How to plan your game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aiyumi
Tumblr: daisyryan
Deviantart: daisyryan

How to plan your game?

#1 Post by Aiyumi »

For a long time now I have been wanting to create my own Otome game, and I wondered if I could get some advice from an experienced VN developer.

~ In what order should I design and plan my game? Could someone give me a realistic check list of things I'd need to do to develop a game?
~ I plan on writing the story myself, how should I write a story designed for a VN game with occasional multiple choices?
~ I am an artist, though I don't know how to vector. Are there vector artists on this forum who are willing to offer their skills for someone's game? Also someone who would be willing to create text boxes, buttons and UI? (not for free, of course)

I have been looking through the forum, but there's so much to think about that it's a little overwhelming and confusing.

Thanks!

Yomuchan
Regular
Projects: Codename: NSD!
Organization: Forkheads
IRC Nick: Yomu
Deviantart: Yomuchan
itch: yomuchan.itch.io

Re: How to plan your game?

#2 Post by Yomuchan »

Write the story well ahead before you actually start working on the game. This is what I learned when I found myself changing gameplay stuff right in the middle of coding it.

Will you be coding it in yourself as well?

Aiyumi

#3 Post by Aiyumi »

I have no programming knowledge what-so-ever! I have Tyrano Builder to use, though I may need to ask for help from a programmer if it comes to that. Otherwise i'll go as far as I can with the whole drag and drop system

andrewngn13
Regular
Projects: Recast

#4 Post by andrewngn13 »

I'm no pro, but here are my thoughts. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this fuwanovel thread.
http://forums.fuwanovel.net/topic/7981- ... ual-novel/
It's mostly concerned with the difficulties of managing a project and staying on track though. However, you should try to get the things like:

One leader in charge of management in the team and PR (it can be a writer, but preferably if you have several writers working on your project).
At least one writer (can also be the programmer if he has coding knowledge or if you don’t have a dedicated programmer)
One sprites / CGs artist.
One BG artist
One composer
One editor
One programmer that can also create GUI assets.
*from fuwanovel thread
Of course you can supplement any of those with assets you find online, though be mindful of licenses.

The order I go through when writing is:
premise --> characters development(may include art) --> create endings --> making events that lead characters from intro to end --> sort out etc details --> actual writing process/editing
*If you couldn't tell, I spend most of my time planning then eventually writing. This may differ for other people.

I can't stress enough how important getting the writing elements down first is. Your art, music, (maybe gui?) should be there to match the writing and flow with it. If you don't have it down, everything else tens to get bottlenecked.

Well that's my situation anyway.
"Feel feel to idea-bounce off me."
No, like seriously, just send a pm and I'll respond what I think. I'm open to reading anything.

Aiyumi

#5 Post by Aiyumi »

Thank you so much!! Everything you said is really helpful!
I have the personality of the MC planned and vague ideas of her issues and situations through the story, but that's pretty much it so far!
I know I want 4 male "options" and possibly a female for a G/G route, but i'm not too sure yet.
The story I want to create is full of drama since the MC had a dark and traumatic past, and I want to have the chosen character to help her recover from her troubled past, though she has a positive and fun side, which initially attracts maybe one or two of them to her. I may need to find a second writer to help me create other characters and plots.

I need to save up to invest in a printer to help organize my research! Also a scanner, since I prefer to draw/paint traditionally.

Thank you very much for the advice! <3

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#6 Post by Agashi »

Welcome! And to answer your question relating to the writing portion (I'm not really qualified to answer on the other topics) I'd say the best thing to do is start with an outline.

Write out a basic flowchart of how the events in your story will unfold. Make sure to add when and how different characters are introduced and how their stories intertwine in the main narrative. You don't need to go overboard with details, but just making sure you know where the story is going before you start writing it will help out a lot and save you many headaches down the road. It'll force you to organize everything, which in my experience, always increases the odds of you finishing a project, whatever it is. :)

Good luck to you!
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

deltë

#7 Post by deltë »

Your very first Visual Novel requires concentration, but not that much of hard work. I'm not an 'experienced' VN developer, but I think you should just take it easy and just develop your game steadily. The writing and/or story doesn't have to be perfect. Once you think you've finished, publish it. Then you may receive constructive criticism of some sort, in which you can acknowledge and it can help to improve your skills massively. I think the most important thing of publishing a VN is hearing the fans' response. Without their comments and opinions, you don't know what to improve, and therefore, you can't improve.

So just keep that it mind while making VN's. Doesn't have to be perfect first off, but try and develop it to the best of your ability; then you may publish a demo, then you can hear the community's comments in which you can use to improve your game and projects in the future.

If it didn't help, then yeah, sorry for wasting your time.

raeru
Regular
IRC Nick: ryle
Deviantart: ryle-chan

#8 Post by raeru »

Agashi wrote:Welcome! And to answer your question relating to the writing portion (I'm not really qualified to answer on the other topics) I'd say the best thing to do is start with an outline.

Write out a basic flowchart of how the events in your story will unfold. Make sure to add when and how different characters are introduced and how their stories intertwine in the main narrative. You don't need to go overboard with details, but just making sure you know where the story is going before you start writing it will help out a lot and save you many headaches down the road. It'll force you to organize everything, which in my experience, always increases the odds of you finishing a project, whatever it is. :)

Good luck to you!
Agreed with this one :3 Tho making outlines does slows your progress, it would help to avoid you make adjustment or changes in the middle of the process