NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

NaNoRenO is underway!!

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

And they're OFF! In Europe, the Brits have started within the past few minutes, and the continental Europeans have been going for an hour or two already. The Americans still have a few hours to wait. But for all of them, the spirits are running high.

In the next 31 days, romance will be created! Stories will be lived! Good and bad endings will be written, characters take on lives of their own. The joys and sadnesses of ren'ai in all its forms will be explored and put into code... and then experienced by player after player.

Good luck, all! :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Okay, first day of work for me as well - was I the first to start? Yes! Anyway, my plans for today are choosing the BGs. We'll see how that works out as I have loads of IRL things to take care of. I have to send out the specs for the characters today as well. See you guys in the evening.

Grey
Veteran

Re: NaNoRenO is underway!!

#3 Post by Grey »

chronoluminaire wrote:And they're OFF! In Europe, the Brits have started within the past few minutes.
Whawuzzat? This brit only just woke up -_-

Still now I shall leap hop into action. It would be straight off with the story, however I've just remembered I need to implement something in the engine before I start. So make that hop into action.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by chronoluminaire »

Well, I have to admit I didn't start writing my game at the stroke of midnight either :P In fact, I wrote that post before writing a character of my game! But nonetheless, I did start shortly after, and wrote for about an hour (although it sure doesn't look like an hour's worth -.-;; ) Meeting my character artist tomorrow, and knowing her she'll have already started the "doodles" (as she calls them) which will become gorgeous character pics...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

I'm starting out with my BGs. By my estimates, they should be done by the end of the day and that'll give me some time to start writing the script. ...Hopefully, that won't take all week... <.<'

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by mikey »

Ugh, today's not been so great for my project - I wanted to do the BGs (well, perhaps I'll still have time later) and process them, but there were just a gozillion IRL things to take care of. Nevertheless, I've had a very very successful day and I feel it's also important, at least in this one month - to successfully eliminate all potentially time-robbing real world things (ah, the dreaded tax returns :evil: ), so you have more time later on and don't have to think about things in the back of your head.

BTW - was that a NaNoRenO feeling today or what? While walking in the city going from place to place, I thought about what the others are doing, how I am going to manage things... It's great!

eclipse>> the script by the end of this week... *envy, envy*
chronoluminaire>> my character artist didn't yet respond! *panic*... EDIT: oh good - I got her online now. :D

RedSlash
Veteran

#7 Post by RedSlash »

頑張って!!

Grey
Veteran

#8 Post by Grey »

OK, time to start again for the day. Yesterday wasn't as productive as I'd hoped, the engine needed more bodging than expected and it fought a bit. Still I think it's done until proven otherwise for the moment.
Also I had some Uni work to do, so I didn't get much story done :?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by mikey »

Agh... It's day 2 of NaNoRenO... To sum it up, I've been successful, even yesterday I found some time - today I wrote the script and it seems to go along nicely, although my original idea seems to be consumed by this other idea - oh well... as long as the word count increases... All in all, two very good days (and the second isn't over yet), even though I didn't expect them to be this good.

Oh, wait a second... check this...

Design = 100%
BGs = 50%
Story = 15%
Chara = 0%
Assembly = 0%
Testing = 0%
Music = 0% (optional)

Look at me! I'm like those cool fan-translators! :P :P

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

Yeah, I didn't get any actual work done yesterday. But that's kinda okay because (a) I knew I wouldn't because I have friends over on Tuesdays, and (b) yesterday kinda felt like day 2, because I got a start on Monday night after midnight :)

I've been hunting around for background images a bit today... takes a long time, but I think I've found ones for most of my locations, that are still copyright-released. I'll want to do some photoshopping of them at some point, naturally, but it's good to have them. And I'll be chatting to my character artist tonight and then get some time in the evening to do more writing!

Go for it, all! Keep it up, keep putting the time in, *making* time where necessary. I love the community exhortation feel of this :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by mikey »

Oh yes, I managed to write 4 more hours today and I got 50% of the story done (unedited though). so... thumbs up for myself! Well, I did learn today that I'll have one critical deadline this month, so I have to do things as fast as possible, because I may lose 2 or 3 precious days. Maybe even more.

And so I just treated myself to TopGear today, I love that show ^_^.

Plans for tomorrow: Press on the character artist, write one ending and negotiate some music if possible. Well, looks bad anyway - It will depend on whether there'll be time to do music. yeah, same o', same o'... :roll: But, it's good to know I'm ahead of schedule! Yay! :P (though the lack of sleep may eventually backfire... hmmm)

Grey
Veteran

#12 Post by Grey »

Hmm, I'd forgotten how hard filling in the spaces between the headings on my planning bit of paper were.

Yesterday: Rewrote nearly all the story I did on day 1. I'm a lot happier with it now. Today...I should be on my 2nd box!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by chronoluminaire »

I know very much what you mean, Grey. If we could just write the headings and let the user imagine the details, that would be much easier ;) It's perhaps even worse for me since I didn't have a particularly detailed plan before March 1st... this was deliberate, because any time I started planning beyond the very rough outline I found myself wanting to write actual script, which would be against the NaNoRenO rules. So it's all still a bit fluid... I had a gratifying discussion with my artist last night where she said "I know NaNoWriMo is meant to be about quantity not quality, and NaNoRenO is meant to be about just getting something finished rather than quality, but I am glad to hear you're going for quality too" *^^*

On a different note, I'm coming down with a cold and really not feeling good :(, which isn't helped by staying up writing visual novels till 1:30am like I have been doing ^^;; While a day off sick would certainly give me more time to write script, I don't particularly want NaNoRenO to get done at the expense of my paid employment... So if any of you are inclined to pray, prayers for my wellness would be appreciated. :)

Grey
Veteran

#14 Post by Grey »

*flicks chrono a prayer*

Yes, forget all this writing writing, maybe I just need to spend the month finding a way to code some sublimal messaging into my game that tells players they've just played something great :twisted:

Quality is important to me as well. I figure if I wouldn't want to play my own game for various reasons then who else will?

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#15 Post by rioka »

You guys have your own artists? Right about now, I'm feeling a bit envious...

Anyways, (blatantly copies mikey's list) here's how I'm doing so far:
Design = 100%
BGs = 100%
Story = 5%
Chara = 0%
Assembly = 10%
Testing = 10%
Music = 0% (optional)

To save time, I've decided to write the script directly into Ren'Py and test along the way so you'll see those go up practically simutaneously. I haven't decided if I want music or not yet... Well, I'll see if I have extra time...

A little information: I did the beginning sequence of my game and I can't wait till you guys see it! When it's all done of course... ;)