A Massive, Collaborative Visual Novel-- with a twist!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
pinqo
Regular
Projects: secret Σ(ノ°▽°)ノ
Tumblr: pinqo
Deviantart: pinqo

Re: A Massive, Collaborative Visual Novel-- with a twist!

#16 Post by pinqo »

yess! i can't wait! (although I can't dedicate all of the 1 week to art though > ~ < especially because i am doing inktober, so most of my time goes into the sketch). if we don't need art "write" (hehe) away, and can wait until november, then i can dedicate more time to it!! and make more characters! c:

wahhh-- thank you so much for taking this and going with it, divona!!

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#17 Post by TheJerminator15 »

Sorry, just saw the extra replies on the post. I'd be fine to write up the first part, as long as we can quickly iron out a premise and general length for the part you want me to do. I will say beforehand though that I cannot promise any extra help writing-wise afterwards though since I am also busy with college work.

EDIT: As a quick premise idea, what about using the same premise as the anime Rec? An average disgruntled salaryman encounters a college student pursuing her dreams as a voice actress and a situation forces them to move in together? That way every new chapter by a team could just be another day in the life for them and their adventures that day and as they slower get closer and closer.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#18 Post by Divona »

pinqo wrote:wahhh-- thank you so much for taking this and going with it, divona!!
I just don't want to see this thread get locked without actually produced anything. There had been many similar thread like this come and goes in the past months, and then faded away without moving away from idea phase. Now I actually want to see if it's possible. :wink: (honestly, I actually want to have more time organizing, but a deal is a deal).
TheJerminator15 wrote:Sorry, just saw the extra replies on the post. I'd be fine to write up the first part, as long as we can quickly iron out a premise and general length for the part you want me to do. I will say beforehand though that I cannot promise any extra help writing-wise afterwards though since I am also busy with college work.

EDIT: As a quick premise idea, what about using the same premise as the anime Rec? An average disgruntled salaryman encounters a college student pursuing her dreams as a voice actress and a situation forces them to move in together? That way every new chapter by a team could just be another day in the life for them and their adventures that day and as they slower get closer and closer.
Thanks for doing this. I wouldn't be worry much about what will come after the first chapter. It is the randomness of it that what making this interesting. You never know of which direction the story will heading to, or how fast the plot would escalating to the point where the alien attacks, discover of alternate universes, gender swap, all introduced characters get kill off and all new casts are introduced. Anything goes... :lol:

Whatever story or premise you come up with, we'll go with it. 8) We could pretty much goes from what you've described (same as Rec). It doesn't matter on what length it will be either, as long as you're happy with the result as a writer, and it's done in time for the deadline.

Do you have a date of when the script will be done by? Would it be possible to have it by 18-19 Oct?

Please bear in mind about the art that need to be done as well. Keep the number of the characters low, as well as locations. Preferably 2-3 characters max, would that work for you @pinqo?
Completed:

TheJerminator15
Regular

#19 Post by TheJerminator15 »

Ah OK, I'll start writing it now then. I'll write up the situation which leads to them living together and the morning after. After that you can go wild!

I should be able to have it done by the 18th, however I'd rather say that it will be finished by the 20th just to be on the safe side.
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

pinqo
Regular

#20 Post by pinqo »

WHOOO!! THIS IS AWESOME!! + 0 + omg, we're actually getting started!! thank you, jerminator and divona for taking the first step with this. c:

If you guys can give me a list of characters (3-ish would be best), that would be fantastic. for background art-- ahhh, i don't have much experience with it. >_< if you don't mind some sketchy backgrounds not colored (kind of like Amnesia visual novel), then i can do those! (oh, and expressions - i can do like 4 or 5 for each character;; poses... maybe 2 at max >_< sorry )

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Divona »

pinqo wrote:WHOOO!! THIS IS AWESOME!! + 0 + omg, we're actually getting started!! thank you, jerminator and divona for taking the first step with this. c:

If you guys can give me a list of characters (3-ish would be best), that would be fantastic. for background art-- ahhh, i don't have much experience with it. >_< if you don't mind some sketchy backgrounds not colored (kind of like Amnesia visual novel), then i can do those! (oh, and expressions - i can do like 4 or 5 for each character;; poses... maybe 2 at max >_< sorry )
For the background art, if you're not comfortable with it and don't mind using someone else work then there are plenty of creative common work to choose from.

It seem like 21-23 Oct would be the date of when you will working on the character arts. During that time, I will help put the script into Ren'Py with placeholder. It would be earlier if the story script is done before 20 Oct. There is a chance to have it all done by 24-25 Oct following this schedule.

I currently have stock sounds on hand, with BGM side would likely to come from other creative common sources. Unless if there is any composer interesting in leading a hand and a weekend composing. :lol:

Also, anyone else want to pick the first bit of the project up and continue on the work?
edel will be writing the next part, I believe.
Completed:

TheJerminator15
Regular

#22 Post by TheJerminator15 »

There's four characters in the story for what I've written so far, but because the protagonist could easily be faceless like in many other VNs (which would also help given the randomness we're trying to achieve with each new input) so only three characters actually need drawing. Two are college student age girls who you can design hwever you want. The other is a 29 year old guy, but in the story I've described him as Western so he'll probably need blonde hair.

I don't mean to tell you how to design haha. If you want to design him differently i can just rewrite that part later.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#23 Post by Zelan »

"Western" doesn't have to mean blonde. He could also be a brunette or even a redhead. Black hair may be a little less common but it isn't impossible.

Maybe he's even dyed his hair some crazy color, who knows?

pinqo
Regular

#24 Post by pinqo »

Divona wrote:
pinqo wrote:WHOOO!! THIS IS AWESOME!! + 0 + omg, we're actually getting started!! thank you, jerminator and divona for taking the first step with this. c:

For the background art, if you're not comfortable with it and don't mind using someone else work then there are plenty of creative common work to choose from.

It seem like 21-23 Oct would be the date of when you will working on the character arts. During that time, I will help put the script into Ren'Py with placeholder. It would be earlier if the story script is done before 20 Oct. There is a chance to have it all done by 24-25 Oct following this schedule.

I currently have stock sounds on hand, with BGM side would likely to come from other creative common sources. Unless if there is any composer interesting in leading a hand and a weekend composing. :lol:

Also, anyone else want to pick the first bit of the project up and continue on the work?
edel will be writing the next part, I believe.
great!! then i shall wait for the 3-4 characters from TheJerminator to know more about their background/personality/history so i can design them to fit their part more. c:

Kinsman
Regular

#25 Post by Kinsman »

Hi, could I be added to the list?

There used to be some old websites I visited, "Impromanga" and "Improfanfic", that artists signed up for pretty much what's being described here. I'd love a chance to do this for a VN.

I'm probably better as a writer/programmer, but I know enough about art that I wouldn't make a mess.

Where should the source files for the project be hosted? There's a number of services: github, sourceforge, Google Drive..

Also, when it comes to sprites and backgrounds, will the source files be included in the project, or just the final art?
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Divona »

Kinsman wrote:Hi, could I be added to the list?
Absolutely. The next team will have to pick up and continue the work a week after the first team has completed their work. Current deadline for the first team is 25 Oct.

If you will not be available by then, would you be able to help out with Team One with the art or even coding?

Team Two

Writer: edel
Artist: Kinsman (?)

Still looking for coder and a team leader for Team Two.
Kinsman wrote:Where should the source files for the project be hosted? There's a number of services: github, sourceforge, Google Drive..
I was thinking of Github, but since it's one team at a time continue the work of visual novel in their own image thing, any cloud storage would be just fine to hand down the source to the next team.
Kinsman wrote:Also, when it comes to sprites and backgrounds, will the source files be included in the project, or just the final art?
This is an open development project, all source code, images, sounds, music, and everything will be open and hand down to the next team.
Completed:

Kinsman
Regular

#27 Post by Kinsman »

Thanks, Divona.

I can handle coding for Team Two if nobody else shows up, and I don't mind being asked to do things for Team One.

I'd recommend Google Drive for hosting the project, since we don't really need fancy features like version history or forking, and using Drive is less technical.
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread

кролик девушка

#28 Post by кролик девушка »

if ok i can help with music? i know LMMS

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Divona »

кролик девушка wrote:if ok i can help with music? i know LMMS
Sure thing! If everything going according to schedule, the story script from TheJerminator15 should be ready sometime in the middle of next week, so once that available you could give it a read and start making some music. :D
Kinsman wrote:I can handle coding for Team Two if nobody else shows up, and I don't mind being asked to do things for Team One.
Thanks, Kinsman. This should help the project moving on without much downtime once the first chapter is done. I recommend to choose either doing art or coding, though. One week can be rather tight if not doing these two at the same time. I won't stop you, however. :lol:

Seem like I'm fine helping out with coding next week, but if something went horribly wrong with the main project I'm working on then I might have to start calling for help. :wink:

Team One

Writer: TheJerminator15
Artist: pinqo
Composer: кролик девушка
Coder: Divona

Team Two

Writer: edel
Artist/Coder: Kinsman
Completed:

TheJerminator15
Regular

#30 Post by TheJerminator15 »

Sorry about being silent, I've been busier than expected with college work. I've put aside some time tomorrow and Wednesday to finish the writing but it's going to be shorter than I imagined. I'll provide a Google Drive link by the end of Thursday if that's Ok with you all?