Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
- Posts: 86
- Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:43 am
- Organization: Dokimomo Circle
I'm working on a project right now with a friend of mine, and we are looking for GUI/logo artists, but everyone I find seems to charge an amount that I/we can't afford. So, I want to try doing this independently. Plus, it looks really fun to design GUI and logos too! So, I want to get an opportunity to try it out for myself.
Thanks to anyone who answers! I'll listen to your recommendations and what you use, how useful it is for you, how simple it is (the more simple the better lol) etc.
- Lemma-Class Veteran
- Posts: 2299
- Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:50 pm
- Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
- Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
- Organization: Fastermind Games
- Deviantart: sundownkid
- Location: NYC
- Posts: 144
- Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:02 pm
- Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
- Organization: KKBGames
- Skype: thedeerlord09
GUI is no different from any thing else in your game. Just images with different actions assigned to them. You could do everything in Paint if you really had to.
- Ghost of Crux
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 511
- Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:17 am
- Projects: To Weave A Thread
- Organization: UNICORSITY
- Tumblr: unicorsity
- itch: namio
- Location: Indonesia
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1513
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:35 pm
- Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
- Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
- Organization: MESI Games
- IRC Nick: Hizi
- Tumblr: mesigames
- Skype: kurotezuka
- itch: hijiri
- Location: Los Angeles
A small word of advice: look at every single game you play and
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1775
- Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:53 am
- Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
- Organization: DarkErotica Games
- Deviantart: OokamiKasumi
- Location: NC, USA
I use PhotoShop.crystalscm wrote:This has been on my mind now (I'm sort of interested in doing GUI/logo designs myself), but the thing is this: I don't really know what software/program to use. I don't know what other GUI/logo artists use to make their GUI/logo either. Maybe this is simply a stupid question, but- in all honesty, I was pretty curious from the start and have never figured out what they used.
-- I create the PS document in the exact resolution I'm making the game, then simply cut out the individual images I need. This way they're guaranteed to fit the first time.
Example: 1366x768 at 96 DPI An easy way to ensure all the pieces fit properly every time is by making a Master PSD you can copy/paste from and a Test Game in the exact size of the games you generally create. With the Test Game you can preset all the coding and specs ahead of time for ALL your games, then just copy/paste the coding as needed, leaving only occasional adjustments to fiddle with. Having a Master PSD and a preset Test Game really speeds up the GUI process.
Example: 1366x768 Test Game
Most recent Games Completed:
- The Walk[Psychological][NanoWinter] ~ PG New!
- Trap! [ModernFantasy][VN] ~ PG16
- The Adventures of Prince Ivan [Fant/Adv/VN] ~ PG
"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar
- Posts: 290
- Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:28 am
- Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
- Projects: eroges!
- itch: sendo
Here are my favorite tools and features of Photoshop (note that these are present in other software as well, such as GIMP):
- Layer Styles (Drop Shadow, Bevel & Emboss, Stroke are my top favs)
- Rulers (see OokamiKasumi's image)
- Clipping Masks
Users browsing this forum: No registered users