NaNoRenO is underway!!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#61 Post by chronoluminaire »

Nyna wrote:Hmm. Well, I've been lurking about for awhile, and I finally decided to register and make a post. Yesterday, when I read about this, I suddenly decided to start making a game... And I think I should be able to finish it by the end of March if I push myself. So I'm going to try and make that deadline; who knows, maybe a deadline is what I need to get up and actually finish a game for once! :) I've got my map mostly completed... and the beginnings of my story... but no title... Hmm...
Wow! That's quite a challenge you're taking on there! But go for it. :D Don't worry about a title. Just put all your energy into getting the fundamentals of your game together: script and character graphics first, then some simple background graphics and get it into your engine. If you've not got experience with an engine yet then I'd say focus on writing the majority of your script before trying to import it into Ren'Py. Of course, if you have used Ren'Py before or have another engine in mind, then feel free to use that. Just get the story written :) Gambatte ne!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#62 Post by mikey »

Chronoluminaire >> we can do it again! :D It really helps! Unfortunately, the speed at which I am progressing does have a reason. I will have the next tuesday-to-tuesday lots of work, so I have to do as much as I can, to resume on the 23rd (starting tomorrow). So practically, I have one week. to go :cry: Anyway, I will do some minor adjustments when I have time, nothing ground-breaking though.

Nyna>> welcome! Good luck with everything - if you struggle with the name, just leave it for now - you can figure out the name after you finished the script (this way you can make it more to the point, like River Trap, Kaori). Another way is to name it after the place where it happens (Moonlight Walks, Amgine Park), or you can use a Japanese word (what exactly does Kasuka mean, Grey...? I found something like weak, faint...)

everyone>> I just realized how motivating NaNoRenO must be ,since we have people joining us in the middle of the month... :P :P

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#63 Post by Megaman Z »

to PyTom>> voice support is -technically- already in there. you just need something like audacity or some other suitable recording program to record the voices and save them as a wave file. then have them play at the appropriate time. I could pull this off in RPG Tsukuru 2003 and RPG Tsukuru XP (neither of which I have installed at the moment...)
~Kitsune Zeta

Grey
Veteran

#64 Post by Grey »

mikey wrote:or you can use a Japanese word (what exactly does Kasuka mean, Grey...? I found something like weak, faint...)
Hahah, I'm really bad at thinking up meaningful names. So the anming strategy for this (and a very incomplete game on my hard drive, and my NaNoRenO game) is based on thinking up words that kind of describe it, and plugging it into a English-Japanese dictionary to see if anything nice comes out :roll:

Kasuka while being those things too was primarily chosen for meaning Hazy.
My hazy first attempt at a renai game, or the somewhat hazy storyline featuring in it :roll:

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#65 Post by rioka »

lol Naming things is not my forte as well, imo. Wait till you hear my NaNoRenO game title - it doesn't sound ren'ai-ish at all... <.<'

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#66 Post by PyTom »

Megaman Z wrote:to PyTom>> voice support is -technically- already in there. you just need something like audacity or some other suitable recording program to record the voices and save them as a wave file. then have them play at the appropriate time.
Well, for proper voice support you also need a way of cancelling a playing sound when the next one is to play.

What I was thinking of was tool support for voice, to make the whole process easier.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#67 Post by Megaman Z »

*whacks self in forehead* forgot about that
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#68 Post by mikey »

Grey >> yeah, hazy was one of the meanings too :D
eclipse >> un-ren'ai-ish? Let's hear it!

I also have a great name for a game which seemingly has nothing to do with ren'ai but it's the perfect title because in fact it truly shows the ren'ai and everything surrounding it within that story. (good. perhap's I'll fish out this post in a year and you'll get what I meant, until then...) Man, I feel so mysterious... :twisted:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by chronoluminaire »

I always thought "Kasuka" was chosen for its "weak/bad" meaning in a piece of self-deprecation on Grey's part :) And disagreed: it was clearly my favourite fan-made ren'ai game I'd seen at the time, and debatably still is :)

As for titles: goodness me, aren't people getting greedy :twisted:

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#70 Post by mikey »

chronoluminaire wrote:And disagreed: it was clearly my favourite fan-made ren'ai game I'd seen at the time, and debatably still is :)
Yeah, the gameplay is just unsurpassed. You can come back again and again and it never feels samey.

On a different note...

Just an idea - I was thinking about crediting every person who participated in NaNoRenO within the ending credits of Transfer Teacher, to underline the NaNoRenO feeling, because I've drawn a lot of inspiration and determination from the NaNoRenO topics, and it's really something different than working in secrecy. Actually, NaNoRenO is the first time I openly discuss my progress and problems, normally I always worked silently. So... that's the reason behind it. Of course, I don't want to credit someone who doesn't want to be included, and also I want to hear you opinions on the "greetz", whether it's a good idea at all. It would go something like this...

ATP Projects was happy to work alongside...
- name 1
- name 2
- name 3...

I was thinking about simply crediting whoever gives me the okay, or if others would like to do the same, we could start a new thread where those who would be interested in crediting each other would add their names to the list - well, something like that. The problem would be with those who work silently, but I wouldn't want to mention someone who didn't say it was okay. So what do you think?

Grey
Veteran

#71 Post by Grey »

chronoluminaire wrote:I always thought "Kasuka" was chosen for its "weak/bad" meaning in a piece of self-deprecation on Grey's part :) And disagreed: it was clearly my favourite fan-made ren'ai game I'd seen at the time, and debatably still is :)
mikey wrote:Yeah, the gameplay is just unsurpassed. You can come back again and again and it never feels samey.
Aww, you're both so kind :D *melts happily*

Mikey, I don't see anything wrong with the idea.

Progress today: Good (for me anyway) until late this afternoon, when I realised a serious flaw in my save system.
I've theoretically now fixed it, but it knocked me out of my stride :(

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#72 Post by rioka »

Sure, I have no problem with it. I was considering putting in "A 2005 NaNoRenO game" at the beginning... If I put that, I can cap it off with a list of those participating at the end. =D

Progress report: Finished the story and working on characters.

Nyna

#73 Post by Nyna »

Sure, doesn't bother me. Depending on how much time I have left after my project is finished, I might put a tiny credits section in at the end. I might even put in a brief 2005 NaNoRenO thingy at the beginning if I have the time.

Progress Report: Well, due to a minor error on my part (accidentally hit the cancel button instead of OK...) I lost about half of yesterday's work. So today has basically been spent redoing all of that, plus a little extra stuff on the side. I've completely finished mapping, I have my basic character outlines completed, and I'm working on the beginnings of my story. Which is a lot more than I expected to have done in just three days. I even have a title now! :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#74 Post by mikey »

Thanks for supporting the idea! For starters then, I have a yes from:
- eclipse
- Grey
- Nyna

Progress report: Half-time! Time flies when you're having fun... Hmmm...
I got the characters the day before yesterday, so it should be smooth sailing, anyway, I'll be taking this week off :( , I have to.

The promised screenshot...
http://www.manga.sk/atp/ttsshot.gif

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#75 Post by chronoluminaire »

Crediting each other: yay! I was thinking of doing the exact same thing! :) Definitely count me in. I couldn't have done as much as I have so far without the support of you guys!