Creating Assets for multiple platforms

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Message
Author
User avatar
firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 pm
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Skype: bigattck firecat
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#16 Post by firecat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:40 am

Rossfellow wrote:I'm going to go ahead and rename this thread "OP does research and muses publicly as they answer their own questions." :lol:
[RESOLUTION]Currently I'm thinking of creating the assets into the maximum supported resolution (2560x1440) and downscaling from there when needed. What do you guys think?
Yes, this is the way to go. Though you ought to try to make the filesize as small as possible without compromising image quality, especially if you plan to port to mobile. Mobile doesn't handle big image files as well as PCs do. Here's a neat thread about some possibilities. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40277

Keep in mind that different platforms might have different ratios, too. The standard for PC is usually something like 4:3, but something like a Vita would have 16:9, so if you plan to port to Vita(just an example), you'll have to cut something from the image or else it gets badly stretched.
[CONTENT] I'm planning on creating 2 different versions of the game. An adult rated version which will be available for PC and MAC and a more casual version for smartphones and tablets. This is mostly due to the quite strict content rules on the App store and Google Play. What do you think about this idea and have any of you done something like this before?
This is just an opinion, but if you plan to make an adult game with sexual themes you should go full throttle with it. Don't water your game down for the benefit of people who won't be interested in it to begin with. And, currently, as it stands, the only mobile platform that is lenient towards adult content is Android.

But if you want to go the flexible route for your main platforms, Saya no Uta provides a neat way to go about it. Make it a disclaimer at the very beginning of the game, and/or put them in the options.
Image
[OPTIMIZING] Since the game is going to be multiplatform I'm planning on customizing the different game builds to ensure the best gameplay quality possible. How do you go about this process? I've often worked with Unity3d and it's easy to anchor UIs and scale graphics, but in another engine the worst case scenario is possibly having to do everything by hand.
While it's a smart choice to make a multi-platform game under the constraints of the weakest hardware among your chosen platforms (less time porting and recoding), there are good examples of game ports that are significantly simplified for optimal running. The first thing that comes to mind is Persona 3 for the PS2 being ported to the PSP. The ported game had a completely revised UI and transitioned from roaming RPG to a point-and-click. It's possible, but you'll have to put some effort into it.

VNs in particular have a very easy ride when being ported into mobile platforms because all you really need to do is downscale images (unless you have one of those super fancy UIs) and adjust the ratio. The problem after that is the filesize constraint. It's generally not a good idea to go over 1.5GB(this is generous) for a visual novel, especially if it doesn't have voices and movie files.

Lastly, Steam has entire libraries of violent and/or sexual video games. VNs are not exempt from this, nor should they be.
firecat wrote:I wish I could tell you about the legal issues but users here will go nuts defending Steam's user agreement and will mislead you into believing it's safe to sign a contract with Valve.
Publishing in Steam is both fair and safe. You just don't like it.
firecat wrote:will mislead you
Please, elaborate. Citation would be appreciated as well. Maybe you'll be able to convince OP if they saw you make your case.
if its so safe why would google threaten to shame it, you really need to stay up to date with tech news. also you my stalker are one reason i keep getting banned for telling the truth. everywhere i post you will post afterwards with another person to help you, then ask a mod to banned me once again. really you do even care about finding answers to protecting yourself from legal trouble. if not leave innocent people out of this.
Image


Image


special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

User avatar
RotGtIE
Veteran
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:33 am
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#17 Post by RotGtIE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:08 pm

firecat wrote:everywhere i post you will post afterwards with another person to help you, then ask a mod to banned me once again.
I'm pretty sure nobody asks to have you banned. If anything, the mods spoil our fun when they take you away from us.

User avatar
infel
Veteran
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#18 Post by infel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:30 pm

firecat wrote:
if its so safe why would google threaten to shame it, you really need to stay up to date with tech news. also you my stalker are one reason i keep getting banned for telling the truth. everywhere i post you will post afterwards with another person to help you, then ask a mod to banned me once again. really you do even care about finding answers to protecting yourself from legal trouble. if not leave innocent people out of this.

I'm sorry but this little statement is really immature. Rossfellow isn't stalking you nor is she trying to get you banned. She's giving answers to the questions that people ask. She may believe your information is wrong, like with steam, and tries to inform others so they don't get the wrong idea. Honestly it's up to the op to decide who they will listen too in the end. But to say she is stalking you and trying to get you banned is honestly just a stupid thing to say. No one wants you banned. People read what you say and then decide if they will agree with you. The time you got banned was because you were saying some rude things to certain people, it wasn't anyone's fault but your own.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

Image
A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

User avatar
firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 pm
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Skype: bigattck firecat
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#19 Post by firecat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:22 pm

infel wrote:
firecat wrote:
if its so safe why would google threaten to shame it, you really need to stay up to date with tech news. also you my stalker are one reason i keep getting banned for telling the truth. everywhere i post you will post afterwards with another person to help you, then ask a mod to banned me once again. really you do even care about finding answers to protecting yourself from legal trouble. if not leave innocent people out of this.

I'm sorry but this little statement is really immature. Rossfellow isn't stalking you nor is she trying to get you banned. She's giving answers to the questions that people ask. She may believe your information is wrong, like with steam, and tries to inform others so they don't get the wrong idea. Honestly it's up to the op to decide who they will listen too in the end. But to say she is stalking you and trying to get you banned is honestly just a stupid thing to say. No one wants you banned. People read what you say and then decide if they will agree with you. The time you got banned was because you were saying some rude things to certain people, it wasn't anyone's fault but your own.
no one was insulting no one, you view misleading information has insults and you trust Steam way more than anyone here. Also look at what is happening again! I am right, people are showing up and soon a mod will come here to banned me. Everything I typed is coming true because all of you are jerks who do not respect others! You whent off topic to insult me, you started this meaningless battle!
Image


Image


special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

User avatar
infel
Veteran
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#20 Post by infel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:46 pm

firecat wrote:
infel wrote:
firecat wrote:
if its so safe why would google threaten to shame it, you really need to stay up to date with tech news. also you my stalker are one reason i keep getting banned for telling the truth. everywhere i post you will post afterwards with another person to help you, then ask a mod to banned me once again. really you do even care about finding answers to protecting yourself from legal trouble. if not leave innocent people out of this.

I'm sorry but this little statement is really immature. Rossfellow isn't stalking you nor is she trying to get you banned. She's giving answers to the questions that people ask. She may believe your information is wrong, like with steam, and tries to inform others so they don't get the wrong idea. Honestly it's up to the op to decide who they will listen too in the end. But to say she is stalking you and trying to get you banned is honestly just a stupid thing to say. No one wants you banned. People read what you say and then decide if they will agree with you. The time you got banned was because you were saying some rude things to certain people, it wasn't anyone's fault but your own.
no one was insulting no one, you view misleading information has insults and you trust Steam way more than anyone here. Also look at what is happening again! I am right, people are showing up and soon a mod will come here to banned me. Everything I typed is coming true because all of you are jerks who do not respect others! You whent off topic to insult me, you started this meaningless battle!
I'm not attacking you. I'm being honest. Your statement was really immature. You can believe whatever you want and give any advice you like. However getting upset at someone for disagreeing with you and then thinking they are out to get you is a little over the top. You got banned because you said some rude things to certain users, not because you had a different opinion. The problem is how you react to others who don't agree with you and how you answered to Rossfellow is a good example.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you and I don't want this thread to go off topic. My advice to you is be civil and not call everyone jerks as you did. That really makes you look bad. But in the end it's up to you how you're going to act.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

Image
A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

User avatar
firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:20 pm
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Skype: bigattck firecat
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#21 Post by firecat » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 pm

infel wrote:
firecat wrote:
infel wrote:
I'm sorry but this little statement is really immature. Rossfellow isn't stalking you nor is she trying to get you banned. She's giving answers to the questions that people ask. She may believe your information is wrong, like with steam, and tries to inform others so they don't get the wrong idea. Honestly it's up to the op to decide who they will listen too in the end. But to say she is stalking you and trying to get you banned is honestly just a stupid thing to say. No one wants you banned. People read what you say and then decide if they will agree with you. The time you got banned was because you were saying some rude things to certain people, it wasn't anyone's fault but your own.
no one was insulting no one, you view misleading information has insults and you trust Steam way more than anyone here. Also look at what is happening again! I am right, people are showing up and soon a mod will come here to banned me. Everything I typed is coming true because all of you are jerks who do not respect others! You whent off topic to insult me, you started this meaningless battle!
I'm not attacking you. I'm being honest. Your statement was really immature. You can believe whatever you want and give any advice you like. However getting upset at someone for disagreeing with you and then thinking they are out to get you is a little over the top. You got banned because you said some rude things to certain users, not because you had a different opinion. The problem is how you react to others who don't agree with you and how you answered to Rossfellow is a good example.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you and I don't want this thread to go off topic. My advice to you is be civil and not call everyone jerks as you did. That really makes you look bad. But in the end it's up to you how you're going to act.
there you go insulting me once again just to win at a grudge match. Rossfellow was clearly wrong, you only agree because you lack understanding in laws, human nature, and open mind. Also if you do know anything english, a jerk is the perfect word for you as clearly stated, you started this "obnoxious" statement in a perfectly good thread. While everyone else backed off and avoided conflict. The real immature person is none other than you for not accepting criticism, following Rossfellow is not how you become a better game developer.
Image


Image


special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

User avatar
Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1078
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:31 pm
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#22 Post by Rinima » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm just gonna say what I said last time.
Rinima wrote:Please, try not to feed the troll. You know who I'm talking about.
Lets keep this on topic people, I personally am actually rather interested in the original topic and would like to see it actively discussed rather that a massive steam attack, and I think the OP would probably prefer that as well. Lets keep this respectful and civil.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

User avatar
infel
Veteran
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:26 pm
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#23 Post by infel » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:01 pm

Rinima wrote:I'm just gonna say what I said last time.
Rinima wrote:Please, try not to feed the troll. You know who I'm talking about.
Lets keep this on topic people, I personally am actually rather interested in the original topic and would like to see it actively discussed rather that a massive steam attack, and I think the OP would probably prefer that as well. Lets keep this respectful and civil.

Yeah you're right. I'm not gonna even reply to their comment. Just proves my point to how immature they are But oh well. If they get banned again it's their own fault. Not getting into an argument. As for the OP, hope they find the answer they are looking for =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

Image
A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

User avatar
Rossfellow
Veteran
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#24 Post by Rossfellow » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Kogepan wrote:I've tried to read up on the Google Play content rules and they seem quite strict. They had a quiz-like system and when I went through the questions my game definitely fit the adult section. Is their content rules more for show or do they really check each game and adhere to strict rules? I would love to hear experiences from anyone who has published something a bit more mature on their store.
This is an article from last year, though I still haven't found a more recent article disputing it. It might be helpful. It seems that, while Android has restrictions of its own, its not as strict as the alternatives.

Edit: This silly avatar of mine has turned me into a "She", apparently. :P
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

User avatar
Kogepan
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 am
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#25 Post by Kogepan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:56 am

This is an article from last year, though I still haven't found a more recent article disputing it. It might be helpful. It seems that, while Android has restrictions of its own, its not as strict as the alternatives.
It's been a while since I've last used a discussion forum and I didn't notice that the replies continued to page 2 :D lol.

Thanks for the interesting article! This backs up what I was thinking previously, Apple is really tight and android less so. It's still really difficult to know if my game would be allowed on Google Play without modifications. There will be a bit of violence and sex, but nothing I personally would brand as gratuitous or pornographic. But I guess it's for the best to create a few versions of the game and see what happens when I actually try to submit the game.

User avatar
Kogepan
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 am
Contact:

Re: Creating Assets for multiple platforms

#26 Post by Kogepan » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:58 am

infel wrote:As for the OP, hope they find the answer they are looking for =).
Everyone has been super helpful, thanks! :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]