Popularity

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#31 Post by PyTom »

eclipse wrote:Yes, it is. I'm getting less than that for AP according to my site stats. Though I think it's mostly GSK's fault which is getting practically all the downloads... Not like that's bad or anything! :) :P
Please note that you're leaving out the renai.us download stats for AP, which are similar to those for MW. (At least on first inspection.) As time goes on, renai.us seems to make up an increasing portion of downloads, since everyone who was specifically looking for the game had already found it, whereas renai.us caters to people new to the community.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#32 Post by mikey »

My D/L stats over the last month... no idea! :P :P
Too bad, but I'll get a half-year report at the end of summer (maybe).

But it's a good thing that there are always new people coming and getting the games.

One thing that interests me is the forum stats. Are there any? Looking back a year ago this place was almost dead. It'd be nice to see stats of that as well.

Although I think it doesn't matter all that much, because honestly I am happy about the quality of the posts (sure, among some of the pointless funny ones) - most of them help in game-making or share opinions about games and issues around them. :P Very nice and helpful place to be.

PyTom>> That's true, I would also think that many new people come to renai.us and get their games from there. Finding manga.sk/atp on your own ^_^ - unlikely. So I think the importance of renai.us will increase, in the way that it can become the one-stop free ren'ai games central.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#33 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote: One thing that interests me is the forum stats. Are there any? Looking back a year ago this place was almost dead. It'd be nice to see stats of that as well.
There are. Webalizer reports 137 visits a day, although I'm not quite sure what it counts as a visit. That number is basically unchanged from last month, but is up a bit from January and February.
PyTom>> That's true, I would also think that many new people come to renai.us and get their games from there. Finding manga.sk/atp on your own ^_^ - unlikely. So I think the importance of renai.us will increase, in the way that it can become the one-stop free ren'ai games central.
What's actually interesting is how people get to renai.us. While a large number of people come from anipike or google, a similarly large number of people (in aggregate) come from the pages game makers.

As an example, so far this month, 104 people have followed a link from ATP's web pages to renai.us.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by mikey »

Hmm... interesting. So linking to friends DOES make sense after all ^_^

I have also submitted my site (in addition to anipike) to AnimeSpy http://www.animespy.com/Game/index.html , it's relatively non-fussy adding it, people can rate it and so on, so you can give it a try in the next awareness offensive.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#35 Post by rioka »

re animespy>> Thanks for reminding me of the place - I'll submit my site's later. They've improved, I see... And ack - they still have my old site links... I should change those... <.<'

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#36 Post by PyTom »

Okay, time to update this with another month's worth of data. Since the last time I gave numbers, Moonlight Walks has been downloaded 218 times, for a total of 1159 downloads since it was first released.

The Megatokyo ad brought in 855 people, and it was while it was running that Moonlight Walks got its thousanth download. This was despite it only being mentioned in the navigation of the linked page.

Anyway, the latest graph is below. Remember, the newest data is to the left.

Till next time.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by mikey »

That's really something! Over a thousand, congratulations! My site is moving to a new server, so I'll ask if I could get some fancy stats for my games as well now ^_^. It's also good to see the MT ad worked.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#38 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

Is that the top ad or the bottom box ads?

These stats are really useful for planning.
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#39 Post by PyTom »

Yang Sei Fu wrote:Is that the top ad or the bottom box ads?

These stats are really useful for planning.
That was two days worth of a text only bottom box ad on Megatokyo.com. The text only ad cost me $30, while a graphical ad costs $40. Just a heads up... the ad had a really long lead time. (I'd say a month in advance.)

I'm glad this is useful for planning... that's why I'm putting this information out there, to help grow the original english game community (both commercial and free). That was also my reason for promoting everyone's NaNoRenO game, and for hosting this site and the archives.

Call it enlightened self-interest.

BTW, how is PJ going?

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#40 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

You wanna know? Why don't you MSN or email me about it? I'd like to discuss about this personally...

OK, what I can say about PJ is...we have 6 members, 5 are graduating HS this year, and it's crunch time now. Our oldest member just got married today (Congrats Doug!).
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

RedSlash
Veteran

#41 Post by RedSlash »

Congrats on the high school graduations and marriage! Hopefully you'll all pursue University and see your plans (PJ) come true. Good luck.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#42 Post by PyTom »

I'm commandering this thread for breaking news...

For some reason, the Ren'Ai archive is undergoing a huge spike in traffic today. We've already pushed 3 gigs today, out of 19 gigs total for May. On our best days, we normally hit a gig or so of transfer. So this is unprecedented.

For what it's worth, the downloaders seem to be coming from anipike.com... anyone know if anything changed there that would cause more people to know about the archive?

I'm not complaining... but I am curious.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#43 Post by Megaman Z »

PyTom wrote:I'm commandering this thread for breaking news...

For some reason, the Ren'Ai archive is undergoing a huge spike in traffic today. We've already pushed 3 gigs today, out of 19 gigs total for May. On our best days, we normally hit a gig or so of transfer. So this is unprecedented.

For what it's worth, the downloaders seem to be coming from anipike.com... anyone know if anything changed there that would cause more people to know about the archive?

I'm not complaining... but I am curious.
lookie here! (it's near the bottom. also listed are ATP projects and Renai games [mikey's and eclipse's (I think), relatively])
~Kitsune Zeta

Beta
Regular

#44 Post by Beta »

darnit, Zeta beat me to the punch... (we both found it at about the same time, I just got here slower...)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#45 Post by PyTom »

Yes, we've been listed at anipike for a while, I believe. What's weird is that we're getting a much larger number of hits this week, as opposed to the last few weeks. Since Sunday, we've gotten 289 hits from anipike, as opposed to 124 hits in the entire week before that.

The archive is also geting an increased number of hits from creator's sites that are listed on anipike: 125 vs 41 from http://www.renaigames.com, 67 vs 19 from http://www.manga.sk. It's like the whole category increased in prominence.