Creating A VN YOU want! (Questions/suggestions thread)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PencilSlothCreations
Regular
Projects: Datematsu (Short Osomatsu-san VN)
Organization: Pencil Sloth Creations
Tumblr: pencilslothcreations

Creating A VN YOU want! (Questions/suggestions thread)

#1 Post by PencilSlothCreations »

Hi there! Thank you for taking an interest in this post!
I'm a very new dev who has so many ideas in mind for many different Ren'Py games. However, I'm really unsure what I should start off with and what clichés I should probably avoid. I know there have been tons upon tons of different stories already created, so I wanted some feedback on what YOU guys want to see! So here are some questions for you:

What about VNs interests you? (Art, story, immersive ability)
What character tropes/stereotypes do you see too much of?
What character tropes/stereotypes do you not see enough of?
Do you prefer having a bisexual PC (Player character) over a heterosexual one?
Do you like being able to name the PC?
Would you like being able to give a bachelor/bachelorette a nickname?
Are you interested in cheat codes?
Do you like having a CG/Sprite gallery?
What setting type do you see too much of? (Fantasy, supernatural, etc.)
What setting type do you not see enough of?

You don't have to answer all of these questions! Just ones you're interested in answering is fine. :) If you have any other comments regarding things you'd like to see in a VN or have any statements that may help--please comment below! Thank you!

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

Re: Creating A VN YOU want! (Questions/suggestions thread)

#2 Post by TheJerminator15 »

First off, you seem to under the impression that cliches need to be avoided. They don't need to be avoided, after all cliches are used so much because they're typically quite good. It just depends on whether your story heavily relies on cliches or just has them in. Heavily relying on them is naturally bad, but going out of your way t avoid them can be just as bad as well.

I don't know about others, but for me story mainly interests me. Nice art really helps, but I'm going to be spending most of my time reading a story, so I expect it to be somewhat worth my time.

I don't really have a singular character trope I see too much. For me it's mainly the fact that a lot of stories just keep these characters as said tropes without attempting to properly characterise them. For example you could have a cliche tsundere, but in many story examples all that's given is a bit of backstory and then nothing else, keeping the character as a cut and paste stereotype. If you portray a character well, even tropey ones, then that's all that really interests me.

I don't really see too little of a trope in my opinion, I mean the point of a trope is that they are regularly used.

As long as the actual character is good, I couldn't care less personally about their sexuality. It affects me in no way, what I'm interested in is the character not what partners they prefer.

I personally prefer characters that are not nameable. In personal experience characters that require naming are more akin to self-inserts where you can craft the personality yourself and make the choices you want. I prefer named characters in that regard, as straight off the bat they feel less like self inserts to me.

Sure, I wouldn't mind giving them nicknames.

Cheat codes in purely choice based VNs I see little point in, however cheat codes in VNs with gameplay I wouldn't mind at all. it's been a good while since I've played a game with cheat codes.

Of course I do! I like to look at the artwork in galleries every now and then.

Fantasy is definitely overused (ironic since my project is also fantasy) but I'm not particularly bored of it.

Maybe crime thrillers or mystery is what I see little of? The last murder mystery story I experienced was Erased, and it put me off them for a few months for obvious reasons haha.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

First, please keep in mind that "poll-like threads" are discouraged in the forum rules.
PencilSlothCreations wrote:However, I'm really unsure what I should start off with and what clichés I should probably avoid.
I think that you'll benefit by reading the TVTropes article So You Want to be Original.

A brief thought on tropes versus cliches:
A trope: just a device used in telling a story or creating gameplay. Not necessarily good or bad.

A cliche: a device which has lost its power through frequent use. If it appears in a story and the audience groans, then it's likely a cliche. I think that it's subjective, and that the term should not be used unless a person can cite several examples of stories which use it.

PencilSlothCreations wrote:What about VNs interests you? (Art, story, immersive ability)
Reading a story, and having some input in how it will end. While visual novels can include complex gameplay, they do not often require the reader to learn gaming mechanics.
PencilSlothCreations wrote:Do you prefer having a bisexual PC (Player character) over a heterosexual one?
If it fits your story, then go ahead.

I think that it's admirable to have a variety of characters in a story. However, please make sure that the characters do not just embody stereotypes.
PencilSlothCreations wrote:Do you like being able to name the PC?
I think this can work if the protagonist is a blank slate, or if the reader is expected to define the character's attributes through making specific decisions. The Visual Novel Database tag for this is called "Nameable Protagonist."
PencilSlothCreations wrote:Would you like being able to give a bachelor/bachelorette a nickname?
If you believe this would be an entertaining addition to your story, then include it. The VNDB has two tags for this: "Nameable Hero(es)" and "Nameable Heroine(s)."
PencilSlothCreations wrote:Are you interested in cheat codes?
If you want to include complex gameplay, but you also want to give players a way to reduce its difficulty, then this might also be an amusing addition. Once again, there's a VNDB tag for this.
I remember seeing cheat codes in browser-based romance games during the mid-2000s. At the time, I thought that including cheat codes was a design throwback to 16-bit console games.
PencilSlothCreations wrote:What setting type do you see too much of? (Fantasy, supernatural, etc.)
There are quite a few VNs which include an academic setting and two or more love interests. If you want to create a story with these two elements, then feel free. You can use familiar elements to tell a story which affects people, and/or which seems creative. Think about how you want to present your setting. What's different or notable about it? What sort of message do you want to convey by presenting it?

Just about any kind of story can be told through a visual novel format. I want to encourage you to consider the kind of story that you want to create. Therefore, think about art and pop culture media which you have enjoyed. Also think about ones which let you down, or which you did not enjoy. Create lists detailing specific things that you liked or disliked. Don't limit yourself to one format -- write down your thoughts on prose fiction, board games, movies, theatrical plays, or anything else. Then use at least some of those ideas as influences for your story.

One last thought: consider places where you have lived. Then write a story based on those locations. If the places you've experienced seem boring, then ask yourself if your characters will also find them boring. If you want to add elements such as horror, sci-fi, or fantasy to your setting, then feel free.

PencilSlothCreations
Regular
Projects: Datematsu (Short Osomatsu-san VN)
Organization: Pencil Sloth Creations
Tumblr: pencilslothcreations

#4 Post by PencilSlothCreations »

@TheJerminator15 Thank you for the information! I'm sorry if my questions weren't quite as well voiced as I had hoped. Yes clichés aren't necessarily bad and avoiding them could cause a damper on certain story situations, I meant it for the widely used and overly abundant storylines that some stories will fall onto. Such as being the "chosen individual". Although now that I think about it more thoroughly, there are ways of making certain clichés interesting and unique, so thank you for showing me that. The reason I ask about gender preference is merely asking "Would you like to be able to choose either a boy or girl to woo?" Kind of thing. I've seen a few stories with both male and female characters to romance, and I've also seen a few where the same-sex can only be friended. So I was just curious as to if certain users would like that option, or if it would be weird to accidentally romance a female character and have them make certain comments to you when the player isn't really comfortable with it.

@gekiganwing thank you for reading! Forgive me, I have read that in the forum rules, however I did not take my questions as being a poll-like thread. I can see now how it feels that way. To me this is more of an idea brew, but of not one specific idea and rather just curiosity on my part. I agree with all of your answers and I thank you for putting the time to answer them! However, the kind of VN I want to do is a VN that is unique and hasn't been done before. I already have a few ideas in mind myself, along with character designs and plots, but I wanted to use this thread as some guidance to how I will structure things. The concepts are there, the stories are there, I just would like to have some little extra things to consider whilst forming my plans. But all in all I understand what you mean and thank you again for reading!

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#5 Post by Hijiri »

Personally, I think you should just get your ideas onto small pieces of paper, throw them up in the air, and the first three you grab should tell you where to go. Much easier than trying to cater to an infinite number of tastes.
But eh, I'll humor you.
Music, mostly. It says something when my current project has around 50 music tracks. All of which play at least twice. Though I do have a bias for audio since my first VN's were Narcissu and Higurashi. (BOth of which qualify as sound novels)
Dating sims trying to pass as complex stories. Also, the 'odd, quirky, and special' main heroine in otome games, which is just as much a plague as the average everyguy MC in bishoujo games.
Religious characters, and stories not taking place in either the US or Japan.
Depends on the character. If your MC was made with the idea that they would court either sex, then gimme. But if you've made a character that is straight and shows no interest in the same sex whatsoever except for the token BL/GL route, the for the love of god, let them be straight. Hell, turn that route into a friendship route if you absolutely have to include it just so there's some variety.
Unless I'm playing an RPG, no. My reasons being that:
A)It takes away some agency from the MC
B)I'm literally going to spend an hour trying to pick a good name.
If you give me the option of selecting some, sure. If I have to type them in, then god help you because I will meme all over your game and I will turn the most heartbreaking moments into comedy.
Again, unless it's an actual game I have need for something like this.
CG Gallery is a must, but a sprite viewer would be nice. Or even better, a screenshot generator.
The general high fantasy setting and the modern setting. Both are ok, but I wouldn't mind if the "modern" setting were set in the last decade, or even intergrating the present with the future. As for the high fantasy setting, playing with the rules a bit would be nice.
Anything not the two above.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by indoneko »

Mostly art (we are talking about "visual" novel after all, not regular novel). I might drop a game halfway if the story suck, but I wouldn't even touch a game if the art is awful.

What tropes/stereotypes/setting do you see too much (or not enough) of?
Does "see too much" equal to "hate"? Because I might already acquainted with a great amount of certain trope/types/setting yet I don't hate them - and vice versa.

Hetero, but actually my preferences shouldn't matter to you. Just focus on the demographic that most well suited with your story.

Do you like being able to name the PC/bachelor/bachelorette?
Yes, but not really important.

You mean like cheat codes to unlock all the galleries without finishing the game first?

Absolutely. This is a must have in every VN.
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Selidor
Regular
Tumblr: gateofselidor

#7 Post by Selidor »

Story first, followed closely by art. I certainly have a strong preference for professional-quality art, but I would rather play a game with an amazing story and bad art than a game with amazing art and a bad story.

I play primarily BL and some otome games, and especially in the Japanese VNs there tend to be a lot of pushy, possessive love interests, with rape and sexual assault being common in BL games, and abusive dynamics in general common across both. I find these really distasteful and wish they were less popular.

I really like rivalry dynamics for romance in comics, books, TV shows and so on, but I haven't seen it as often in visual novels (especially without the rival going all tsundere on the protagonist).

Yes, definitely, although I'll still play a game with a straight protagonist if it looks good.

I prefer them to have a set name, but I think it's good to have the option to change it. I would feel really uncomfortable if the protagonist had the same name as me, for example.

I don't care if the option is there, as long as there's a set name I can use instead.

No. I don't see why a visual novel would really need any. I also work professionally in the industry and I've handled a lot of games with debug features, so cheats have rather lost their sparkle. To me, they take all the fun away from the game, and are just tools for testing it.

Yes, I think a CG gallery is really important for a visual novel.

High school. I've gone beyond the age where I really enjoy teen romances, and prefer stories about adults.

Sci-fi, and also mystery. These are much harder to pull off well, because they require greater research and planning than other genres like school dramas or fantasy, but I'd like to see more regardless.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

Just FYI- asking a forum of devs what kinds of VNs they want will differ greatly from what the general public wants. Developers skew older and tend to have more developed, or at least more unusual artistic taste - not trying to insult people, but generally they like things that are more "eclectic" than the norm so you won't find that much useful data from something like this versus trying to get as large a sample size as possible.

That said here are my answers:

The fact that a story can be bolstered through the use of art and music. Interactivity - I like being able to interact a lot and want to be able to make more straight up games once I have the budget for it, though I still like it when the story has center stage.

I don't play a huge amount of pure VN's compared to Japanese games in general, but I feel like as far as heroes are concerned there seem to be 2 extremes - very milquetoast (harem protagonist) or total badass with nothing in between.

Also, a strong female character isn't just a person who hurls insults at people, that's a stuck-up female character.

Nerds who aren't played for laughs or shown as evil masterminds.

Witty people. (Not the type who just think they're witty).

Don't care as long as any really in depth romance is optional.

Don't care at all as long as their name isn't ridiculous.

Doesn't matter that much to me.

Not really, though the option is nice, even if I can't earn achievements in that mode.

Yes.

High school, slice of life in general

Fantasy, sci-fi (at least ones with a strong original universe).

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#9 Post by Mammon »

I don't think any idea or trope is good or bad by definition. A story that is greatly anticipated or which immediately draws the attention of the reader can be dissapointing, while weird or a-dime-a-dozen stories can be greatly successful. Just look at Marvel and DC, Marvel's weirdest projects like Guardians of the Galaxy can be wildly popular thanks to the love and attention put in them, while DC's Suicide squad disappointed people who've been enthousiastic about it for months.

So, is the Highschool VN a greatly overused and tired idea? Yes, but you can still make it work and it's even a good start due to the many Creative Common assets in this genre if you're not a very good artist. Would a rare genre like abstract existentialism draw more attention and anticipation to your game announcement? Off course it would, but delivering on your promises will be very tough. In the end, it's all about what you can do and what you'll eventually release, not the idea it's based upon.

And tropes are actually rather useful to quickly give small characters some emotions. Labelling a girl 'Yandere' is a lot easier and effective than explaining her mindset and motivation, after all! For the main cast, tropes shouldn't be too heavily relied upon, but for smaller characters it can be a short-cut for someone's personality that will be appreciated by both you and the reader.

Having quite a few ideas for stories myself, I can give you a few tips you could keep in mind when deciding.(Sorry if it sounds preachy, I don't intent to lecture you but it might sound like that. I just hope to keep you from making some mistakes I made.)
1) What can you do? Don't think about what would be the most amazing story you have, think about which story could you make within a VN format. Which story can actually work the way you want it to with static sprites in limited poses? And more specifically, what can you (and your team) do in terms of art, coding and funding? If you haven't already, it might also be useful to make a small mock-VN you'll never release just to get a feel of what ren'py can and can't do for you.

2) Which stories have you actually thought out enough? You might think you have a story that will woo everyone, only to find out later that there are massive parts of the story missing or that you can't actually write it out the way you want it to. It's for the best to first write a summary of the story to see if there are any scenes you haven't accounted for, like character-building scenes you'll need to support one of those amazing scenes you envisioned. You might find out that your story doesn't actually entail anything aside from the three amazing scenes you came up with, or that you have no idea what to do in the first scene. Quite often, I come up with a cool idea for a story, only to realise it would require 80% of the scenes to be build-up towards that one scene.

3) Wait a few months before you start a project. When you come up with a new story it's very easy to think it'll be amazing, only to find your enthousiasm diminish over time. Eventually, you're stuck with a project you consider wasted time and you still haven't released anything. Especially with large, multi-volumed stories, this is important.

4) Try to envision some filler scenes, character-building scenes or even fanfics of your characters, and completely disregard your main story for this. Does this work? Do you actually feel like the characters have their own personality and do their actions and reactions come natural to you? If not, if you feel forced just working with these characters, you might be overlooking the feel of the story for the overall plot.

However, the kind of VN I want to do is a VN that is unique and hasn't been done before. I already have a few ideas in mind myself, along with character designs and plots, but I wanted to use this thread as some guidance to how I will structure things. The concepts are there, the stories are there, I just would like to have some little extra things to consider whilst forming my plans.
But if you already have a few plans, then I'd say stick to them. Focus on what the story needs and what would work best for you, not on what the people would like to see.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#10 Post by Sonomi »

When I read a visual novel, I tend to mostly look for three things:

1) Is the art good? I must apologize in advance for my viewpoint on this matter, but remember that it's only my opinion. Graphics are imporant in visual novels for a number of reasons: it's the first thing people will see, and I daresay many use this to judge whether or not they'll want to read it, it helps convey emotion far better than writing, and it helps convey the physical setting far better than writing. A picture is indeed worth a thousand words, but a thousand words seldom create the same impact as a well-drawn picture. When I read a visual novel, I want the "visual" part of it to reduce as much mundane description of the environment as possible. Because I don't wish to read two paragraphs of how green the leaves are in a forest (unless it happens to be pertinent to the story). I'd rather focus my attention on what I came for. Character development and storytelling.

That brings me to the second point.

2) Is the writing good? Again, sorry but... This one will actually hinder my ability to finish a VN. There've unfortunately been several occasions where I simply stopped reading a VN because I could not get past the number of typos or style of writing. I've completed novels with art styles that I did not like, but this is another thing entirely. Because a novel will still be a "novel" without the pretty pictures. More importantly, this is where we get the narrative, the character interactions, the immersion. It is difficult [for me] to like a VN overall if I can't enjoying reading it.

So you might wonder what I mean by good writing. Good writing for me is typo-free and follows most grammatical standards. I say "most" for a reason. If (for example) you're writing a story in the first person, I expect to see fragments here and there.

E.g.
She can't be serious. No, just no. Not a chance in Hades.

As far as I know, a fragment is a sentence without a verb. I don't believe that everyone thinks, or even speaks for that matter, in complete sentences all the time. Some rules can be broken when it makes sense to do so. Stylistically speaking, the rest is up to the writer.

3) Is the music good? I don't have much to say about this because I hardly see occasions where this is an issue. I look for music that fits the emotion of the scene. Happy music tends to correspond with major scales while somber music leans toward minor...not sure if that's even relevant though.

I see too much of the unsuspecting male protagonist. This protagonist has no goals of his own besides keeping his head down and living a normal life (with no explanation as to why) and the plot brings any interesting events to him without any effort on his part. I like MCs who have a personality of their own, but I acknowledge that others may have different preferences.

I don't see enough female protagonists generally. A lot of visual novels go into harem territory, which makes me wonder why this seems to be a problem in the first place when it comes to writing female characters. I say this because in those "harems", it's almost obligatory to have a range of girls with entirely different personalities. Sometimes even done well with a logical backstory and everything. I'd like to see a writer instead take one of those characters and put her into a story of her own as the protagonist. Imagine reading a narrative from the kuudere, tsundere, dandere, shy girl, tomboy, or childhood friend's point of view. It doesn't need to be about falling in love with X character either. Just in the typical sense of a character having a goal, something preventing her from reaching it, and her doing something about it. I think it would be interesting.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#11 Post by Mammon »

Sonomi wrote:What about VNs interests you? (Art, story, immersive ability)

When I read a visual novel, I tend to mostly look for three things:

1) Is the art good?
2) Is the writing good?
3) Is the music good?

Sonomi makes some good points (which I removed in the quote because it created a wall of text). With the art I'd like to give a specific example I remember all too clearly: Seduce me. Their art is good and consistent, but takes some getting used to. I think the problem lied in them using anatomically correct faces on anime heads, resulting in the eyes being too high. Not really a problem because you stop noticing it soon enough, but they made one mistake: The first sprite that the reader saw was that of a teacher who wasn't a very important character at all, and this reflected in the quality of her sprite compared to the rest. That first impression resulted in quite a lot of flak on Steam.

The writing is important as well, I'm no flawless writer myself but sometimes you see a game with English so bad it's offputting even when the story itself is good. If I have to read several sentences a second time just to understand what they mean, I don't want to read it any more. And a concrete disadvantage of bad English is that you can't make play-on-words, because the reader will think it's another typo. I myself have been using the joke of my protagonist saying 'pervect' instead of perfect (I know it's dumb, but it's the only pervert-related wordplay I could come up with, okay? :oops: ), but that joke wouldn't work if people thought it was just another typo. So before you can go breaking grammar rules for effect like Sonomi said, make sure the reader knows it's intentional.

The music can be problematic at times in my experience. Yes, as long as you get the right mood for the right situation it tends to be fine and music can really elevate a scene, but be sure not to overdo it. If you make super-invigorating music play during a rather normal scene, it will feel like it's trying to hard to be something it's not. An example is a show I saw a few days ago called 'Heel Holland bakt.' It's a Dutch tv-show (I'm dutch btw) about people baking stuff, and I don't think I need to say it's not that action-packed. So when they played 'Requiem for a dream' in the background, it felt gravely out of place and I just couldn't take them seriously.

And I wholeheartedly second Sonomi's oppinion about both unsuspecting male protagonist being overused and strong female protagonists being too scarce. It's why I actually prefer to play otome over otaku, as romancing the protaggirl through the eyes the romanceable male trope tends to make a better game then the other way around at times. Take for example the recently released 'The lady's choice', I can relate myself to the two romanceable characters much better than the average protagonist because they actually have a personality (even if mine is nothing alike theirs) and the actual protagonist was a much stronger and more likeable female character than most romanceable girls in otaku games.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#12 Post by Desichan »

Honestly, everything you mention in this question appeals to me. But if I really have to pick, I would say that I very much appreciate immersion, where an author can actually manipulate the emotions experienced by the player. I also love when there's twists or dark scenarios in games.

Tsunderes, and Kuuderes. I don't really like characters who'll just consistently have no affection towards the reader. This is just my preference, I don't like em.

Yanderes. Hidden eyes. A character ends up being manipulative. Oh and untrustworthy narrators.

I must say, this doesn't affect me whatsoever. I'm a heterosexual girl, and my personal taste in romance stuff in general, gears towards gxb. Bisexual characters are fine, I just doubt I'd personally be interested.

Yeah, though if the main character is a very fleshed out character in and of themselves, I don't mind too much if I can't.

I haven't seen this feature much, but that actually sounds fun.

Depends on what they're for. If this is like a cheat for a locked final route, I probably will think it's an excuse for lazy people to not have to play the whole game.

I mean, I don't dislike it, but I'm not the cg collector type. (Also, cgs have way more impact on me, when they're happening in the game.)

I mean, I'm not particularly one for sci-fi, but that's not very common.

Fairytale-esque settings. (I love the idea of a character being whisked off to like Wonderland or whatever!)

Hope these answers are a bit helpful!

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#13 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

Jerminator's post on originality is actually a good read that will help you out. I would definitely read it and go from there. These questions can be helpful, but I think simply doing what that post says should be suffice enough. Because, in the long run, it shouldn't be so much about trying to be original and not do what everyone else does, but rather how good your story/characters/ideas are and how you execute them. That's why there are tons of very similar (if not the same) characters that exist in the world and one is more liked than the other.

I do love art, but in the long run it's the story I care the most about and being able to immerse myself in it. Take Baldur's Gate, for example. That game isn't the most amazing in terms of graphics, but frickin' A' the story is AMAZING and EPIC! Like, I've put years into replaying that game over and over and I LOVE it. In fact, I loved it so much, that I used it as inspiration for my own VN story. I also really love characters that are funny or friendly or have layered personalities; ones that I will fall for simply cause their personality is awesome.

I honestly fell like I see too much of the Yandere/Tsundere, princes/princesses, and innocent girl/bad boy tropes. I'm not saying I've never played these games, nor have I not liked ones featuring these tropes, but those are the ones I feel are overdone.

This feels like a tough one to answer, cause I feel like all other tropes are represented enough that I've seen them or I just honestly can't think of any right now.

Doesn't matter, as long as the PC fits the storyline and their sexuality isn't literally forced down our throats in order to seem edgy. Sexuality honestly doesn't even matter. If the story is good and the same goes for the characters and even the art, then I don't really care about sexuality. Personality is the only thing I care for, whether in real life or in game.

I do, yes. But, I'm not mad if I can't name my character.

Interesting concept. I've yet to see a game that I've played do that, though.

O_o Why?? Just curious, cause I don't really see a reason for them. But, sure, why not? It'd be something new I've never seen in a VN game before.

I do, but it doesn't hurt me one bit if I don't have one. I always save before CGs so I can replay the scenes, so it doesn't matter to me.

Everything, honestly. But, like I said up above about originality- it's not the genre that should matter, it's how you execute it.

Hmm... psychological is the only one I can really think of.