Ludum Dare anyone?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Ludum Dare anyone?

#1 Post by Godline »

I feel like I really haven't done anything in a while, game wise, so I was wondering if anyone was interested in trying Ludum Dare with me next month? Because I haven't actually tried it before. :)

Anyone done a VN for it before?

dueceladouce
Regular

Re: Ludum Dare anyone?

#2 Post by dueceladouce »

That's an upcoming jam on itch.io, right? I personally havent though I'm probably gonna try and piggyback off some people to help me get my shizz together. That's if I can find a group that doesn't mind an inexperienced nobody...

Will work in exchange for fight game buddies.

Godline
Veteran

#3 Post by Godline »

There was a replacement jam on itch.io but I think that's not going ahead because Ludum Dare is still going ahead.

I'll decide more when the topic is announced, but what's your skill set? I'm sure you can help out with it!

Hae Young

#4 Post by Hae Young »

A friend of mine recommended me to join a game jam so I'd get better at programming, but I'm a bit scared... To be honest, I never thought about joining with a VN until now.
It does sound interesting, maybe I really will join. I guess the only thing I could do would be writing. English is my 2nd language though.
It has been ages since I tried programming in python. I do have experience in Java, C and Dart, but I guess I can't really say I would be able to help out as programmer... ^^;

dueceladouce
Regular

#5 Post by dueceladouce »

I don't bring much to the table as is, I'm afraid. I can write, do a little art, and some very basic coding and composition.
Its not specifically a VN jam, right? I didn't look too deep but I didn't really see any VNs linked to it. Is there a decent audience there for EVNs?

Godline
Veteran

#6 Post by Godline »

Here's the details: http://ludumdare.com/compo/rules/

Writing is no small thing though. ;) Everything helps.

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#7 Post by Laniessa »

I've participated before, with the rest of Traumendes Madchen, to make [url=https://traumendes_madchen.itch.io/wounded-by-words]Wounded by Word[/url]s. Helia wrote up a post-mortem, if you wanted to give that a read.

Godline
Veteran

#8 Post by Godline »

Oh yeah! I remember marvelling at how you guys made such a comprehensive game in 72 hours.

That really is an amazing game.

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#9 Post by Miss Skizzors »

I haven't done it, but I'm interested in it. If I wasn't putting so much time into something else, I'd do it. Perhaps I will in future. Though it's also not a huge deal to put a current project on hold for 3 days, now is it? Or 4-5, for the sake of recovery.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#10 Post by Zelan »

Oh, jeez. Those rules. This seems like it would be... intense.

I'd like to think I'm a pretty okay writer. If a group would be willing to work with me, I'd consider participating, but I'm really not certain right now that I'd have the time for it... I've got all sorts of summer work to finish, and I'm pretty sure that weekend is the weekend that school starts.

Crono Cidra

#11 Post by Crono Cidra »

Oh I've seen a few of these on another forum. Not for VN's though. If you guys want to do something this fun I'm all for it. We can use any system we want to create our project in? I'm all for it if I can use my preferred system. I think it'll be fun despite my lack of time on weekends.

bosinpai
Regular

#12 Post by bosinpai »

I made a solo mini-LD (Python shooter) a few years ago, I'd be glad to help with graphics or programming :)
Theme is voted this week-end (20th) as far as I understand.

bosinpai
Regular

#13 Post by bosinpai »

Theme voting has begun, and it's also officially LD Warmup Weekend :)

dueceladouce
Regular

#14 Post by dueceladouce »

For those who didnt know yet, the theme is gonna be announced this Saturday (August 27th), but you can start working on assets as of tomorrow (26th). So if you haven't already, now is a good time to start putting teams together. Let's do Eileen proud!

bosinpai
Regular

#15 Post by bosinpai »

Hey. AFAIK for the Jam, you can reuse existing assets, but you then opt out of the "best graphics"/"best audio" voting categories.
Both normal and Jam Ludumdare start in ~7 hours, that is when the theme is announced.
I didn't see anything about starting assets a day before, did I miss something? :)

Also this time is participing for the sake of the challenge, because for technical/anti-cheat reasons there will be no official votes this time :)

Anyway I'm still free this week-end, who's participating?