Full time developers

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

Re: Full time developers

#16 Post by juunishi master »

@Divona: I saw your game this evening in itch.io! (Here's the link for anyone curious https://bionicpenguin.itch.io/moonlight)

The artwork is gorgeous!

Anyway. I have hard times considering myself as a "full time developer" eventhough my full-time job is a game programmer at local studio. (Maybe I'm just denial?) In my full-time job, I work on various kind of games.

Personally, I have more passion in writing than programming. That's why I looked around for part-time work in VN lineup (and recklessly start personal side-project VN).

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#17 Post by papillon »

I'm obviously full time but a bit lazy about reading these threads lately :)

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#18 Post by Kinmoku »

papillon wrote:I'm obviously full time but a bit lazy about reading these threads lately :)
Yay, Hanako Games ^_^ Are you still enjoying it? Do you ever go to game or anime events? I went to GDC a couple of years back but found it a little hard for VN devs >_< Although, there were a few cool writers I got to meet and talks I got to see :)

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#19 Post by Morhighan »

I do this full time. I barely scrape by, but it's the only thing I can do since I can't hold down a normal job due to my Lupus. But now that I've been doing this "professionally" since 2013 I don't think I can do anything else. :)

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#20 Post by sendo »

I'm doing it full-time right now but it may change in the future, or at least until my funds run out haha (though I can always freelance to amass funds.)

I really do enjoy doing this though and I find that I'm a much happier person doing this than any other work. :3
Finished VNs:
Image Image

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#21 Post by papillon »

Kinmoku wrote:
papillon wrote:I'm obviously full time but a bit lazy about reading these threads lately :)
Yay, Hanako Games ^_^ Are you still enjoying it? Do you ever go to game or anime events? I went to GDC a couple of years back but found it a little hard for VN devs >_< Although, there were a few cool writers I got to meet and talks I got to see :)
I had to go to GDC this year because we were up for an award (which we knew we wouldn't win, but it meant free tickets with access all to the talks and stuff, and that part was fun). I'm very anti-social and useless at networking so I wouldn't ordinarily find it worthwhile.

We've done Fanime a couple of times and may again some year if I go back to the US again, but the amount of work involved in getting a full booth set up and camping it throughout the course of a convention is quite exhausting. I prefer my digital life. :)

Barzini
Regular
Projects: Seat of Power, Our Final Moments, A More Beautiful World, Forgotten, Not Lost
Organization: Afterthought Studios
Tumblr: letsafterthoughtstudios

#22 Post by Barzini »

Full time developer checking in. It is do-able but you really need some luck as well as lot of long term planning in my opinion.
Founder of Afterthought Studios

Working on:
A More Beautiful World
Forgotten, Not Lost
Our Final Moments
Seat of Power

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#23 Post by sake-bento »

papillon wrote:
Kinmoku wrote:
I had to go to GDC this year because we were up for an award (which we knew we wouldn't win, but it meant free tickets with access all to the talks and stuff, and that part was fun). I'm very anti-social and useless at networking so I wouldn't ordinarily find it worthwhile.

We've done Fanime a couple of times and may again some year if I go back to the US again, but the amount of work involved in getting a full booth set up and camping it throughout the course of a convention is quite exhausting. I prefer my digital life. :)
x2

I go to a lot of conventions to sell VNs, and it's extremely exhausting. I've always had fun, but once you add up the price of a table, badge, hotel room, flight (or gas), food, and printing all the games in the first place, you're lucky if you break even on costs.