Emoting without a face?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

Emoting without a face?

#1 Post by Desichan »

Hey guys, I'm just curious what you think about making sprites that have a face you can't see whatsoever...

For example, I have this guy, with a mask on his mouth, and bangs covering the entirety of his eyes, but I wanna make sure he kind of can emote, but my best clue how, would be by making little word type bubbles appear above his head, with things to symbolize how he feels.

What would you guys think to do in such a situation?

Darkmoonfire
Regular
Completed: Christmas Project
Organization: Lunarescent Wings
Tumblr: darkmoonfire

Re: Emoting without a face?

#2 Post by Darkmoonfire »

Ideally if you had the time/money, you could use multiple poses to use body language to emote.

I know that anime has a few symbols that are put on peoples heads to indicate emotions, like the sweat drop or the red cross-popping vein symbol. It's a bit similar to the speech bubble idea.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#3 Post by Mammon »

Like darkmoonfire said, poses or anime symbols would be your best bet. An emoji(-ish) textbubble could work too, I've seen it before but that's more an RPG game thing. And if neither works, you could give him an array of sound effects.

You should probably anticipate that unless you get a wide variety of poses to convey a lot of nuanced emotions, all of these solutions will come with a loss of character depth and seriousness. Even if their lines and actions suggest a serious character, the audience won't consider them as such in most cases. In the event that you do plan on a serious character, having no expressive emotions or doing it through written channels only would be the only viable course.

(If your game features full voice-acting this might also be a way around the problem.)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

RotGtIE
Veteran

#4 Post by RotGtIE »

The purpose of concealment is concealment.

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#5 Post by Desichan »

Oh wow, okay you guys all address some very good points, which have certainly helped me understand this a bit more. I never thought about if you want to convey the character seriously or comically, and when I think of this, it makes it really easy to figure out what to do.

But yeah, all of your guys's points are really great. For example @mammon, you pointing out how it'll make the character be considered less serious unless they have countless movements, is very interesting to think of. The more I think of it as well, I feel like the fact the person may seem cartoony and not be taken seriously, actually will work for my project.

But yeah, great points that everyone addressed!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

You can mess with the mask and give it face-like eye movements if youre willing to embellish it a little. Like the eyes widen despite the fact that it's an unmoving mask.

Also, body language of course, like with the hands.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#7 Post by Katy133 »

I actually read somewhere that characters with hidden or minimalist designs will cause viewers to identify with them more, because the viewer has to use their imagination to fill in the details of the character, and will end up filling those details with concepts personal and individual to them. That's why people tend to find pixel art and minimalist/kawaii art "cute."

A good example of this would be the designs of the titular characters from "The Three Robbers" children's book:

Is their skin really blue, or is it the blue tint of the night? Do they have beards, or are they clean-shaven? Are they triplets? Siblings? Friends? We don't even know for sure from the narration if they're male or female.

Like RotGtIE pointed out, characters who are dressed to conceal themselves usually do so for a reason. The robbers dress like this because they're wanted by the authorities. So, there's an in-story reason for them to look like that.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!