NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PixelWrangler
Regular

#151 Post by PixelWrangler »

Gloranor wrote:That being said, despite all the problems it was really fun :D
Grey wrote:Still, NaNoRenO's given me the motivation to get up to this point on my game, ne?
Reading these posts, it occurs to me that I haven't mentioned either of these two things.

Finding NaNoRenO and deciding to jump in mid-stream got me motivated to get farther along in a project in two weeks than I (most likely) would have otherwise. The time constraint caused me to think small-scale, and come up with a concept that I might not have otherwise.

And, despite not making the time limit, working on my NaNoRenO project has verified what I already thought: that I really enjoy making games. Ren'ai, FPS, RPG, DDR... whatever the game, it's fun to come up with a concept and drive it towards completion.

Whether or not your NNRO project makes the March 31st release deadline or not, whether or not you ever even finish your project, hopefully you will have gotten something out of NaNoRenO - be it a fun time, experience making games, meeting new people, or even coming to the realization that this really isn't your thing.

When it comes right down to it, the true spirit of NaNoRenO isn't found in the completion... it's found in the process. To all who have participated, regardless of your project status, a heartfelt "congratulations" and a tip of the proverbial hat to you. :)

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#152 Post by mikey »

Gloranor>> Well, it's surprising what a tidy and clear workspace can do for your project. Also, clear relationships help immensely. This is not to say that you have to be like me, as I don't really threaten people who work with me, but they understand, that when the deadline comes and they are not finished, I have a backup plan which will be executed instead, no matter how good the excuse. My musician-to-be (who is really really very good) got pulled off two projects already because of this, still I will give him more and more chances, but he understands that's the way I have to do it. My current soundtracks are not nearly as good as his music, but that's a trade-off I have to make when I want a game to be finished.

The other thing is that you really WANT to finish the game. I see absolutely no point in working on a game like Transfer Teacher (Milk Swim, etc...) for more than 3-4 months. Because there are many other ideas I have and I can't afford to get stuck. If you ever get stuck, it sucks out your enthusiasm and it will sometimes show in the game. Also, with long delays often comes one or two redesigns, which may make the game feel inconsistent.

Chronoluminaire>> 20.000 words?? *faints* That's much more than TT! Are you sure it's only 30 minutes of gameplay?? But it's great! A plot like that must have a fair amount of text to back it up. Can't wait, really.

Grey>> Oh no, to say it with the newly-found latin trend... Et tu, Brute? Unless some SWAN pulls off a surprise release, does this mean... there's going to be only three musketeers? (me, eclipse & chrono) - we could use an Aramis ^_^. Anyway, good luck and release soon!

It's too bad all the others like bookie, qq or PixelWrangler won't be able to meet the deadline. It's going to be even more difficult for them now, I would say, because there isn't that omnipresent pressure, even though it seems that the hardest thing of actually committing is behind them, but the days/months ahead aren't going to be much easier. Still, we will support you, so come back here for some energy whenever you need it :)

Albie

#153 Post by Albie »

Hello, my friends.

I am one of the people that will not (probably) make the deadline, at least with my game in full version. The "finishing work" is going to be made on the weekend. I will probably not have it throughly tested...

I've read in some previous posts about a "extended deadline"... What is it? Is it in action already? What are the plans?

:( It would be so good if I had discovered this community a week earlier!

Anyway, I and my team will not stop until the game is finished!

Regards to you all,

Albie

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#154 Post by mikey »

That's good news Albie, keep it up, if you say the finishing work is going to be done during the weekend, does that mean a release next week? Good luck in any case!

Albie

#155 Post by Albie »

Thanks for the encouragement, Mikey!

Anyway, I just realized one thing: Nanoreno ends at April 1st, my time zone, right?

Well, since I've been so busy lately, feeling that my days have more than 25 hours, I am also starting to believe that I live in a "Twilight Time Zone" :-) My April will start probably right after March 40th... Therefore, I think I will make the DEADline :D

Regards,

Albie

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#156 Post by Megaman Z »

there's a march 40th?
~Kitsune Zeta

Jerails
Veteran

#157 Post by Jerails »

Of course there is! Just like there's a Decnovetober the nth!
It's been a while, folks!

darkknight
Veteran

#158 Post by darkknight »

March 40th is right after march 39th duh...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Albie

#159 Post by Albie »

Well, some of my months have even more than 40 days, specially when there is a project deadline involved :-D

Once I worked in a project that finished on November 130th :D

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#160 Post by Megaman Z »

there goes my 365 1/4.594840835...-day year
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#161 Post by mikey »

So... it's slowly marching towards the end, huh... 3 hours to go in my timezone and even though NaNoRenO was over for me a few days ago already, there is going to be something missing...

I HAD FUN!! IT WAS GREAT!! THANK YOU ALL!! :cry:

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#162 Post by rioka »

All good things must come to an end eventually.... Until next year! Technically, you can start planning for it right now if you want. ;D

I must say... IT WAS EXCITING! ARIGATO MINNA-SAN! THANKS TO ALL FOR MAKING THIS A WONDERFUL FIRST-EVER NANORENO!

Gloranor
Regular

#163 Post by Gloranor »

I finished the scrip! :D

Now I only have to put everything into Ren'Py, draw 2 images, test and upload everything, and that in 27 minutes... :x
I guess I can't wander some timezones east? Or make it "One month after I began", whoich would be tommorow afternoon?

Gloranor
Regular

#164 Post by Gloranor »

Well, as anyone can see, I missed it :(
But I will finish it tonight, firstly because I can do it, secondly because I try to stay as near as possible to the Deadline,. and thirdly... well, if you drank that much coffee´you couldn't sleep for your life, anyway :roll: :lol:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#165 Post by chronoluminaire »

Hmmm... well, it's meant to be within your timezone, but there's still 8 hours left in some parts of America... If the game is out soon, we don't mind if you slightly missed the deadline ;) Some people have been working to the "1 month after I began" line, so... whatever lets us see your game soonest ;)