Top examples of Kinectic vn?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Hae Young

Re: Top examples of Kinectic vn?

#16 Post by Hae Young »

I loved True Remembrance, even though I generally dislike KNs. The characters were really well written I think. Narcissu was good, but I couldn't get myself to finish it a second time. But as the others suggested, you might want to check it out anyway.
Rossfellow wrote:Speaking up for those too ashamed to admit having played it: Saya no Uta.
Saya no Uta has choices and different endings though, so it's not really a KN... ^^;

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#17 Post by Donmai »

Hae Young wrote:Saya no Uta has choices and different endings though, so it's not really a KN... ^^;
A Kinectic Visual Novel can have choices and (slightly) different endings. My own Li'l Red is a humble example of that. Nothing prevents you from including gameplay on a KN. Choices can be used to make the player see the story from different angles (say, showing the facts through the eyes of different characters), or revealing some hidden details, or giving a new meaning to the story's ending (if the story has only one ending). Well, that's how I see it, and that's how I try to do it, sometimes.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#18 Post by trooper6 »

Donmai wrote:
Hae Young wrote:Saya no Uta has choices and different endings though, so it's not really a KN... ^^;
A Kinectic Visual Novel can have choices and (slightly) different endings. My own Li'l Red is a humble example of that. Nothing prevents you from including gameplay on a KN. Choices can be used to make the player see the story from different angles (say, showing the facts through the eyes of different characters), or revealing some hidden details, or giving a new meaning to the story's ending (if the story has only one ending). Well, that's how I see it, and that's how I try to do it, sometimes.
If Kinetic Novels can have choices, gameplay, new meanings to one ending...or multiple endings...then all VNs are KNs and there is no distinction between the two...but people understand the genres to be different.

I always understood Kinetic Novels to have no gameplay or choices.
TV Tropes says of KNs: "A sub-category of Visual Novels that avert the tradition of having Multiple Endings and instead focusing on a singular, linear plot. There are no choices whatsoever, nor is there any form of interactivity involved. In other words, it's basically a Short Story accompanied by visuals and audio. Originally used to describe certain visual novels by Key/Visual Arts (notably Planetarian), it has since then been used to encompass other visual novels."
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KineticNovel

anime.stackexchange had a similar definition:
"A Kinetic Novel is a type of visual novel without any gameplay at all. That includes things like making decisions for the protagonist. Because of the lack of any player input, the story is entirely preset and the player just reads through it without any input. These are quite close to ordinary novels with added graphics, sound, and typically more focus on dialogue. Planetarian would be an example of such a game. Kinetic novels are usually shorter than other visual novels, though there are exceptions to this like Higurashi."
http://anime.stackexchange.com/question ... dating-sim
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#19 Post by Taleweaver »

Donmai wrote:A Kinectic Visual Novel can have choices and (slightly) different endings.
Even by this definition, Saya no Uta is no kinetic novel since the endings are hardly "slightly" different. In fact, they are diametral opposites.

I think I would consider a VN in which the only choice you have is the choice of perspective (through whose eyes do you experience the story) still a KN as - even though the paths may differ tremendously - they are still just different sides of the same picture.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#20 Post by Donmai »

Very good points, guys! I hope one day I will be able to fully understand what the heck I'm doing then... :lol:

BTW I never stated that Saya No Uta is a KN, it was someone else.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#21 Post by trooper6 »

Donmai wrote:Very good points, guys! I hope one day I will be able to fully understand what the heck I'm doing then... :lol:
Eh...as long as you keep doing what you're doing, I'll be happy. I really like your work...whatever it is labelled as!
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#22 Post by Morhighan »

I really enjoy the Robo-Tea: 1 Cup. It's a Kinetic Novel with choices.

It's cute as heck.

Spoiler:
It tricks you into thinking that you're making choices but in reality what you say doesn't matter so it's actually linear. :P

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#23 Post by wyverngem »

These are really nice examples. Thanks for the list.