Anyone else revamping their projects for 6.99.11?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sleepy
Regular
Projects: Camera Anima
Organization: EXP-resso Mutt
Tumblr: sleepy-does-games.tumblr.com
itch: https://expressomutt

Anyone else revamping their projects for 6.99.11?

#1 Post by Sleepy »

Updated to the latest version of Ren'Py recently and, while I'm psyched about things like built-in history system and revised GUI system (still need to finnick with some style stuff, though), it's been making me keenly aware of how outdated and cramped parts of my project is.

I built around 800x600, for ex, since I'd been told it was a safe bet but with the updates it basically requires me to change the GUI a lot to cramp it back down or just change to match the new default resolutions. On one hand, it's the concern of image stretch/redoing assets is a thing. On the other, switching to wide-screen's been helping with presentation, especially since we're using point-and-click gameplay.

Anyone else playing around with the update? If so, have you found yourselves switching things around due to it or are you keeping to the original/legacy set up?
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

Re: Anyone else revamping their projects for 6.99.11?

#2 Post by Divona »

I did port the project from the previous version to 6.99.11 when it was still in pre-released state because I want that new GUI. Luckily for me I didn't work on the GUI until later so it wasn't much of a hassle to update the project to the new version of Ren'Py. I have to say that I haven't make anything in 800x600 since around 2001. Most things already up to 1024x768 then on CRT monitor. It's really an out date resolution now.

Definitely have to re-read the documentation, with many changes on Ren'Py, though. :lol:
Completed:

Sleepy
Regular

#3 Post by Sleepy »

I figured out the resolution thing later but since Ren'py tended to have that as a default and I'd gotten into the habit of doing my backgrounds that way I just kinda kept doing it ^^'. I'm mostly just kicking myself for not doing it till now because damn it makes things look nicer, pain of switching everything to match it aside.

The documentation's pretty clear for the most part, though it's a bit jarring after being used to the old one. Some stuff is a lot more clear than others but I do like the use of default image files to switch things like buttons or sliders or even text boxes. I'm a bit disappointed I can't customize the history character name color, since the name color matches the textboxes more than the history background, but there's ways to work around it at least.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Sleepy wrote:I'm a bit disappointed I can't customize the history character name color
Delete screens.rpy, lines 914-916.

Code: Select all

## Take the color of the who text from the Character, if set.
                        if "color" in h.who_args:
                            text_color h.who_args["color"]
It'll then take the accent color, or you could set text_color to something else.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Sleepy
Regular

#5 Post by Sleepy »

Awesome, thanks! Missed that line.

I originally tried using a different code to change the history color but it wasn't working. This should fix that.
W.I.P.

Complete

Image Image

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gas »

I was doing a game with a large resolution already.

I hate how the GUI now get proposed, a total rewrite is needed if you want to get out of that "left sided menu" thing.
And I mean TOTAL.
It's too hardcoded, and create a taller difficulty wall for new users to hit (while not "propedeutical" at all. it doesn't teach you how to do your stuff, only style the same framework).

Also, there's a lotta little things I could question about (like automatic window show or quick menu on a layer instead of being used).

So, until a better release is done, I'll spent time to create a "fake legacy" theme to work with more freely, keeping new functions but not the structure.

Bad move since the old framework system, dropped by in favor of the screen language. I think this GUI thing will be dropped the same.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

akareed
Regular
Projects: Noted @ website

#7 Post by akareed »

As for the resolution, I used to always make my game in 720p but my assets were always larger than that.
The problem lied with the coding.

And as you all mentioned, the total revamp of the GUI coding system for 6.99.11 really mixed things up.
It was mentioned as an easier way to customize GUIs, but from the visual side mostly. Honestly, it was a huge turnoff for me at first since it took me quite a while to get used to Ren'Py.
With my limited amount of coding knowledge-- I'm still trying to get by and hope it can be coded well enough so that I wouldn't have to change any of the initial designs just because I can't code it in. ^^;
↓ check out gallery and projects I've worked on with fellow creators! ↓
Need some graphics for your game?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Note that all old GUI Stuff still works in 6.99.11. The new GUI is more for people in the middle - who want to customize, but don't want to learn screens and styles.

The one interesting thing might be calling gui.init, as that performs a style reset - which means you no longer have to fight against RoundRect to get the theme you want.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

akareed
Regular
Projects: Noted @ website

#9 Post by akareed »

PyTom wrote:Note that all old GUI Stuff still works in 6.99.11. The new GUI is more for people in the middle - who want to customize, but don't want to learn screens and styles.

The one interesting thing might be calling gui.init, as that performs a style reset - which means you no longer have to fight against RoundRect to get the theme you want.
Whoa! This clearly tells I haven't done enough reading in regards to the update. :oops:
Other than that, really excited to see how this update can open up more developers' potentials!
↓ check out gallery and projects I've worked on with fellow creators! ↓
Need some graphics for your game?