Favourite point of view? what do you think of 2nd person?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

Re: Favourite point of view? what do you think of 2nd person

#16 Post by Vegeluxia »

Selidor wrote:I don't like second person at all. I don't play games to be myself, or base customisable protagonists on myself, I see the protagonist as a character I'm creating and manipulating, and it makes me uncomfortable when the game essentially turns around and tells me that actually the protagonist is me.
I feel the same. I prefer the character in the story to be separate from me. Second person makes me extremely uncomfortable in almost every scenario I've ever experienced it---and it's especially weird in the romance genre. I want to experience it through or with the MC, I don't want to actually be the MC.

It kind of pulls me out of the immersion sometimes too. Like, "why would I do that? That isn't me." especially in cases were idiocy is the only option, or there aren't very many choices to make.

In visual novels, I tend to really like first person (which I actually don't really like in a "novel" novel), but I don't have any problems with third person or anything.

Honestly though, if you think second person is the best voice for your story, use it. I wouldn't just do it if your only reason is because it's lesson common.