As mentioned above, registrations aren't open yet. However, you can reserve your StoryDevs handle! Your handle will form the link to your profile, e.g., storydevs.com/my_handle. It will also appear in search results and on your profile page:
We've had a little trouble with emails from our mail server being mistakenly identified as spam, so check your spam for the confirmation email if you can't see it in your inbox. If you don't receive any confirmation email let me know, either here or via email@example.com — it's important as if you don't confirm your email address your handle won't be reserved.
- Increase the number of profiles. Once there are more profiles it will be easier to see how useful the search is. So far the profiles have been hand-picked, hence the small number. If you're an artist who would like to have a profile during the pre-account period and think your work is roughly on par with the existing profiles check out this.
- Add other profile types (writer, editor, musician, programmer, etc.) The only reason I haven't already done this already is because I'd like the work examples for each type to be unique. Musicians will have an audio player, programmers a monospaced text area, and so on.
- Open registrations to the public. It's hard to say when this will be ready, but I'm thinking roughly this time next month. The login system actually already works, so most of the work will involve making a nice system for creating and editing your profile.
- Make a mobile version of the site. At the moment StoryDevs is designed for a widescreen display. The idea I have for the mobile version is similar, but it will involve having to fundamentally change a few things so I'm waiting until the dust settles with the desktop version.
- Make some cosmetic changes to the site. At the moment the profile images don't expand when you click on them and it'd be nice if they did. The home page banner would look better animated. The experience section of profiles really ought to have the dates aligned. Stuff like that.
If you'd like StoryDevs to be a success the best way to help out is by letting other people know that it exists, that you can reserve your profile handles now, and doing stuff like reblogging/retweeting etc. Here's various links for that:
- Website: https://www.storydevs.com
- Discord Server
- Patreon — (under my real name, not 'StoryDevs')
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions, concerns, suggestions, or gummi bears I'll address/eat them in this thread.
Thanks for your time ^_^