A multiplayer visual novel/dating sim

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Beautiful Glitch
Regular
Projects: Monster Prom: http://monsterprom.pizza
Tumblr: indiegzine

A multiplayer visual novel/dating sim

#1 Post by Beautiful Glitch »

I started this topic on Fuwanovel and the discussion it has created is so interesting that I really want to see more points of view about it. I hope this is not an issue (:
We asked something and it triggered a discussion I want to explore further

Here's the original question:

So... we're working on a project that is a local multiplayer visual novel/dating sim. We liked the concept because it sounded very innovative to us. We tried to study other similar projects but we failed to find other multiplayer visual novels/dating sims.
Since here is full of experts on the matter, we hoped we can ask you for cool references on multiplayer visual novels/dating sims. Can you tell us, please? (:

Thanks a lot!

P.S.: the project in question is Monster Prom. Our site is http://monsterprom.pizza

Buuuuut this also started a discussion about viability and specifics of a local multiplayer visual novel. Some people has tagged it of inviable or counter-intuitive. I absolutely understand their point, but it's tied to the matter of a local multiplayer VN needing to be disruptive in other classic VN traits to assure it works right and that it is fun. Main issue is that it basically offers a whole different experience, which is not necessarily bad. But still, it was super-interesting to discover the opinions from people more much used to VN than me.

The only reference of a local multiplayer videogame that also uses a lot of traits of visual novels and interactive narratives is The Yawhg

So... what do you think?

And once again: do you know visual novels (or games with lots of traits from VNs) that can be played by more than 1 player?

Thanks (:

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Re: A multiplayer visual novel/dating sim

#2 Post by Katta »

Heh, I first thought of multiplayer in a more traditional way (MMO) and wondered how it could be implemented into a VN) But since you mentioned The Yawhg I think I understand what you meant. I liked The Yawhg but multiple characters weren't a benefit for me. I don't think I've seen other story-based games where you play different characters at the same time (not skipping POVs or choosing 1 of several possible protags in the beginning) but if it had longer story/more text=I got more involved with some of the characters, other characters'd be more of a bother breaking the story I want to read. But I love backgrounds (the past you can choose for your MC that will somehow influence the general flow of events in the story)
(oh, I finally got why you called it multiplayer at all - it's like hot seat multiplayer. Is anyone really still doing it?)

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#3 Post by Divona »

Example that came up right away from my head would be Star Wars: The Old Republic. Their dialogue scene, when have a full party with friends, it's pretty much a multiplayers visual novel.

When in dialogue scene with choices, each party member get to choose what they want to say/response to the NPC. Once all the choices are selected or timer is ended, the game will make a roll of dice for each player behind the scene. Those who has the highest random number would be the one who success in having their character saying the choice of dialogue they selected.

There also Telltale's Batman, but I never actually try that one.
http://www.pcgamer.com/telltales-batman ... -not-2000/
Instead, between four and 12 players can huddle round the same screen and directly vote on game choices using their own devices, in turn “tailoring the story" as they play together.
Completed:

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Beautiful Glitch wrote:... we're working on a project that is a local multiplayer visual novel/dating sim. We liked the concept because it sounded very innovative to us.
This is relevant to my interest, because of personal reasons:
One of the reasons that I liked video games in the 1990s was local multiplayer. I liked having a shared experience in the same room, though sometimes it was frustrating. For what it's worth, this is why I got into board game meetup groups in the recent past.
Beautiful Glitch wrote: ...we hoped we can ask you for cool references on multiplayer visual novels/dating sims. Can you tell us, please?
If you look at the VNDB entry for Taisen Renai Simulation, then all you will learn is that it was a PS1 exclusive with fast mini-games. The only reason why I know anything about this untranslated game is because I spent some time browsing the Playstation Datacenter. (To find the entry on Taisen Renai Simulation there, first click on "Enter the PSX Datacenter," then click on the "NTSC-J" link in the Games Lists row, then click on the alphabet letter T. The reason why I say this is because the direct link does not often work.) According to the PS Datacenter, this is a two-player title in which "...the player [has] to compete [against] other characters to win the affection of their friends. Depending of the conversation choices or if he wins the mini games the love meter will increase or decrease with each character."

Sentou Gakuen is a freeware VN / MMO hybrid. It was first launched five years ago, and it looks like the group's trying to bring it to Steam. I don't know much about it.

I learned about 80 Days today. It's a story-driven game / VN about characters competing to circumnavigate the world.

I knew nothing about Network Netoraru Kare Machi Kanojo before today. It seems to be an abstract story involving nameable characters, simulation gameplay, and adult content.

If you're thinking "I want to tell my story as a multiplayer experience," then you might benefit by doing some research about roleplaying games. I say this as a person who enjoyed pen-and-paper RPGs between the '90s and the early 2000s. Traditionally, one person is the gamemaster who presents players with a fictional world. The players choose how their characters will act.
Beautiful Glitch wrote: The only reference of a local multiplayer videogame that also uses a lot of traits of visual novels and interactive narratives is The Yawhg...
I stumbled across it a while ago when searching the Steam store for "visual novel." I haven't tried it.
For what it's worth, I've only purchased two titles on Steam. It has been months since I last logged in.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#5 Post by Morhighan »

I'm interested in this as well. I'm also really into local multiplayer as well as online multiplayer.
I was thinking it would be interesting to do one of those...facebook/social games but with a visual novel focus. Not sure how I'd do it, though.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#6 Post by xavimat »

Three years later, there are any new ideas on this? I'm interested.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#7 Post by parttimestorier »

xavimat wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:05 am Three years later, there are any new ideas on this? I'm interested.
Yes, I believe the OP of this thread is one of the developers of Monster Prom, a multiplayer VN that came out last year and is an absolute joy to play with friends. They also have a more recent DLC for it that I've been meaning to pick up.
ImageImageImage