Looking for a general term to replace "daemon"?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: Looking for a general term to replace "daemon"?

#16 Post by Shinoki »

You could also make up a term and just use it. Coin your own phrase. You've made a fantasy world already anyways.

An example is: in the series Shakugan no Shana, these fantastical creatures/people--good and bad--from some magical realm called the Crimson Realm are called Denizens from the phrase denizens of the Crimson Realm (which literally means: inhabitants of the Crimson Realm).

Uh, I'm unfortunately not well-versed enough in fantastical creatures to give any decent advice, but...

Maybe: mutants...? (yea, unfortunately, it kind of has a bad connotation.)

(I think spirits or some variation of the word--ie with something tacked on like: "divine spirits"-- is pretty good sounding)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#17 Post by fleet »

Thought of another one: Pooka (also spelled Puca)

In the movie, stageplay, and tv movie "Harvey" the invisible rabbit was a pooka.

More information about pooka is at http://www.yourirish.com/folklore/irish-pookas
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#18 Post by Ghost #9 »

Shinoki wrote:You could also make up a term and just use it. Coin your own phrase. You've made a fantasy world already anyways.

An example is: in the series Shakugan no Shana, these fantastical creatures/people--good and bad--from some magical realm called the Crimson Realm are called Denizens from the phrase denizens of the Crimson Realm (which literally means: inhabitants of the Crimson Realm).

Uh, I'm unfortunately not well-versed enough in fantastical creatures to give any decent advice, but...

Maybe: mutants...? (yea, unfortunately, it kind of has a bad connotation.)

(I think spirits or some variation of the word--ie with something tacked on like: "divine spirits"-- is pretty good sounding)
Thank you for your contributions!

Shakugan no Shana is a bit of an unusual example, since the term "denizen" is not unique to that anime. However, I'm actually not familiar with Shakugan no Shana. Perhaps the term "denizen" was applied in an unusual way?

Either way, I believe I understand your meaning! I've been considering developing a new term specifically for this game, though it still helps to have an idea of what's already out there.

"Mutant" actually doesn't have negative connotations in my mind. I would be incredibly disappointed NOT to be a mutant in the X-Men world! And there are some interesting and completely benign mutations even here on regular Earth. "Mutant" does, however, imply an individual that displays genetic characteristics not generally found within their species.

I'm still adding it to the list at the bottom of my opening post, though! Along with ____ Spirits.
fleet wrote:Thought of another one: Pooka (also spelled Puca)

In the movie, stageplay, and tv movie "Harvey" the invisible rabbit was a pooka.

More information about pooka is at http://www.yourirish.com/folklore/irish-pookas
That reminds me of the ol' kid's show, Pucca
...I'm not sure I've ever actually seen that show, beyond commercials.

The Pooka article was a fascinating read! This is another type of mythical being that I've never heard of, though it appears to be a specific creature (like a griffon or a mermaid) rather than a category.

Thank you again for your help!

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#19 Post by Caveat Lector »

Oh! I didn't see that. I thought it led to the right link? Ah well: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6411 ... -hauntings
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#21 Post by Ghost #9 »

Caveat Lector wrote:Oh! I didn't see that. I thought it led to the right link? Ah well: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6411 ... -hauntings
Yes, that link works perfectly! Thank you for re-posting. :D
Does this book describe various paranormal experiences specifically related to ghosts? Or does it reference different kinds of supernatural entities as well?
WilliamofBangor wrote:Tricksters - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trickster
Ah! The classic trickster. Always fun to work with AND read about! Not to mention, the term can be used to describe any number of different kinds of beings. My understanding of "trickster", though, is specifically a being that cannot be fully trusted. Whether playful or malicious, they use their knowledge and cunning to play "tricks" on others. Wikipedia describes further that they might also just behave outside of societal norms, disrupting and re-establishing what's considered "normal" by their own terms. This wouldn't precisely be accurate to describe all of the characters within my game.

I do still like the term and the archetype, though. It shall be added to the list!

PAldous
Soundcloud: Philip Aldous

#22 Post by PAldous »

Norse Mythology has a bunch of names you could use. Most are pretty tricky to pronounce though, but they're very underused.

- A dís ("lady", plural dísir) is a ghost, spirit or deity associated with fate who can be both benevolent and antagonistic towards mortal people.
- A fylgja (plural fylgjur) is a spirit who accompanies a person in connection to their fate or fortune.
- A hamingja is the personification of the good fortune or luck of an individual or family.

If you'd like something a little easier to pronounce, the Japanese Shinto religion has a good option. Dragonball Z fans may recognise this one ;)

The Kami (Japanese: 神?) [káꜜmì]) are the spirits or phenomena that are worshiped in the religion of Shinto. They can be elements of the landscape, forces of nature, as well as beings and the qualities that these beings express, and include the spirits of venerated dead persons.

Hope that helps :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#23 Post by Taleweaver »

PAldous wrote:The Kami (Japanese: 神?) [káꜜmì]) are the spirits or phenomena that are worshiped in the religion of Shinto. They can be elements of the landscape, forces of nature, as well as beings and the qualities that these beings express, and include the spirits of venerated dead persons.
"Kami" is a term somewhere between "spirit" and "god", not necessarily "demon".

The Japanese term for "demon" would be "oni", though this one has strongly negative connotations. There's also the "yokai", which is a more generic "supernatural entity" that can be benevolent or malevolent. All three terms are so inherently Japanese that I wouldn't call them "a generally good replacement for the word daemon".
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira