Thoughts on death of Steam Greenlight?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Thoughts on death of Steam Greenlight?

#31 Post by papillon »

Curators already attempt to abuse their positions in order to earn money - get a bunch of followers through underhanded means, then blag devs for '5-10 keys for our reviewers', then sell the keys. And the more effort you have to put into policing them and making sure they're following all relevant laws, the better off you would have been just hiring employees to begin with - which they don't want to do.

Valve do actually have some testing staff that do basic does-this-game-exist-and-run checks before approving a title for launch. However, devs are fully capable of screwing the title up AFTER it's been vetted, through accident or malice. There was one guy, I can't remember what the title of either product was, but he went through greenlight and valve approval with what looked like a low-quality but harmless runner game, and once it was approved and posted to the site, changed everything to be expletives about how much valve sucked and pictures of him giving them the finger and so on.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#32 Post by jack_norton »

Barzini wrote:Hi everyone,

About 20 minutes after the news broke, I hopped onto my computer and straight away sent an email to Valve and we had a discussion on what was actually, a frank exchange on the industry's way of publishing games as a whole. In fact, they even asked me for detailed answers regarding what I felt of the visual novel industry. Honestly, I feel that if all of you aspire to publish on Steam, please make your voice known and heard.
I don't understand, you were happy or not with the change?
I am sure that a $5k fee will never happen. However just $1k/each game would be enough to stop many shovelware games I've seen recently.
I agree with what Latewhiterabbit said. There's need of a way to do some MINIMUM quality check from Valve, otherwise it will become like the Google/Apple appstore full of fart apps :lol: :lol:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

#33 Post by bluebirdplays »

It's too early for me to have a strong opinion either way. As someone currently working on a game though, it does concern me about paying a fee to get in. $100 was relatively reasonable for small-time developers, but it could be easily abused, so I understand why they want to change the system. I just think that whatever fee they decide on will directly affect future kickstarters and will just push visual novel development further until you get those funds.

At the same time, if it was a high price like $5,000 (which I doubt), I'd enjoy Itch.io reaping the benefits and maybe even benefiting from the change.