Top examples of Kinectic vn?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Top examples of Kinectic vn?

#1 Post by wyverngem »

I'm trying to get some inspiration on expectations for Kinetic novels. Does anyone have or know of any really well made ones that keep you interested in finishing the game? What are they like? Do they use mainly backgrounds and still images to tell the story? Are there sprites at all? I'm tempted to start a project, but before that I want to do more research to see if it's the way to go.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: Top examples of Kinectic vn?

#2 Post by Vatina »

The classic, Planetarian! It uses pretty much all the things a normal vn does, apart from choices. What makes you want to finish is just the story and characters being intriguing enough to make you want to know what happens, I guess.

I'd give more interesting and innovative examples, but can't really think of any at the moment.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#3 Post by Donmai »

No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#4 Post by Fuseblower »

Higurashi! If you like mystery/horror novels. You can find walkthroughs of it on youtube. I like the first chapter the best : Onikakushi-hen. It has a great ending ("Where is the needle?").

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#5 Post by Caveat Lector »

Higurashi. It keeps you invested in the characters and story, and actively challenges you to try to solve the mysteries laid out in front of you. It gets off to a bit of a slow start, but once you get into the main hook of the story, the ride is worth it. The original art style is a bit hit-or-miss for some people, though others prefer the original art over the updated art (this is for sprites--the backgrounds are filtered photographs). The Steam release gives you the option to switch back and forth between the two styles, so experiment and see which one you prefer that feels more effective (my advice: go with the updated sprites most of the time, but switch over to the original sprites for some of the more chilling moments). So far, only the first three episodes/chapters have been released on Steam, so if you want to finish it, you'll have to either be very patient with MangaGamer, or switch to either the anime or manga (I'd recommend the manga, since it's closer to the medium and gets the essentials in in a much more compressed amount of time).
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

I prefer VNs to KNs...and I am more or less exclusively an EVN person. But my recommendations for KNs are anything done my Donmai. Donmai is amazing. The One In Love is the best thing ever. I've also really been enjoying the Ex Astris series.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

I'm the same as trooper up there in the sense that I really prefer VNs over KNs. The one KN that I have played, though, Starlit Flowers, was extremely well-done and cute and I enjoyed it a lot. The art was cute and consistent, the pacing was good, and the story was very sweet.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

In terms of innovative, I think Digital: A Love Story is technically a kinetic novel, being linear, although it does have simple puzzle gameplay to continue the story which also makes it interesting enough to keep playing.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

SundownKid wrote:In terms of innovative, I think Digital: A Love Story is technically a kinetic novel, being linear, although it does have simple puzzle gameplay to continue the story which also makes it interesting enough to keep playing.
I never considered Digital: A Love Story a KN because of the gameplay and my understanding of KNs is that they don't have gameplay. Do I misunderstand the usage of the term?

Anyhow, Digital: A Love Story is the game that got me into the world of VNs in the first place...it (and all the things by Christine Love) are amazing!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

#10 Post by Kinjo »

wyverngem wrote:I'm trying to get some inspiration on expectations for Kinetic novels. Does anyone have or know of any really well made ones that keep you interested in finishing the game? What are they like? Do they use mainly backgrounds and still images to tell the story? Are there sprites at all? I'm tempted to start a project, but before that I want to do more research to see if it's the way to go.
In addition to the previously-mentioned Higurashi, 07th Expansion also made Umineko. Similarly it has a slow start, but after about halfway through the first episode things really start to pick up and it gets harder to put down. It uses filtered photographs for backgrounds and hand-drawn sprites, but I mean that doesn't really have anything to do with being a KN; it was just easier for the creators to do. Rather than invest in better-drawn art, they placed an emphasis on using sounds, music, and ambient noises (such as rain and wind) to create immersion and fill the gaps in the readers' imaginations.

The reason it excels at being a KN is because it has a very particular story (a mystery which kept readers coming back for more) that has to be done in a particular order. The game was released in eight episodes across a 4-year development period (same with Higurashi) and bringing choices into the mix would (presumably) throw 07th Expansion's story off-track. If you're deciding whether or not to make a KN, consider whether or not you want player agency interfering with the way your plot is shaped and whether you can afford to invest in the different branches that might occur.

Oh and hey, my own game is a KN and I think it's pretty good so you should definitely check that out too.

Ark
Regular
Projects: Project Worn Soles

#11 Post by Ark »

Naricissu was another popular one that really catapults people into VNS. Woeth checking out.

I'm also writing a KN since it's more conducive to the novel format. I personally enjoy them, as with well written story and characters it should just be as enjoyable as a book IMO.

Miss Skizzors
Regular

#12 Post by Miss Skizzors »

I second Narcissu (there's only one "i" in it). I personally don't like KN's that much. Some are good, but interactivity is a part of the medium to me. I suppose it's a matter of taste.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#13 Post by Taleweaver »

Definitely try That Cheap And Sacred Thing. One of the best KN tearjerkers I have ever read. At least on one level with Narcissu, if not better.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

deltë

#14 Post by deltë »

wyverngem wrote:I'm trying to get some inspiration on expectations for Kinetic novels. Does anyone have or know of any really well made ones that keep you interested in finishing the game? What are they like? Do they use mainly backgrounds and still images to tell the story? Are there sprites at all? I'm tempted to start a project, but before that I want to do more research to see if it's the way to go.
Narcissu, definitely.

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#15 Post by Rossfellow »

Speaking up for those too ashamed to admit having played it: Saya no Uta.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair