Epic Quest (EQ) Games / The Fisch Brothers

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Epic Quest (EQ) Games / The Fisch Brothers

#1 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Just wanted to let everyone know this company commissioned me for a 50,000 word script, for $0.03 per word in October of last year (so $1,500 total). I delivered on the specified date (I was to be paid in chunks but ended up delivering 50K all together instead) and they didn't uphold their half of the contract. I was suppose to deliver > get feedback from an editor by a specified date > turn in the edits. I have gone unpaid and have since decided to develop it under my company at a future date. I haven't seen them on social media but they do have games on Steam. I asked for part of the money while things were getting figured out, and then got radio silence again after weeks of emailing/skype messaging. A similar thread appeared about taking a script elsewhere (not the same situation though) but, I hope this helps someone out there! Work for Hire means giving up copyright, etc. but breaching the contract is not ok regardless. Know your rights fellow creatives :)
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Epic Quest (EQ) Games / The Fisch Brothers

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

Thanks for the warning.

I know that $1,500 doesn't sound like a huge sum of money, but have you considered finding an attorney? If Epic Quest apparent does stuff like this on a regular basis, it could mean a nice class action suit, and you might even find a law firm who does this pro bono.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

If you're in the USA You might want to consider small claims court.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

E-l337
Regular

#4 Post by E-l337 »

Let this be a warning for those of you who contract: Before undertaking ANY large-scale project like this, make sure you get an advance.

If they don't want to give you an advance, or do not agree to pay you in installments, you should seriously reconsider the time you will spend working for them.

This is also why you should never deliver the full project before the first check clears. In fact, you shouldn't do ANY work at all until your first advance comes in, unless you agree to deliver the first chunk prior to your first check.

Sorry that you lost out like this, but the only other thing I'd recommend is that when taking on a project of this size, you should definitely get everything in writing.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

@Taleweaver & fleet Yes I am moving forward with legal action soon. Everything is in a contract, and we're both U.S based, so I have that to my advantage.

@E Agreed. I've taken on many projects before and after this with no issue, including one for more pay. I was just afraid of my ability to deliver (never took a project of that size before) and too trusting. Hopefully this helps someone out there; always make/have a contract and receive an advance.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Delsin7
Deviantart: delsin07

#6 Post by Delsin7 »

Ah man, that really sucks. Hope your legal action goes well Hazel-bun!

This is like that saying from Shadowrun. '9 times out of 10 the Johnson(employer) will be straight with you. Then that tenth guy comes along and is a dick."