BGMusic: Creative Commons License V. Hiring A Music Expert

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

BGMusic: Creative Commons License V. Hiring A Music Expert

#1 Post by hoihoisoi »

Hey everyone, just dropping by to ask a question or two about where to get my background music from for my project.

I'm currently working on a VN of which will be a commercial product (likely ending up on steam) and I'm just really unsure where to get my music from. From what I understand, I could go two routes: going the CCL route by obtaining music online and then subsequently crediting the artist's work in the credits of the game OR going the self-production route by getting a music expert to create BG music for the game. So here are the questions:

Firstly, I'm actually thinking of going the CCL route since I'm on a short budget but I'm not sure if there is any fine print I'm missing. Is there anything to take note of before using music under the CCL for a commercial project like mine?

Secondly, should I hire a music expert for all my BG music or just for the main theme of the game?

Thirdly, where is the safest place to obtain BG music if I eventually decide to go the CCL route?

Lastly, what is your overall opinion on using CCL vs creating your own music (ie. Hiring an expert to do it) for a commercial project like mine and what would you recommend me doing?

Thanks in advance for spending your time looking through these questions. X) Thanks! :D
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

MorchellaGames

Re: BGMusic: Creative Commons License V. Hiring A Music Expe

#2 Post by MorchellaGames »

Hey!

For your first question:
I've never used Creative Commons stuff, but it looks like the three licenses that are applicable to you would be Attribution, Attribution Share-Alike and Attribution-NoDerivs.
So make sure the content you are using is under one of these licenses.
Again, I've never used these licenses so the best would be to at least ask someone who's used them commercially before.

Second question:
Classic answer: it really depends. Can you find something that fits perfectly with your game in CCL or not? Do you have the budget and the time to iterate with a musician on this?

Third question:
Never used free stuff, but I have bought royalty free music on Shockwave-sound.com . At the time (2011), I think one song was like 150$ for unlimited use in a game. Otherwise, look at this list.

Last question:
See second question!
Personally, I plan to hire someone for my projects. There are lots of composer out there just waiting to get the chance to work on something and I want to encourage them! I also want to have something unique.
CCL or cheap royalty-free can be good too, but there is always the possibility of someone using the same thing in another product.

Though I have read that a lot of indies get their sound effects from CCL or royalty-free sources, because it's not as noticeable when there is reuse.

And hey, you can always hire Hitoshi Sakimoto from this place, but it will probably cost 1 000$ US for one minute of music ;)

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

#3 Post by BáiYù »

MorchellaGames wrote:I've never used Creative Commons stuff, but it looks like the three licenses that are applicable to you would be Attribution, Attribution Share-Alike and Attribution-NoDerivs.
NoDerivs means that the work cannot be featured in other media projects. For example, in the case of a NoDeriv song, you cannot use that song in a game or music video.

Whether you decide to use CC assets or privately commission, it's a good idea to read up on what Creative Commons is about. Licenses that allow for commercial use include: You can find a good amount of CC assets here in this board, created by members of LSF itself. Looking at the first page now, there's threads by Alcaknight, Eric Matyas, and namastaii with a large selection of music to browse through. You may also be interested in some lists Alte has compiled, such as this collection and a more Japanese selection. You can also purchase Royalty Freesongs that have already been composed from sites such as JewelBeat or the ones in the list MorchellaGames linked to.

One of the greatest "dangers" of using CC assets of any kind, in my opinion, is that when an asset becomes popular for use, players may already have recognized it from somewhere else. It can cause confusion for some players or may make your game unmemorable. Even still, you can find some legitimately impressive pieces that are just perfect sometimes.
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes

MorchellaGames

#4 Post by MorchellaGames »

Thanks for the clarifications, BáiYù

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#5 Post by Alte »

BáiYù wrote:One of the greatest "dangers" of using CC assets of any kind, in my opinion, is that when an asset becomes popular for use, players may already have recognized it from somewhere else. It can cause confusion for some players or may make your game unmemorable. Even still, you can find some legitimately impressive pieces that are just perfect sometimes.
It does happen, for example: Incompetech /Kevin MacLeod - might sound familiar, overused in projects, however it can match well with the scene.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Alte wrote:
BáiYù wrote:One of the greatest "dangers" of using CC assets of any kind, in my opinion, is that when an asset becomes popular for use, players may already have recognized it from somewhere else. It can cause confusion for some players or may make your game unmemorable. Even still, you can find some legitimately impressive pieces that are just perfect sometimes.
It does happen, for example: Incompetech /Kevin MacLeod - might sound familiar, overused in projects, however it can match well with the scene.
Seconding this. Would also like to point out that even if Kevin MacLeod's music might be used quite often, it's often a select few pieces that get overused-- some of them are actually pretty underused due to the genre of the pieces, imho.

On your first question, though-- that one's answered by the others, I reckon. But yeah, good idea to always keep a copy of what the attributions are on the exact tracks you're using. Read it up.

Second, that one really, really depends on you. Admittedly this is plans for a free VN, but for one of my projects I plan not on having a commissioned main theme, but commissioned character theme songs instead. Main menu music are definitely something pretty important, though, so even if you end up going for CC things, I recommend you try to find lesser known composers. I think you can sort of skimp off on non-important pieces, though-- like moments that are slow and not much is happening and you don't need a memorable piece to carry the atmosphere. Be careful, though, because I think a lot of projects's CC music get easily recognizable BECAUSE of the prevalence of bright, non-offensive, clean music usage, and the fact that some of them are very, very very, well used and worn out. I've lost count of how many projects-- especially ones in modern setting, usually otome-- share the same "everyday" theme from Incompetech. It almost makes me miss Persona 3's school music, and I REALLY am not a huge fan of having singers on background music. Be careful what things you're using CC for. If you're lucky, your player just raises an eyebrow and carries on. If you're not, it just. GAh... please... (even worse, maybe they'll get reminded of another VN with the same music that they really liked and play that instead)

Third, I can't really help you out >>;;; Haven't checked more than Incompetech, to be honest. I'm using 3 Incompetech pieces for the demo, but so far I haven't been called out for that. Yet. Maybe.

Fourth, well. I myself started out thinking that I'm just going to use CC for most things unless I want to do a kickstarter and find a musician-- and even then I was sort of dragging my feet 'bout it, yanno. I don't really venture much into the recruitment forum, and music forum is an even bigger "UMM" for me because back then I didn't really understand how good projects can feel with the right music. Seriously, the right music in the right place makes a scene sO DAMN GOOD that I cannot recommend it enough to commission at least one piece in a moment you want standing out from the rest, should you not be able to find fitting music from the CC libraries. My friend graciously made me a piece for an area after I sent her the alpha for Of All There Is, and it changed the scene from a "this is a place where literally people do nothing, all the time, I am the worst at making compelling settings" to "holy shit I am incredibly bored of testing this damn VN but I will never skip the beginning of this section from just how PERFECT the music is with the scene". What was important wasn't that it was custom music. What was important that it was the perfect piece for that scene. You may want to splurge a bit to get that effect, I feel.

Sometimes you just can't get the money, though, and sometimes you just don't know about kickstarting the thing. But also keep in mind that reviews WILL bring up your choices of music. Depending on the size (as in content, not file size) and the price of the game, using purely CC stuffs might end up getting you more criticism on that front compared to purchasing some music for key moments like character themes or main menu. Regardless of what you might feel (I don't have the money, guys), people will still think "I paid for this, and I'm being forced to listen to a music I might've already listened to three times in three different projects already??".
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!