NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#46 Post by mikey »

chronoluminaire wrote:So, I've got all of tomorrow (Sunday) after about 2 or 3pm, and I really need to get a good fraction of the story written. It's a bit of a wrestling match with myself: after I've been writing for 20 minutes I have the inclination to just go and check such-and-such, and it's an effort to make myself sit down and write. Wish me luck!
Okay, why not do it "together"? I also have my Sunday from 3pm to insert backgrounds (which is very unrewarding, tiring and draining), so you know... I'll do my best and check back in the evening tell you what I managed to do. United we stand!

Gloranor
Regular

#47 Post by Gloranor »

I know that problem... oh I know it to well... *sigh*
Everytime I sit down and begin to write, I write 2-3 sentences and then I get distracted by something *incredibly* important like a link to japaneese-learning site, a link to a demo, an anime, a... well, actually anything at all :lol: :roll:

But Amatire will get finished ( and in time), only problem is that I will propably have to rewrite what I already wrote, because it really shows that it was not written in one go, the flow is really bad in some places.

May the muses be with all of us.

Yang Sei Fu
Regular

#48 Post by Yang Sei Fu »

If you have an old computer (pref. a 80486 on windows 95 and no internet and if necessary no music), move it to the most bland room in your house, then work on it there!

No more distractions. For me, I'm using my palmtop to write and translate my story...works well for say...school and coffee shops.
=/| ClearWind Design Studios |\=

Glasskitten

#49 Post by Glasskitten »

Even if the games are not finished by midnight on the last day of the month (which will not happen--you shall prevail!!!), I am still very excited about their releases. =^_^= Hurray for April First, hurray for Ren'Ai!

As for me, I wish my only distractions were the personal, ephemeral ones. I have a steady stream of large homework assignments coming at me (an essay and a lab write-up due tomorrow, for example), so I will be extremely fortunate if I can get five percent of the script for my crazy little epic done by April. There is always next year's IntRenAiMo...

On a completely unrelated note, I hope no one seizes the opportunity for April Fools' Day jokes.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#50 Post by chronoluminaire »

Glasskitten wrote:On a completely unrelated note, I hope no one seizes the opportunity for April Fools' Day jokes.
Yes... I have mused this. Last year it was quite funny, but this year... well... maybe... In any case, I *hope* to release shortly *before* midnight (my time), to avoid any ambiguity :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#51 Post by mikey »

So there it is! I worked for 5 hours, my mouse-clicking finger is all numb, but all BGs are inserted, which means I have a preliminary beta version! Sure, no sounds, no characters and subject to path tweaking, but nevertheless!

On a different note, April 1st is really tempting... but I'll do it as Chronoluminaire said, March 31st, just before midnight. This gets me thinking though, if more people do it this way, we'll be downloading new games and playing until the morning - which will make us very fresh for the next day :D Anyhow, I will probably play most of the games over the weekend that will follow. Can't wait!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#52 Post by rioka »

I'll try to make it for the 31st as well. Can't say for sure till I'm nearer the end of the month though... But that's cool! It'll be like Christmas all over again. =)

I don't know if any of us entering the NaNoRenO will have time to pull April Fools jokes but everyone else may... lol I'm kinda looking forward to seeing what will happen actually!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#53 Post by Taleweaver »

You REALLY don't want to know what I'm going to pull on you on April 1, eclipse ^_^
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#54 Post by Megaman Z »

Taleweaver wrote:You REALLY don't want to know what I'm going to pull on you on April 1, eclipse ^_^
uh-oh... this doesn't look good...

speaking of april fools like me, I wonder If PyTom is going to, say, release an unstable version of Ren'Py on april 1. (crosses fingers that this DOESN'T happen...)
~Kitsune Zeta

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#55 Post by chronoluminaire »

Thank you, mikey! It did actually help knowing you were working away on your NaNoRenO game at the same time I was. I got an excellent chunk of writing done. (I'd hesitate to put percentages on it. But I increased my total written for NaNoRenO by 33%.) Now, I really want tomorrow (Monday) to be as good, because I'm busy all day Tuesday and almost all of Wednesday.

Great to see you're making so much progress with your game yourself! You know, you are allowed to use all 4 weeks of NaNoRenO, mikey... ;)

What about the rest of you who've not posted for a while? Grey, Binki, others: how's it going so far? (Psst: It's okay if you've not got as far as mikey ;) )

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#56 Post by PyTom »

Megaman Z wrote:speaking of april fools like me, I wonder If PyTom is going to, say, release an unstable version of Ren'Py on april 1. (crosses fingers that this DOESN'T happen...)
I'm not planning on making a new, non-bug-fix release of Ren'Py anytime soon. Definitely not before 4/1, and probably not until my next game is finished, unless that game requires new features.

In fact, I think that the Ren'Py core is actually fairly mature, with the possible exception of a lack of voice support. I would expect future work to be more in the realm of adding new widgets, transitions, etc... things that don't affect you if you don't use them. I doubt that there will be big changes like the ones in 4.5-7... but, don't hold me to that.

I may release instructions on how to get Ren'Py games working on the Mac, now that I have at least one beta tester. (If anyone else wants to volunteer to help test the instructions, let me know.)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#57 Post by rioka »

Taleweaver>> Ooo~! With that kind of warning, of course I'd be that much more intrigued! Just like a cat... =^_^=

PyTom>> Voice support, huh? That would be an interesting feature to have/manipulate/work a story with... :wheels in brain start turning:

Nyna

#58 Post by Nyna »

Hmm. Well, I've been lurking about for awhile, and I finally decided to register and make a post. Yesterday, when I read about this, I suddenly decided to start making a game... And I think I should be able to finish it by the end of March if I push myself. So I'm going to try and make that deadline; who knows, maybe a deadline is what I need to get up and actually finish a game for once! :) I've got my map mostly completed... and the beginnings of my story... but no title... Hmm...

Dre
Regular

#59 Post by Dre »

Hahahaa....I've completed a background! And plan to get more done tomorrow. Still no where close to completion, but should get done before deadline I thinky. :?

Grey
Veteran

#60 Post by Grey »

The ticker is mocking me >_> :roll: 17 days indeed... Thats nearly 15 days, which is nearly half the project up!

I've got the same problem as you Chrono, just sitting down and writing for a while without getting up again is very hard. Still I'm slightly more than halfway through with the central storyline I think. I think once I've pinned the main one down I'll be able to get on with its deviations a lot faster.

There's still rather a large amount left, but I think there should still be time to have a shot at finishing before the first.

OK, then, let's read Megatokyo, have a drink, then get to work :roll: