"New GUI Interface" Worth it?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mahoop
Regular

"New GUI Interface" Worth it?

#1 Post by mahoop »

I'm in the middle of a project, but I started before this last update I made which gave me the possibility to start a new project with "New GUI Interface" or "Legacy Theme Interface"

There is any difference between them, talking about quality/performance? OR its just for convenience?

*Since it will probably create a new folder with updated [options,screens,art].rpy, I would like to know if they are different somehow.

Valhalla
Regular

Re: "New GUI Interface" Worth it?

#2 Post by Valhalla »

No difference in performance. It pretty much just provides a nicer standard GUI from the get go. If you've already created a GUI for the game and customized it to the way you want their is no point in changing over. If you want a nice newer GUI to start modelling your GUI from... then change over.
Image Image Image

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#3 Post by ketskari »

The old history log code interferes with self-voicing (causing it to repeat itself, especially in nvl mode), so I went and updated my project to use the new GUI while keeping the majority of the old assets. I had a few other problems with my old GUI that made it worth it, as well. If you have no issues particularly with your current GUI, I would leave it.

However, for someone starting from scratch, I think developing with the new GUI is better because you can easily test out color schemes, font choices, etc, before settling on a design direction--even if the goal is to completely alter the layout in the end.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#4 Post by wyverngem »

The new GUI comes with variants that are already scripted for you for smaller screens or types, so it's a little more mobile friendly. It's really cool. Also being renpy it's still really easy to customize so you can take away menus and add them fairly easily. I really like the new GUI compared to the older one. Creating a customized game icon is easier and there is now a in-game help menu that has variants for keyboard and mouse. There are more options for the gui that are built in and you don't have to go hunting the forms as much to customize the main menu.