How viable is using stock images for crowdfunding a vn?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Enchant00
Regular

How viable is using stock images for crowdfunding a vn?

#1 Post by Enchant00 »

I'm considering crowdfunding a vn and I know that two important things that you should have is a trailer and a playable demo. I think my main concern is whether or not to use stock images as a place holder for some art assets (IE:backgrounds); my plan was that if successful,I'll use the crowdfunding to commission an artist for the bg.

- So I'm just wondering, has anyone used stock images to crowdfund a project with the goal of having better quality art assets if funded successfully?

- Also, has anyone used stock images(Specifically Backgrounds) for their trailer? Because now that I think about it, it's very hard to make a trailer without any solid backgrounds from your game and since your using stock images then the trailer is more or less aesthetically different then what the game would be in the future :lol:

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: How viable is using stock images for crowdfunding a vn?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

I'd say it's a long shot to be able to pull it off with stock character images. Stock backgrounds on the other hand should be fine. Characters though are some of the most important parts of the game, so not having them complete will make people unable to have an idea of what the final project will look like, defeating the point of a demo.

Enchant00
Regular

#3 Post by Enchant00 »

Hmm I see so ideally you'll use original character art but for backgrounds you can use stock images until your project is funded enough for you to commission original Bg's. So do you think its viable to use stock bg's for trailers and the games demo? Thanks :lol:

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

I agree with Sundownkid, all the art except for the backgrounds should be original to really draw attention. Of course creative commons can be used but those won't really inspire the crowdfunders. However your OP suggests that you're mainly asking about the bgs, and many people use CC ones for that including people with kickstarters.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

One thing I try to judge when crowdfunding stuff is how committed the creator is to their game, and how likely the creator is to succeed in making it. I think the more placeholder art there is, the less confident I am about both of them. For example, without an artistic team on the project, I don't see how the creator can possibly make a realistic estimate of how much the art required to complete the game would cost. To me, that makes me think the project would have a high risk of running out of money before completion, which reduces my motivation to invest in it.

It's also sort of - I like to see that the creator has invested money in their own project, if they're asking me to invest alongside them. So a demo with only placeholder art makes me think that the creator isn't willing to put their resources into it - why should I?

A project with some final art, and some placeholder art, is way better in my book - in fact, I kind of consider that mix a bit charming, when I encounter it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

teagirlvn
Deviantart: teagirl-vn

#6 Post by teagirlvn »

I don't see what wrong with using stock images as long as it suit your game and you have the permission to use it, certaintly using photography backgrounds for anime or cartoon style game is totally a letdown.
Try to search for some japanese market site, they sell drawing background sets as stock images that means to use for Visual Novel, anime style at pro level with really cheap prices, one of my cilents showed me the site once, but I didn't notice it's address, I remember they have an english version for non-japanese user, and they sell all kind of stuffs like sprites, soundtracks etc...
If you don't have a lot of budget and your game take place in modern days, you can search for Uncle Mugen Resources, I think he opened a topic in this forum to share his free 3d backgrounds some years ago.