Can a visual novel "without sight" be good

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Vegeluxia
Regular
Projects: The Exorcynic (WIP), CPU-CITY (WIP)
Tumblr: lemonylulu
Deviantart: Vegeluxia

Re: Can a visual novel "without sight" be good

#16 Post by Vegeluxia »

Aegis312 wrote: And when I realized I couldn't have art because it would be a jumbled up mess, I created a story where the protagonist is kind of blind, but it doesn't look like a "budget dodge"
So from what you say im guessing it depends if i write well...and know how to record sound effects
Without visuals, the writing is definitely going to have to be especially good. I mean, I wouldn't play a badly written game just because it had pretty things to look at, but strong writing is going to have to be what also pulls people in, in this case.
Aegis312 wrote:
Well...the novel is called White and i put some philosophy that i think is cool on how he sees white instead of black...so would black text on a white screen work?
You could, but the level of eye strain would be higher, and it might turn some people off. At the very least, NVL mode might help, so there's some kind of overlay between the background and the text and not just black on white.

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#17 Post by bluebirdplays »

I think it can be good, but to that end, as a player I feel like I'd really need something to stare at besides a black empty void. Silhouettes could actually be pretty cool to use in this type of game, because we'll have an image to focus in on and it says something about the character if they don't remember what someone looks like and can only imagine in their head.

You could have a pretty cool story idea, just be all creative and get into the mind of your character and how she feels.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by gas »

You can't draw, but you can do graphics.
And use it as a blind person senses, translated into visual.
You don't need art skill for that.
Like animating concentric waves, when the character approach, or hurt something.
Sources of sound. They express direction and intensity with waves on the sides.
An hand, with changing color, to express the tactile sensation.
Use an heartbeat indicator to state the tension.

All hover a white screen. Is quite an experience!
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

ISAWHIM
Veteran

#19 Post by ISAWHIM »

Blind people use other senses more-often, to obtain "visuals" of the world they "see". Being blind does not mean that you brain isn't "visualizing" things... You are just not visualizing the light which bounces off of things.

Emotions have colors, smells have shapes, sounds have patterns, touch has textures... Combine all of that, and you have a unique "blind story".

Being all white, is almost kind-of being ignorant to the reality of what a blind person deals with. Few are truly blind, without any actual sight. Most are just, "legally blind", without an ability to interpret focused individual beams into a clear image. (That is why most wear glasses. That non-focused flashing and saturation hinders the other abilities which they have a greater dependence on. Just as it does for us... But because we depend less on the other senses, and more on visuals, the distractions are incorrectly thought to be negligible.)

Shapes for smells... Flowers (perfume), Circle (smooth), Star (bitter), Wavy-lines (putrid)...
Colors for emotions... Red (pissed), Orange (hungry), Blue (depressed), Green (ecstatic)...
Patterns for sounds... Sharp jagged (noise), Scattered (soft sounds), Tiny (whispers), Many (loud)...
Textures for touch... High-contrast (rough), Blurry (soft), Bristles (furry)...